WL Lite Owl, WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    AE Jarbidge, bag
    Suspension
    buckles/whoopies

First freezing hang

Here in South Texas, we just had one of our first freezes of the year. Now you northern folk are probably laughing, but freezes are rare where I live and folks down here make a big deal about them.

So, when the weather showed that it was going to freeze last night, I had to go out and test my gear. The Mrs. thought I was nuts. It was around 38 when I set up my WL Lite Owl and Jarbridge UQ in the back yard. I crashed around nine and slept great. I woke up around 3:30 and saw that the temp was 30, but I was plenty warm. I wore nylon sweats, no socks, and a Patagonia exped weight top. My bag is about a 10 degree down mummy (I say "about" because it was once allegedly rated -20, but it has lost loft over the years and is not nearly as warm as it was when I first got it).

The WL Lite Owl was really nice compared to my ENO DN. I could achieve a much flatter lay and could even sleep on my stomach in the LO. I could never do that in the DN. That is one nice hammock.

The only issue I had is this: I am a side sleeper and toss and turn a lot. When I turned, the TQ would pop out of place and I would get cold. I'm thinking I need to rig some lines from the sides of the UQ and attache them to a ridge line to keep the UQ in place.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx/Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Great experience! Someone hasn't truly camped until they do it in freezing temps! Now, time to head north and camp under 0 degrees F. That's when the party really starts.

Yah, tossing and turning can cause some underquilt shifting in nearly all gathered end hammocks. The three tricks I use in varying combinations are 1) tighten up the suspension on the foot box and shoulder ends to keep them snugged up and less likely to slip (ala Shug's video on the subject), 2) attach UQ to ridgeline or triangles to help hold it up or 3) attach the UQ directly to the hammock at various points to keep it from slipping (these are meant for tarps, but work well on the hammock - I'll attach it to the hammock and then run the line to a nearby loop or suspension on the UQ http://www.outdoortrailgear.com/feat...arp-pull-outs/).
    Brian
    Denver, CO
    Father. Husband. Scoutmaster.

Hammock
    Lite Owl; Light Hiker
    Tarp
    Toxaway;MacCat Dlx
    Insulation
    Burrow; Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I have Dutch hooks sewn onto my Light Hiker. I prefer them to the clip-ons I'm using on my Lite Owl. I'm going to try the ridgeline hooks tonight.
    JaxHiker aka Kudzu - WFA
    Florida Trail Association: NE FL Trail Coordinator (Gold Head to Stephen Foster)
    Trail Issues? Please let me know.
    Blazing Trails with Kudzu @ www.idratherbehiking.com
    Follow me @idratherbhiking

Hammock
    GT Ultralight
    Tarp
    Off my old tent
    Insulation
    -5 Sleepybag.
    Suspension
    Web straps
    Heh, you are correct about that laughing bit....30 isn't even cold around here. (New England.)

I've done some tent camping around the zero mark. Fun stuff!
    I prefer to remain an enigma.

Hammock
    wbrr/d i y speer
    Tarp
    hg 4sccc 12 foot
    Insulation
    lynx/w/logics
    Suspension
    straps /pole mod
    congrats on your chance to expand your experience level.what changes would you make to your gear based upon this test?

you can learn a lot on your first cold weather hang.

I learned about drafts getting in between the UQ and hammock..... still struggle with it now and then, but, by the next time I'm in the cold I should have it dialed in.

Hammock
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    AE Jarbidge, bag
    Suspension
    buckles/whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by hairbear View Post
    congrats on your chance to expand your experience level.what changes would you make to your gear based upon this test?
    Thanks. Other than needing to follow the suggestions above to keep the UQ in place, my feet got a little cold b/c they were outside of the UQ, so I'll probably add socks and perhaps a small foam pad to keep that part of my body warm.

Of course, a warmer UQ would always be nice. I imagine I would have been right toasty if I had 0 degree down full length UQ!

Hammock
    DIY Timber Wolf or Grey Wolf
    Tarp
    DIY Wolf Den
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear, UGQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Slings
    I attached some itty bitty shockcord to my UQ, 2 per side. I have a HammockGear Incubator and it has little D rings on it. That's where I connected the shockcord with mini cordlocks. The cordlocks let me snug up the UQ more if I need to. The other ends are tied to mitten hooks which I attach to the ridgeline. My UQ stays comfortably snugged up to me. If I want to sit on the hammock, they are easy to unclip and get out of the way.
    The beauty of sunsets,
    The wind in the pines,
    The mountains give these and more...
    Peace of mind.

Hammock
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    AE Jarbidge, bag
    Suspension
    buckles/whoopies
    Thanks for the advice, guys. I'm going to try some of those options.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Camo
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Raoul Duke View Post
    The only issue I had is this: I am a side sleeper and toss and turn a lot. When I turned, the TQ would pop out of place and I would get cold. I'm thinking I need to rig some lines from the sides of the UQ and attache them to a ridge line to keep the UQ in place.
    I'm assuming you meant UQ? Tighten up the suspension until it lifts the hammock. I sewed gross grain loops on each side of my UQ (before I got a HG Incubator, which has them), which I used to microbiner to the hammock. I sewed the loops to my WBBB, which is notorious for having the UQ slip off the footbox (I even used Shug's shock cord line over the top trick).

Dutch quilt hooks would help, or hand sew some loops. I got another roll of gross grain last week to fix a ripped out loop on my hammock.
    Last edited by Boomer; 12-23-2012 at 21:28.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast