Tarp
    Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    Strap, Whoopie
    Images
    When are you making mine?

Nice quilt, Grizz. And very nice write-up, as always.

Hammock
    DIY Wbbb Clone
    Tarp
    12x10 Cat cut DIY
    Suspension
    Ring Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by NCPatrick View Post
    I don't know how you find the time to make all this gear, especially at this time of year.
    I think he has a time machine. He goes through his normal busy day then steps in the time machine and jumps back half the day and sews...

Looking good Griz.
    Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time. ~Steven Wright

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Iafte View Post
    I think he has a time machine. He goes through his normal busy day then steps in the time machine and jumps back half the day and sews...

Looking good Griz.
    Hmmm... that explains a lot. I wondered how he learned so much about Oscar Potter, circa 1902.
    It strikes me that a man who retires at age forty to invent but whose wife takes in boarders and cleans churches is a man who perhaps was not greatly successful at his chosen occupation. Perhaps he retired upon coming into an inheritance, there is evidence that his family (from Pennsylvania and New York) may have been well-to-do. Or perhaps he was injured and unable to continue with his pre-retirement profession.

Or maybe he was a lazy bum.

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyAdams View Post

You get a lot of "extra" loft when the quilt is laid this way because the outer shell is not being pulled...think about it...over each chamber that 7.25 of outer shell is vertically over the 6" of inner shell, and the down pushes it up well beyond the height of the baffles.

Grizz
    Have you measured the loft with a person in it and it snugged up to the person's back? I measured more loft than rated by a good bit on my MWUQ, with the inside up. But I'm sure it is reduced good bit in actual use, I'm just not sure how much. I am guessing by reaching around and feeling. There is always a good bit of loft, but I'm sure it is a good bit less than what I measured with it on the floor.

Same thing even with my non differential PeaPod. It measures a lot more loft than rated, laying on the floor. But in actual use, tightened enough to where it is barely- or not quite- contacting my back, loft falls back much closer to the rated 2.5". Or, if not careful about over-tightening, way less.

Hammock
    Hammock gear
    Tarp
    Dyneema Hammock ge
    Insulation
    Down top and botto
    Suspension
    Hammock gear
    Images
    Grizz, you aren't going to get cold. Great write up. I read every word. Beautiful quilt. Did you get your house 'downy' stuffing the baffles? Mule
    Predictions are risky, especially when it comes to the future.

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Iafte View Post
    I am outed! Time for True Confessions. In real life I am the character upon who Emmett Lathrop Brown was modeled. I'm too poor for a DeLorean though...my time machine is a 1967 VW microbus. I have to go downhill to get going fast enough to make the jump. Ain't easy in Illinois, I'm telling ya.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    Have you measured the loft with a person in it and it snugged up to the person's back? I measured more loft than rated by a good bit on my MWUQ, with the inside up. But I'm sure it is reduced good bit in actual use, I'm just not sure how much. I am guessing by reaching around and feeling. There is always a good bit of loft, but I'm sure it is a good bit less than what I measured with it on the floor....
    I understand why the loft on a differential quilt is larger on the floor than in use. The picture I have with with the tape measure is with enough stuff in the hammock to give it the right shape, more weight will bring it down but shouldn't change how the out shell hangs...

Quote Originally Posted by skskinner View Post
    ...Beautiful quilt. Did you get your house 'downy' stuffing the baffles? Mule
    no, JustJeff and mikeinfhaz both recommend using a vaccuum cleaner to suck it up, and wow does that work well. The stray tuffs that get away are quickly tracked down. Except for the fact that the house vaccuum has weak suction on the accessory hose (limiting each "take" to about 2 grams), it was clearly the way to do this.

Santa may not know this, but I think he's getting me a shop vac sometime soon.

thanks for the kind words everyone.

Grizz

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY 10'x11'
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Grizz - Great quilt. I've started thinking about a few of the things you mentioned, like how to close off the ends of the baffles. I'm thinking of using some chiffon for the baffles simply because I can get it locally and save shipping. The chiffon I got before came in at almost exactly 1 oz/sq yard so it is slightly lighter than noseeum and less expensive also. Not as light as nanoseeum, but a lot less expensive. It was $3/yard or $4/yard I think. I'll have to stop by Hancock Fabrics and check out what they have now. All edges do need a blind hem though.

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Wow... 11ozs of down in a 5' under quilt. And to see it stand up that way on it's own shows that it is truly full of down! No voids there!
    I think that's going to be a really warm quilt. Great job!
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Images
    Wow, that's a really nice quilt, Grizz. Is that the coyote brown Momentum-90?

I am getting ready to make a new underquilt myself and will try some of what you describe. How would you go about doing the corner on the outer shell at the end of the baffles (where you used fabric glue) if you planned for it? I cannot picture a way to make that corner with the rolled hem foot, and even if there was a way to do that, I cannot see how to then attach the baffle to the liner with the corner sewn in place. The only way I can figure is to sew the corner from the outside by pinching the end of the baffle between the shell.

Also, how much of the weight is in the 1/4" shock cord? Why such a big diameter vs. using 3/32" or 1/8"?

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Schneiderlein View Post
    Wow, that's a really nice quilt, Grizz. Is that the coyote brown Momentum-90?
    Yes. It is probably not the best use for that fabric (better for something that is closer to the body to take advantage of the softness) but I've had a couple of yards of that for half a year, and it is light. And looks really nice.

I am getting ready to make a new underquilt myself and will try some of what you describe. How would you go about doing the corner on the outer shell at the end of the baffles (where you used fabric glue) if you planned for it? I cannot picture a way to make that corner with the rolled hem foot, and even if there was a way to do that, I cannot see how to then attach the baffle to the liner with the corner sewn in place. The only way I can figure is to sew the corner from the outside by pinching the end of the baffle between the shell.
    One could try tapering the mesh on a curve so that there's not an angular corner. I still would not try that corner with the hemming foot, but you could do that part by rolling the hem by hand and pinning. Alternatively, one could cut a separate piece of mesh for the vertical portion of the outer body, wide enough so that after it is sewn at the very end (abutting the long main piece, it can be swiveled up so that the extra bit overlaps with the main piece, and then attach the two pieces of mesh sewing stitches by hand. That is essentially what I did except I used glue to attach the extra piece to the body...only because by the time I realized I had a problem, both bodies had been nicely attached to the long baffles.

Also, how much of the weight is in the 1/4" shock cord? Why such a big diameter vs. using 3/32" or 1/8"?
    It's 1/8". I miss-remembered but went back and checked. Not sure what weight cost is in that. Not enough to worry about.

If I were to do one thing differently it would be to make the quilt a little wider at the top...38, maybe 40 inches. It's perfect when I'm still and centered, but I can get off center a little when I roll on my side, and a little more on the sides will make coverage less sensitive to that.

Grizz

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast