WBRR
    Tarp
    Super Fly & HG
    Insulation
    UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie or Webbing
    Images
    Something else you might consider about the toy haulers if you actually haul toys in there say 4-wheelers or what not the fuel & gas smell can get pretty strong. We have tried this while hunting putting extra cots in the garage area & when the doors were closed the odor was to strong, & not because of the hunters.

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff View Post
    Good ideas...keep 'em coming!

Re: the rig not being broken in yet, he said it gets 10-12 mpg towing right now. A friend of his has almost the same rig at 60,000 miles and gets 3-4 mpg more. Getting 16 mpg while towing a 15,000 pound trailer is actually pretty good.
    Actually incredible is more like it. I'd take that with a grain of salt. Or two.

Be sure to read the diesel thread...good info there vis-a-vis maintenance.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    WBBB, Switchback 1.9 SL & 1.9 DL
    Tarp
    BDWD, AE Hard Rock
    Insulation
    Incubator, Burrow
    Suspension
    Webbing & Rings
    It's a 2011 Ram 3500 6.7 Cummins 4wd Dually with only 11,300 miles on it.
    Very nice. It's not even broke in yet. I would ask you what the 5er's GVWR is, but it really doesn't matter with that truck. It can pull about anything on the market.
    We are now ready to start our way down the Great Unknown.We are three quarters of a mile in the depth of the earth.We have an unknown distance yet to run, an unknow river yet to explore.What falls there are, we know not; what rocks beset the channel, we know not; what walls rise over the river, we know not. Ah, well! We may conjecture many things. The men talk as cheerfully as ever; jests are bandied about freely this morning; but to me the cheer is somber and the jests are ghastly. Powell 1869

Hammock
    Tarp
    BDWD, AE Hard Rock
    Insulation
    Incubator, Burrow
    Suspension
    Webbing & Rings
    Good ideas...keep 'em coming!

Re: the rig not being broken in yet, he said it gets 10-12 mpg towing right now. A friend of his has almost the same rig at 60,000 miles and gets 3-4 mpg more. Getting 16 mpg while towing a 15,000 pound trailer is actually pretty good.
    Good luck with that Jeff. My trip computer is always off by 1 - 2 mpg on the + side. My Duramax has 180K miles and my rig is around 18K loaded, and I am lucky to get 8 mpg loaded and only 15 mpg empty. I would be thrilled to get 10-12. I am due for a new one, since it is my every day driver for work. Maybe a 2013 will do better.
    We are now ready to start our way down the Great Unknown.We are three quarters of a mile in the depth of the earth.We have an unknown distance yet to run, an unknow river yet to explore.What falls there are, we know not; what rocks beset the channel, we know not; what walls rise over the river, we know not. Ah, well! We may conjecture many things. The men talk as cheerfully as ever; jests are bandied about freely this morning; but to me the cheer is somber and the jests are ghastly. Powell 1869

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1X2, GTSB Pro
    Tarp
    EquinoxNylon 10X12
    Insulation
    ground pad
    Suspension
    1"strap w/"D" ring
    We retired 11 years ago and spent several years ridin arount the country with a Gold Wing and pullin a little motorcycle pop up. It was fun but a phase. A few years latter we got a Casita TTso that along with a pair of kayaks on the camper shell, recumbent bicycles in the back and we seem to be handling every day as a Saturday. Of course on those nice times when we want a quality napwe pull out the hammocks and have the best R&R anyone could as for. It's all about balance, got too many toys and interest to sell the house so we just take each day as it comes, just hangin around.
    "Necessity is the plea for every infringment of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants and the creed of slaves."
    William Pitt

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Goose bumps
    Suspension
    Bat Feet
    "If I could find a way to put in permanent headers and make them multi-use (and attractive) then I'd be on to something. That sounds like a tall order, though..."

It may be possible to through bolt some hooks through the ceiling and support them with a plate set up. Sealing the bolts is not a big deal as there are several vents, pipes and other stuff up there. Silicone the bolt threads and coat with RV roof sealer.
    Love is blind. Marriage is an eye opener.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I'm not all that worried about the mpg...I don't think the guy was being dishonest about it, just telling me what the trip computer said. I was expecting about 10 mph anyway, and this won't be my daily driver...not with 3500 suspension in it! Besides, nobody buys an RV because of the gas mileage.

Tough part is, that breaks down to about $25/hour driving...not including the actual cost of the equipment (and of course the matching towels, dishes, etc...I'm sure we couldn't use what we already have...) or significant repairs. That's still an expensive vacation. But with this I could vacation at a moment's notice, and go where I want to (within reason for a rig that big, obviously). And still have a home during the zombie apocalypse!

Drilling through the ceiling and reinforcing with plates sounds interesting. Unlike the other holes, though, this would be dynamic loading...that would affect the seals. Put enough silicone around it and it still might work, though. And maybe even give me a pull-up bar!
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Goose bumps
    Suspension
    Bat Feet
    The silicone goes inside the threads. The plates/seams are coated with rv roof coating.
    Love is blind. Marriage is an eye opener.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Good to know...thanks.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    Tarp
    BDWD, AE Hard Rock
    Insulation
    Incubator, Burrow
    Suspension
    Webbing & Rings
    Besides, nobody buys an RV because of the gas mileage.
    That's right. You can't put a price on it, sort of like the price of fish or venison. Having a happy family, sleeping in your own bed, drinking your own coffee, PRICELESS. At least you don't have to drive too far to get to NF. It's a minimum of a day's drive for me to get to the places I would like to be.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast