Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Hammock
    Backwards Warbonnet, Several DIY
    Tarp
    Homemade
    Insulation
    Homemade UQ
    Images
    That Speer's winter tarp looks awesome. Nice pitch!
    "If your head is wax, don't walk in the sun" -Ben Franklin

Hammock
    Dutchware Half-Wit Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow & Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by speyguy View Post
    That Speer's winter tarp looks awesome. Nice pitch!
    I've got one of those babies and love it! It was worth every single penny for the extra coverage. I've seen the JRB 10x11 Cat Tarp hung as well, an equally nice piece of gear.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

I camped in pretty similar conditions (the web claims a low of -6C/21F) last night. I used my new Exped Synmat in my old Hennessy Deluxesomething (I forget which, but the biggest standard product). Temperaturewise no problems, but I must say the combination of a huge air mattress to a bottom-loading hammock is slightly problematic. Getting the mattress in through the bottom is an exercise in its own right, and after adding a person and a top quilt, absolutely all space inside is consumed. The thermometer I hung from the ridgeline shows a minimum of around 10C/50F, as it was engulfed by all the down.

One complaint: my feet were slightly cool in the morning. Some sort of hammock end covering system for the very end would be nice to stop the air from moving around in the foot end. Recommendations?

Maybe I need a top-loader for winter. And a peapod.

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Teemu Kalvas View Post
    I camped in pretty similar conditions (the web claims a low of -6C/21F) last night. I used my new Exped Synmat in my old Hennessy Deluxesomething (I forget which, but the biggest standard product). Temperaturewise no problems, but I must say the combination of a huge air mattress to a bottom-loading hammock is slightly problematic. Getting the mattress in through the bottom is an exercise in its own right, and after adding a person and a top quilt, absolutely all space inside is consumed. The thermometer I hung from the ridgeline shows a minimum of around 10C/50F, as it was engulfed by all the down.

One complaint: my feet were slightly cool in the morning. Some sort of hammock end covering system for the very end would be nice to stop the air from moving around in the foot end. Recommendations?

A top loader for winter is a great idea. A pair of down booties and or a weathershield would help your cold feet. www.jacksrbetter.com/Weather%20Shield.htm
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

Quote Originally Posted by FanaticFringer View Post
    A top loader for winter is a great idea. A pair of down booties and or a weathershield would help your cold feet. www.jacksrbetter.com/Weather%20Shield.htm
    I agree on the top loader for winter.

for cold feet I would start with using a hot water bottle plus a good hat / balaclava

Images

Cold Feet

I use a thin pair of liner socks under plastic bags with my fleece sleep socks over the plastic bags to help with cold feet. The plastic bags act as vapor barriers and improve how well your feet generate heat. It isn't an instant improvement when you first put them on so you need to be patient. The other easy thing to do is flex your toes and feet a bit and see if that helps.
    Youngblood AT2000

Hammock
    HH Explorer w/ Zipper Mod #4
    Tarp
    ZQ Special w/mods
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Cinch and straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Teemu Kalvas View Post
    I can make a top loader by adding a zipper modification to your Hennessy if you want to go that way. Send me a PM and I'll send details. Check my gallery for pictures.

BTW, where in Finland are you from? I've been there a couple times and have enjoyed your country. This was before hammock hanging days back in 1975-76. Mostly around the Helsinki area. I'd love to go back with my wife ......and hammock of course!

[IMG][/IMG]

Quote Originally Posted by 2Questions View Post
    I can make a top loader by adding a zipper modification to your Hennessy if you want to go that way. Send me a PM and I'll send details. Check my gallery for pictures.

BTW, where in Finland are you from? I've been there a couple times and have enjoyed your country. This was before hammock hanging days back in 1975-76. Mostly around the Helsinki area. I'd love to go back with my wife ......and hammock of course!
    I think I'll get or make a separate top loading hammock with no bugnet at all. That'll save some weight.

I live in the greater Helsinki metropolitan area. No proper winters for us here in the extreme south. For the past three years we haven't even had negative F temperatures. Finland might have changed somewhat in the past 30 years, but probably not that much outside the populated areas. I don't think we had many woods which haven't been cut down at least twice even in the 70s. You have much more pristine nature than we do...

Not that I remember much of that. I was born in '76. And my last visit to North American pristine nature was in '86, so my memories of that could be hazy, too.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    Speer winter
    Suspension
    webbing
    Images

Smile

Looks great!!!!
    I just got back from my first winter hang in a new Claytor. I wasn't trying to test the temp range, but got down to 14 and 22-26 mph winds and I was toasty warm with no underquilt, 2" pad, modified tarp and 0 degree bag.
    My next acquisition will be a winter tarp and a ring suspension system for the new hammock.

Jake is watching the fire for me

Note the modified tarp to close the end against the wind - Here's where a good winter tarp would have been nice.

-b

Hammock
    DD modular jungle hammock
    Tarp
    wilderness logics
    Insulation
    wilderness logics
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Images
    what about condensation in a closed tarpneo
    the matrix has you