BDWD, AE Hard Rock
    Insulation
    Incubator, Burrow
    Suspension
    Webbing & Rings
    They are factory photos of my model.

These are mine.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    We are now ready to start our way down the Great Unknown.We are three quarters of a mile in the depth of the earth.We have an unknown distance yet to run, an unknow river yet to explore.What falls there are, we know not; what rocks beset the channel, we know not; what walls rise over the river, we know not. Ah, well! We may conjecture many things. The men talk as cheerfully as ever; jests are bandied about freely this morning; but to me the cheer is somber and the jests are ghastly. Powell 1869

Hammock
    DIY Bridge db layer 1.1
    Tarp
    DIY 12'
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield
    Suspension
    amsteel/tree strap
    After having seen the inside of walls of RVs/5th wheels when in the shop for repairs and watching a few of them being picked up in pieces after accidents DO NOT even think about hanging from the structure. As someone said it's thin wall H channel with styrofoam insulation with maybe some 1x2s thrown in in places.

There is no requirement for roll bars anywhere in the structure and the top of the line models only mean that they've got prettier and more expensive interior fittings and a better paint job! Oh, and more toys!!

A toy hauler is an excellent suggestion and since none will give you the necessary space for a turtledog frame, think about a bridge hammock and a take apart frame for it!

Either that or plan on hanging under the awning on a portable frame.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Scotty - that's a great rig! Have you ever tried to hang a hammock under the rear bed? Could you use the bed's crossmember as the ridgeline (compression member)? Could the rails could handle the vertical load?

I'll have to find a different solution, though. We found a private seller for an awesome Jayco today and committed to buying it. Just waiting to see the truck on Wednesday to decide if we'll buy them as a pair. Pics attached.

Until I find a better solution, I'll just bring a stand. I won't try to hang anything from the walls of the fifth wheel, but there may be a way to use a compression member to transfer all the force to the floor via 4x4s, as already discussed here. With both slides out, the living area is about 14' across. The key will be finding a way to make it look like it belongs...wife won't allow rough lumber in there. (Well, she might, but it wouldn't be worth the "marriage capital" I'd have to spend. Not when I already have a hammock stand!)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    WBBB, Switchback 1.9 SL & 1.9 DL
    Tarp
    BDWD, AE Hard Rock
    Insulation
    Incubator, Burrow
    Suspension
    Webbing & Rings
    Jeff, I haven't really given a lot of thought to hanging in the garage. My intentions are to go on 1 or two day hikes to use my hammock, and sleep in the King Size bed when at the camper.

Nice looking Jayco. I assume the truck is a diesel? Can't tell for sure from the photo, but looks like a dually. They are much better for stability, especially in a cross wind and a diesel is almost mandatory for the weight of these rigs.

Good luck with your purchase. We have just begun to learn how to enjoy ours. If I lived where you do, I would be out in it almost every weekend.
    We are now ready to start our way down the Great Unknown.We are three quarters of a mile in the depth of the earth.We have an unknown distance yet to run, an unknow river yet to explore.What falls there are, we know not; what rocks beset the channel, we know not; what walls rise over the river, we know not. Ah, well! We may conjecture many things. The men talk as cheerfully as ever; jests are bandied about freely this morning; but to me the cheer is somber and the jests are ghastly. Powell 1869

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    It's a 2011 Ram 3500 6.7 Cummins 4wd Dually with only 11,300 miles on it.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    That looks like a great rig and the truck isn't even broke in yet. Just looking at the floor plan with the counter extension pushed back in you might get a TD or TL in the open living area! Enjoy your RV. And check out Passport America, it can save you a few $ on campgrounds, if they're in the area you're traveling to.
    Most of us end up poorer here but richer for being here. Olddog, Fulltime hammocker, 365 nights a year.

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Agreed. The rv structure probably won't reliably support a hammock... I pack my turtledog stand in my motorhome if I am hanging. The wife doesn't mind...

I like the basecamp idea....
    "Do or do not, there is no try." -- Yoda

Hammock
    LeanGreen/BigRed/DIY
    Tarp
    CatCut Hex/GG12
    Insulation
    Fur I grow myself
    Suspension
    Of Disbelief
    Images
    Last time I tried to sleep in a RV I tossed and turned all night long. I couldn't get comfortable and I felt like I could feel the wood under me. Since then the wife and kid sleep in the RV and I enjoy the comfort of my hammock outside.
    *Heaven best have trees, because I plan to lounge for eternity.

Good judgement is the result of experience and experience the result of bad judgement. - Mark Twain

Trail name: Radar

2014 Smoked Butt Hang Planning Thread | Sign up Sheet

Hammock
    WWM with Dynaglide whoopies
    Tarp
    8.5x10 Zpack
    Insulation
    down
    Suspension
    DreamHmck slng/tog

pipe stand

Would a pipe stand work? Saw it here at HF but do not have the link. Some vendor was using one to demo hammocks at Trail Days or a similar event. One inch galvanized pipe with two "T" feet, two verticals, and a crossbar. That was all there was. You could paint the metal a soft color to match the RV interior, maybe two tone on the legs. You could put painted PVC sleeves over the exposed straight pieces to give it a nicer look.

With a pipe stand, you could have the stand at a slight diagonal to increase the ridge length while still keeping both T feet next to the side walls. The ridge would be at the ceiling so without the hammock on it, it would use very little floor space. Might be able to leave it up while traveling if it was strapped in place.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Good ideas...keep 'em coming!

Re: the rig not being broken in yet, he said it gets 10-12 mpg towing right now. A friend of his has almost the same rig at 60,000 miles and gets 3-4 mpg more. Getting 16 mpg while towing a 15,000 pound trailer is actually pretty good.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast