Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Hammock
    ENO Double Nest
    Suspension
    Atlas Straps
    Images

Starting my Down UQ project. . .

Well, I ordered the supplies to make my 20* down UQ today from Wildernesslogics. I spoke to Marty, who was really helpful in getting my order out the door quickly. Very much appreciated. His customer service has been 1st class so far.

Here is what I ordered (I'll take pictures and start a video when it arrives):

6yds 1.1 oz Ripstop Nylon--Color: Black
    8 Cord Lock
    25' Black GrosGain 1"
    13oz 850+ Down
    3yds NETTING

I was thinking about the suspension for this UQ. I've seen examples of full length channels with shock-cord running the length, and shock-cord on the ends to cinch them up. I've seen 'tabs' used to secure the shock cord just to the four corners of the UQ and those attached to the suspension. Any recommendations about which is better and why? Also, what size shock-cord should I use?
    Eagle Scout, June 1987
    Eagle Patrol--SR830

"A man stands tallest when he stoops to help a boy."

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx/Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    +1 on Wilderness Logics and their DIY supplies. They got mine out the next day when I placed an order earlier this week, so that I can complete a project over the holiday weekend. Very nice!
    Brian
    Denver, CO
    Father. Husband. Scoutmaster.

Hammock
    DIY Digi Camo DL
    Tarp
    Maxi Tarp
    Insulation
    Underquilts Lewis
    Suspension
    Rings and Straps
    Images
    1/8" shock cord for the suspension. 3/32 is too light weight in my opinion.

For suspension, I love the Leighlo type. http://www.hammockquilts.com/apps/vi...uspension-tips
    I got in a fight one time with a really big guy, and he said, "I'm going to mop the floor with your face." I said, "You'll be sorry." He said, "Oh, yeah? Why?" I said, "Well, you won't be able to get into the corners very well."

Underquilts.com

Hammock
    ENO Double Nest
    Suspension
    Atlas Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Lost_Biker View Post

For suspension, I love the Leighlo type. http://www.hammockquilts.com/apps/vi...uspension-tips
    Cool, thanks.
    Eagle Scout, June 1987
    Eagle Patrol--SR830

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    I use 1/8" shock cord on the sides and 3/32" going across on the head & foot ends.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Tarps
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ's
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Lost_Biker View Post

LB thanks for a positive vote for this type suspension.

The videos on this page show more detail on how the UQ suspension works and the latest update. Everyone feel free to use this in your diy projects.

Hammock
    ENO Double Nest
    Suspension
    Atlas Straps
    Images
    Materials arrived today from Wildernesslogics. +1 for their great customer service. I'll definitely be buying from them again. I'll begin construction tomorrow and video tape/take pictures along the way so I can document the process for everyone here, and for those looking to create a down UQ after me.
    Eagle Scout, June 1987
    Eagle Patrol--SR830

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    WB Lynx
    Suspension
    Whoopies/DutchStuf
    Quote Originally Posted by Lupus View Post
    Materials arrived today from Wildernesslogics. +1 for their great customer service. I'll definitely be buying from them again. I'll begin construction tomorrow and video tape/take pictures along the way so I can document the process for everyone here, and for those looking to create a down UQ after me.
    I too plan on making one soon. Would love to hear about your first hand experience with yours. Thanks for the heads up on the DIY supplies from Wildernesslogics, will visit them when it is time to make my order.
    Hoot's YouTube Channel - Please Subscribe!

Hoot's Facebook Page - Visit it and give it a Like!

Hammock
    ENO Double Nest
    Suspension
    Atlas Straps
    Images
    I've started measuring and cutting. Pictures to come.

I did have a question though, how much 850 FP down would you put into a draft collor for a 48" wide UQ? How big would you make the draft collar?

Right now I'm thinking a 48" long x 5" wide (4" wide finished, with 1/2" seam allowance) piece of material, folded in half and stitched under the Gross Grain ribbon I plan on using for my channel edging. But how much down would you put in? Based on the Volume of that size cylinder, you'd only need .07 oz of down to fill the volume. Even 1/8 oz is around 100% overfill.
    Eagle Scout, June 1987
    Eagle Patrol--SR830

Hammock
    ENO Double Nest
    Suspension
    Atlas Straps
    Images

Finally Started

Ok, started making the UQ in earnest today. My goal for today was to get all the material cut before I had to stop for dinner. I did that and then some.

First, let me say I learned a few lessons today. Use these tools to measure and mark your material for the shell of your Underquilt:

I tried using a chalk line like you would use for carpentry, and while it does work, and makes a quick line to cut, it also makes a colossal mess you have to clean up. I then decided to use blue painters tape to mark my lines. Cost more, but was almost as fast as the chalk line, and much cleaner

Here is the Outer shell after I finished cutting it to size today:
    As a side note, plan on making your quilt longer than what you think you'll need with seam allowance. This way, you have some 'extra' in case you don't plan for enough.

This is my inner shell, I had used the Chalk Line to mark the length I needed:

The cut inner shell

I then took a trip to Wally World to get the painters tape to lay out the lines on the No-Se-um netting.

Turns out I bought enough No-Se-Um to make two UQ's, or perhaps my TQ. We'll see how this one turns out first.

Once I cut those out, which took a lot longer than I would have expected. I heat sealed the inner and outer shell using a tea light candle. I forgot to take pictures of that process, but as a note of caution, be very careful and go slowly when you do this. You will invariably catch the fabric on fire occasionally. If your paying attention the singed edge will be minimal and you won't be seriously put out by this. Just stay focused and go slowly.

I then laid out and taped into place the No-Se-Um on the inner shell (be sure this goes on the 'shiny side', or so I read somewhere).

The next step for me is to break out the new sewing machine

Get it all threaded up, run some test stitching on the scrap material I have to set the thread tension right, then sew the baffles to the inner shell.
    Eagle Scout, June 1987
    Eagle Patrol--SR830

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast