HH Expedition
    Tarp
    HH asym
    Insulation
    AHE FlameThrower
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling

Hennessy Underquilt

Recently I've been looking at the KAQ Potomac under quilt and the Hennessy Supershelter for my HH explorer. I haven't found much about the supershelter so do y'all have any reviews or input?
    “We are not a club or a Sunday school class, but a
    school of the woods.” -Lord Baden Powell

Thanks,
    Matt

Hammock
    Dogger special
    Tarp
    HG CF 12' camo
    Insulation
    HG Buro & Incu 0+2
    Suspension
    Woopies
    Images
    I've used both. I prefer the Potomac. I have upgraded to a WBBB and just picked up a KAQ new river. The river is made for any gathered end hammock. If I had to do it again I would just get the new river.

Here is one link https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ad.php?t=81795

I know there is more info on the hss here on the forums. Personally I would get a new river and a breathable uqp.

Happy Hangin'
    Last edited by Squirrel bait; 02-06-2014 at 11:09. Reason: More info
    Life has no remote. Get up and change it yourself!

Hammock
    DH Darien/DIY
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    JrB, HG, WL
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    My son used a JrB nest UQ on his HH bottom entry. Worked great and can be used on other hammocks also.

Images
    Time to try the SEARCH function young man, plenty of threads on the super shelter.

FWIW I have a HHSS and UQs and pack whatever the mood/weather/wind strikes me. I trust the HHSS down to 20* wearing a single set of long johns, YMMV. I found the HHSS to weigh the same as a popular 3/4 20* UQ and UQP.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Roche View Post
    Time to try the SEARCH function young man, plenty of threads on the super shelter.

FWIW I have a HHSS and UQs and pack whatever the mood/weather/wind strikes me. I trust the HHSS down to 20* wearing a single set of long johns, YMMV. I found the HHSS to weigh the same as a popular 3/4 20* UQ and UQP.
    That's it right there. Many, many threads on this subject. Here is one(same thread, different pages) to get you started:
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ad.php?t=58158
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...lts&pollid=337

That is a poll, intended to be a poll of those who have used an HHSS and either liked it or not. The quick summary of that poll is that 58 people responded so far, if my count is correct.

Of these 58 users, 7 (12%) reported they were either cold at 40F or above and/or had too much condensation, either way it was not a good system.

One mistake I made in this poll is that I did not word it so that only one temp segment could be chosen per person who had success with the system. So keep in mind, some voted in more than one temp division, so % will add up to more than 100 maybe.

Of 58 users 12(20%) reported being warm down to 40F, 12 were good to 30(20%), 9(16%) were good to 20F, 4(7%) warm to below 20F without adding anything to the basic system. 7(12%) reported being warm well below 20F by adding unworn clothing into the HHSS under cover, I believe the record for that approach is minus 27F(but did someone just break that recently?)

Overall, 28(48%) vote "I find it to be more than adequate for the money and weight/volume. I like it!" vs 7 (12%) reported they were either "cold at 40F or above and/or had too much condensation, either way it was not a good system." And I guess other folks are somewhere in the middle. But 48% definitely like it all things considered, 12% do not like it at all.

Keep in mind that not every one who tries an UQ has success the first time (or more) they try it, and some are never as warm as the ratings suggest, though I think most finally get there. Some us (like me) do great with UQs right out of the box, definitely(for me) when using UQs on bridge hammocks and not to forget superb PeaPods on narrow non-bridge hammocks! Still, a lot of folks have quite a learning curve with UQs(TQs too), at least as many as have trouble with HSSSs, seems to me. Still, for people like me who do well with both, there are distinct pros and cons with each system and who can say which pros and cons might be most important to you? And also keep in mind the HHSS is really custom designed for the HH Explorer, Expedition and DJ hammocks only. Trying on any other hammocks is a gamble.

• + New Posts