Noob with comfort and insulation questions

Hello, I just got into hammock camping towards the end of last summer. I bought a grand t ultra light, a Byer of Maine easy travel hammock, and made an attempt at a DIY gathered end with rip stop I found at Wally World. First impressions were that I have definitely been bitten by the hammock bug. I have a long way to go, however, before I can, get set up and comfortable in under a half hour with any consistency. I also am not crazy about having one side of my body pushed a little higher than the other on the wall side of the hammock. I am laying on the diagonal but wonder if I'm doing something wrong here. I'm not sure if getting a WBBB would solve this, with the foot box, or if I just need to get better at adjusting the suspension so that there is the right amount of sag.

So after all that, here is my question(s): 1) if having my feet touch and one side pushed up bothers me, is this something that can be overcome with better hammocks (ie wbbb or others with a foot box) or will I just be marginally more comfortable and still asymmetrically posed

2) if you we're new and still trying to figure out if this is for you, and wanted to give winter hanging a go, would you recommend getting a WBBB, and getting by with pad for bottom insulation and regular sleeping bag for top insulation until you could save up for underquilt, or would you recommend I get better at using what I have and spend the money on the underquilt?

Sorry for the giant explanation. I really appreciate any suggestions you have for me.

Thanks,
    Tim

Hammock
    DIY End Channel
    Tarp
    DIY Winter tarp
    Insulation
    UGQ and HG
    Suspension
    Kevlar, amsteel.
    Images
    Hey again taverre,

I don't actually have any experience with any of those hammocks... just my diy one but if you installed an adjustable ridgeline, that would allow you to get the same amount of sag every time and you'd be able to easily adjust so that you can find the right length and amount of sag for you. I know the gtul is quite a small hammock, but not sure about the Byer of maine one, if your not that short then this may be contributing towards your issues, most folk go with a hammock that is 10ft + long and 5+ wide.

How did the diy job go? did the lay feel any different? Here is some instructions on whipping a hammock, Just Jeff's site. I did mine with a sewn end channel and it was awesome!

I can only speak of my own experience but it only takes me about a minute to a minute and a half to set my hammock up... what suspension are you using?

Now to your actual questions, I would definitely fashion a ridgeline out of any old rope you have lying around and see if you can find your sweet spot before splashing out on another hammock although most folk seem more than happy with all their wb products. Not really sure what you mean by having your feet pushed up on side means?? Pics? Maybe because of the narrower hammock you are trying to lay TOO much on the diagonal?

Not sure of winter temps in Ohio but a few of the guys/gals here actually prefer pads, def worth a try but most who use them have dl hammocks and insert the pad between the layers. UQ for me was the way to go but everyone is different. Still using a s/bag on top though.

Wow, think my post is longer than your intro... summary... try and get comfy with what you have before splashing out, you'll probably end up buying loads more anyway but if/when you do there will be a much smaller learning curve if you already know what you're doing and you'll enjoy your new shiny stuff more. Try hanging with a ridgeline. Try your pad out, it might or might not be for you, then decide what you need/want. Most importantly have fun and HYOH (hang your own hang/hammock)

Welcome again and hope you enjoy it here,

Craig

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    Chinook 9.6x9.6
    Insulation
    AH New River UQ
    Suspension
    Came with the BB
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by taverre View Post
    2) if you we're new and still trying to figure out if this is for you, and wanted to give winter hanging a go, would you recommend getting a WBBB, and getting by with pad for bottom insulation and regular sleeping bag for top insulation until you could save up for underquilt, or ...?

This is exactly what I did. At the same time I learned about the ridge line and to see it in action on the WBBB. I got a nice flat diagonal lay with this set up and got a polyester under quilt. The weather you will be in, also should be a factor in choosing a hammock.
    I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority. - E. B. White (1899 - 1985)

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    All good questions, which I will attempt to answer with more questions.

How tall are you? Do you sleep on your back or side? Fetal position?

The hammocks you bought are very small. That could be the source of your discomfort. What is the length and width of the one you made?

Do you have a ridgeline on any of your hammocks. A ridgeline equal to 83% of the hammock length will insure proper geometry for a comfortable sleep.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Yeti UQ - Mamba TQ
    Suspension
    WB web suspension
    WELCOME TO THE FORUM from Athens, Georgia!!!!!!

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    The Byer Traveller is a rather short hammock. I bought several at $10.00 each as loaners. I loaned one to a friend who is 6'-0"+ tall. He slept in it one night and swore off hammocks forever. OTOH, my grandchildren love theirs.

Hello all, thank you for your responses so far. In answer to the questions above, I'm not that tall 5 ft 7 in. I tend to fall asleep on my back and wake up on my side or stomach. My DIY project went ok. I have used a ridge line but just as a means to support the mosquito net and tarp. I should take some time to figure out the best amnt of sag then lock it in with a ridge line. I will try and take advantage of one of the local hangs to see how the more experienced hangers do it. I'm not just new to hammock camping, I'm also new to camping. The main Thing I'm trying to figure out right now is if the investment in a better hammock like the WBBB will make a big difference in comfort and setup. Or if I'm better investing in an underquilt and getting more adept at using my cheaper hammocks. I have pretty limited funds, under $200.
    On a tangent, I have three little kids and have taken my oldest (then 4yrs old) hammock camping. I set up two hammocks like a bunk bed so I could help her out if she needed it. Does anyone have experience with hammock camping with small children? Are hammocks like the WBBB big enough for an adult and small child to share? Definitely not in the winter but spring or fall?

Very interested in your thoughts.

Thanks.
    Tim

Hammock
    WWM or tablecloth
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    shamu 40*
    Suspension
    UCR whoopie
    Images
    Quite a few questions... I would try a table cloth hammock for less than $20 you get a big hammock that is made out of a very similar material to the blackbirds if not the same stuff... You can make one easily and efficiently, my first one took 30 minutes, second one took less than 10...

On sleeping with kids or anyone for that matter, it is generally not going to work... Some people pull it off but most people regardless of size of people or size of hammock can snuggle but not sleep... I know I wouldn't sleep with my little one, she is 5 and somehow can manage to take up a whole king sized bed... So I made her her own table cloth hammock... She is happy as a big in a rug, one of her most asked questions out of the billion she asks a day is " dad can I go lay in my hammock" she likes hers and for less than $20 in it, I love it...
    Live, Laugh, Love, if that doesn't work. Load, Aim and Fire, repeat as necessary...

Buy, Try, Learn, Repeat

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Camo
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    #1, try a longer hammock. You'll have more material, which will make it so that you don't curl up your toes. What Brute1100 said; try a tablecloth hammock. Here's a link: http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=62832

#2, you might seek out a winter hang in your area or find someone that lives near you that hangs in the winter. Most folks love to share ideas and let you try out their rig for a few minutes. It's worth the trip, even for an hour of "hands on" knowledge.

• + New Posts