WBBB 1.7 Double
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    working on it
    Suspension
    webbing

Thinking of getting cinch buckles

I have been fiddling with my Warbonnet suspension since I got it and I am thinking of making another change. What I am going for is a system that will allow me to adjust the hammock up or down even after it's loaded. The original system using those triangular buckles allowed you to tighten, but loosening was very difficult. I have used whoopie slings and toggles on my other hammocks and I found that once the hammock is loaded and the adjustable loop is jammed up behind the marlin spike hitch, it becomes difficult to adjust. I tried reversing the sling and connecting the adjustable loop to the hammock with a soft shackle, but this caused some friction on the loop and the shackle which would probably cause me to come to grief sooner rather than later. On my last outing, I put the sling the right way around and replaced the toggle with a carabiner. This worked ok, but once the sling was loaded, it bound the buried end so tightly that it was difficult to loosen it. Now I am thinking about replacing the whole sling setup with a simple cinch buckle. Are these difficult to loosen, especially once the hammock is loaded?

Thanks,
    Rob

Hammock
    WBBB/TR, DIY, HH, SB DL, GT UL
    Tarp
    ID/OES/WB/WL
    Insulation
    HG/WB/Go-Lite/WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Straps/DW
    Images
    Can I ask why you are adjusting after the hammock is loaded?
    The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering. - St. Augustine

Some people feel the rain. Others just get wet.
    - Bob Marley

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 Double
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    working on it
    Suspension
    webbing
    Because after I lie in it, sometimes I find that I want to adjust it.

Thanks,
    Rob

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by redrob View Post
    ...Now I am thinking about replacing the whole sling setup with a simple cinch buckle. Are these difficult to loosen, especially once the hammock is loaded?...
    If by loaded you mean the weight of a person, cinch buckles (and WB's triangle buckles and whoopie slings) will all be next to impossible to loosen.

With just the weight of a hammock and quilts/pad you need to take a bit of the weight off with the hand releasing the cinch buckle or triangle buckles. WB's website has a video showing how to open and tilt the triangle buckles correctly. A whoopie sling should work with ease under these conditions if you hold the bury exit of the constrictor and pull the tail end through causing the constrictor to bunch up and release.

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    Cinch buckles are a great way to go. There is a small wieght penalty but they have a better minimum distance, they are really easy to adjust up or down, and they are really easy to slide your suspension up and down on the tree.
    I use them on my Hennessy and I never notice how much they weigh but i always notice how quick and easy they install and tear down.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 Double
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    working on it
    Suspension
    webbing
    When I say "after the hammock is loaded", I mean that I go and lie in it and then get out of it and try to adjust the hammock.

Thanks,
    Rob

Hammock
    WWM or tablecloth
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    shamu 40*
    Suspension
    UCR whoopie
    Images
    I have been thinking about getting a set of cinch buckles as a back up set... For when I can't find trees the right distance... I always seem to be in places where I find trees a little short or way too long... And conch buckles seem to give the shortest overall length option... But I still want to use my whoopies... So carrying a cinch buckles already on fixed loops would solve that, just pull them out larkshead onto the hammock and conch them down...
    Live, Laugh, Love, if that doesn't work. Load, Aim and Fire, repeat as necessary...

Buy, Try, Learn, Repeat

Hammock
    DH Thunderbird
    Tarp
    Toxaway 2QZQ doors
    Insulation
    JRB Nest
    Suspension
    DH cinch buckles
    I've tried whoopies, JRB Tri-glides, Decender Rings and now Dutch's Cinch Buckle setup. For me Dutch's system works the best and I doubt I'll try anything else. I changed the stock rope on my HH Safari to the loops that came installed on the CB's and all together it is the easiest to adjust (even after my holding up my 300 lbs for a while) allows for the shortest tree distance (important for the Safari because of its length) and so far, as advertized, requires no backup knot.

• + New Posts