WBBB-XLC Multicam 1.7 double
    Tarp
    WB Superfly w/door
    Insulation
    R-11
    Suspension
    Over the Shoulder

Before I cut her up

I just bought a used North Face 15+ down bag on ebay. It is 76longx31shouldersx16feet on measurements.

Here is what I want to do; think it will work?

I want to make a insulation buffer for my now "Fall/Spring" underquilt. I am happy with the DIY underquilt I have made, but in winter at about 40 I start to not get a relaxed nights sleep because I wake up and have to shuffle around to keep spots warm. My cold spots are as others have, any pressure spots on the hammock. Hip, shoulder, knee. The cold spots get worse of course the colder it gets. I am not getting wind, just my UQ is not keeping my "fluff" warm. I want a "layer" UQ so I can put it in or take it out (between my hammock and my now UQ) with velcro when I need it on 35ish degree nights or lower. Texas does not see too many of these.

So, with this down bag, I want to take out the zipper and continue from the end of the zipper all the way down and out the bottom of the bag. Basically cutting the bag so that I have a big flat down bag.

62" x 32" triangulated rectangle is what I think I will get when flat. Does this sound right?

Now here is the question. If I make a quilt, 32" wide and 76" long I will have a twotriangle pieces left over off the 62" shoulder area down to 0" at the bottom of the bag. So, I will have two triangles of 15" inches to 0". If I take the 0" and sew to the 15" and the 15" to the 0" I will make a 15" by 70"ish rectangle. Where would this new "trim" triangle be best served?

Adding to the 32" width giving me higher sides on my underquilt, or sewn corner to corner of my 32" x 72" quilt to give me more loft laying at my angle in the BlackBird, or fold the 70" in half giving me a 35" by 15" piece that I can use as added loft under my butt/back area on the down quilt? Meaning I would have a single layer down from head to toe and a triple layer down on legs, back shoulder area. Again, remembering that I have a UQ now that fits the BB perfect, but my insulation only takes me down to about 40. I am trying to get a full length down "add-on" for below 40 degree nights.
    Last edited by Wildman; 12-20-2012 at 14:20.

Hammock
    WBB
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Baby Orca/Klymit
    Suspension
    straps/c buckles
    Images
    I'll be watching this for the suggestions.

I, too, have a similar project in mind.....
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

AT '12. AT '14. FT '15. CA '15.

Hammock
    Tarp
    WB Superfly w/door
    Insulation
    R-11
    Suspension
    Over the Shoulder
    My thought is I want to triple the loft in the butt/back area. Thinking is that if I do get cold, I can go into dog curl mode and curl up on top of the lofty area. But then again, most of my actions on my logical thought end up being a drawkcab ssa thought.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HH Asym tarp
    Insulation
    DIY underquilt
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Hmm, that would make at least 3 of us... I found a nice down bag at goodwill and have been thinking about how to modify it. I was thinking of running a grosgrain channel around all edges after cutting off the zipper and cutting it to shape. Use the down from the scrap to overstuff specific baffles in the bag, specifically in the shoulder/butt area as Wildman suggested. before sewing the cut edges back together. Then run 1/8" shockcord throughout, with cord tensioners for adjustment...
    Of course, all is easier said than done.

Hammock
    Tarp
    WB Superfly w/door
    Insulation
    R-11
    Suspension
    Over the Shoulder
    Well, give me next week and I will show you a pile of feathers or a Convertable Underquilt.

Hammock
    Tarp
    WB Superfly w/door
    Insulation
    R-11
    Suspension
    Over the Shoulder
    Ok, bag came in today. On problem is that the seller on Ebay said it was 31" wide; its 26". So I may not get any "side" panel material after I make the UQ addition. I will post the progress as I go

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HH Asym tarp
    Insulation
    DIY underquilt
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images

sorry for the threadjack...

sorry for the threadjack wildman, but i just finished up mine. With the help of my mother-in-law and her sewing skills. It turned out better than I had expected! I used an expedition weight FairyDown Everest model bag. After measuring it out I didn't take off as much as I had thought I would. My final size is 46"x72". I went for the full coverage. It is still a bit hefty in the weight department but I figured it would be easier to shorten it in the future rather than lengthen it...
    As soon as the final shock cord was tied off I had to test it out. Initial results are very positive! As soon as I laid butt in my hammock it was like somebody turned on a heater onto my backside. Some further adjustments in more real life environment will be needed as I've never had an underquilt before.
    I'm super excited to get out and try it, can't believe it only cost me about $15+ a couple hours on the sewing machine!

If anybody out there has suggestions I'm totally open to them. I'm not sure the suspension is set up exactly right but it felt as if there were little no gap between the bottom of the hammock and the underquilt
    I hope some pics won't be out of order
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    Tarp
    WB Superfly w/door
    Insulation
    R-11
    Suspension
    Over the Shoulder
    No problem Dangler, I really like your conversion.

I wanted to figure out how to take a sleeping bag to an underquilt. As Dangler, I was trying to get a UQ as an "add on" underquilt as I was fine with my other DYI quilt down to about 35 but needed more after that.

This is my "moduler" UQ. As you will see, I sewed in loops and strings so I can tie in or take out my down addition UQ layer. The loop/ties keeps the down bag in place too.

As Dangler, I tested it out and it will work out very nicely on those 30ish nights.

Sorry about the phone pics. I really wish Santa would have brought me a point and shoot.

2012-12-30 19.14.30.jpg

2012-12-30 19.15.10.jpg

2012-12-30 19.16.48.jpg

2012-12-30 19.17.54.jpg

2012-12-30 19.18.29.jpg

2012-12-30 19.19.14.jpg
    Last edited by Wildman; 12-30-2012 at 20:43.

Hammock
    Tarp
    WB Superfly w/door
    Insulation
    R-11
    Suspension
    Over the Shoulder
    Well, report is that I went down to 34 last night. I had on a t-shirt and pj pants (cotton). Had the tarp up but left doors open for air to circulate but not blow on me.

I woke up several time - I had to pee one time and the next was my continual 10 minute snooze........

I am very happy with my mod. design. I have a easy 40ish UQ and so far, my mod. has gotten me down to 34.

• + New Posts