Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyAdams View Post
Yes. It is probably not the best use for that fabric (better for something that is closer to the body to take advantage of the softness) but I've had a couple of yards of that for half a year, and it is light. And looks really nice.
I have a couple of yards of that stashed away somewhere. It does look really nice, but I remembered it very differently from your pictures.
One could try tapering the mesh on a curve so that there's not an angular corner. I still would not try that corner with the hemming foot, but you could do that part by rolling the hem by hand and pinning. Alternatively, one could cut a separate piece of mesh for the vertical portion of the outer body, wide enough so that after it is sewn at the very end (abutting the long main piece, it can be swiveled up so that the extra bit overlaps with the main piece, and then attach the two pieces of mesh sewing stitches by hand. That is essentially what I did except I used glue to attach the extra piece to the body...only because by the time I realized I had a problem, both bodies had been nicely attached to the long baffles.
If hand-sewing is involved, I think one could skip the extra piece and sew the baffles on the shell first. Then, make a cut and do the swivel thing you describe. For a quilt with that much loft, I think the first couple of inches could even be done by machine, leaving enough to get the rolled hem started. I'll have to experiment...
It's 1/8". I miss-remembered but went back and checked. Not sure what weight cost is in that. Not enough to worry about.
1/8" sounds a lot lighter already. The cross section of 3/32" should be about 56% of 1/8" cord. I've never weighed the two, but it might be worth the weight savings to some...
If I were to do one thing differently it would be to make the quilt a little wider at the top...38, maybe 40 inches. It's perfect when I'm still and centered, but I can get off center a little when I roll on my side, and a little more on the sides will make coverage less sensitive to that.
Grizz
Thank you, I will keep that in mind and make my quilt a little wider. Mine will be only 50" long, I think.

Would you make the baffles a little wider in the critical area to avoid CBS?