Yukon Outfitters, ENO DN, NW Aspen
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Natural body fat
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings

Dealing with noise at night

I was out this afternoon doing some extensive testing of my hammock that took a couple of hours. During this time I noticed how noisy the neighborhood was; crows cawing, birds chirping, dogs barking, cars driving by... it kept me awake - I mean it interrupted my testing.

I've found that I have to wear earplugs at night due to the ambient noise levels produced by my lovely spouse. Are any of the rest of you resorting to earplugs, either at home or out in the woods?

GeezerScouter

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1SL/UKHamm
    Tarp
    HG Cuben 4S/CamoSF
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WhoopieDutchness
    Only if I know there's a snorer in camp

If I'm heading to a communal/public site with a tent then I always pack them, I've suffered in the past to someone keeping the whole campsite awake with their snoring. We ended up having to wake him up and having a word.

I quite often listen to my ipod when I go to sleep, either an audio book or something relaxing to doze off to.

Once I'm out I'm dead to the world though, I'll only wake up if I need to water the plants or there's a sunrise to watch.
    Last edited by Shewie; 12-30-2012 at 20:15.

Hammock
    1.1 dbl ge double strech-side
    Tarp
    Tadpole/ Superfly
    Insulation
    HG- TQ,UQ- DIY PL
    Suspension
    Whoopie,D Buckle
    Images
    Well, most of the time, when hanging and I am awaken by noise, I usually just yell at the offending scout to go to sleep. The only time I an remember having an issue, I was hanging in the back yard, sound asleep, about 2am and the dog started barking. I don't know what he was barking at, but it sure startled me, OK,,, scared the h*** out of me.

We had an asst SM that used to wear earplugs, but that was because of another leader, and snoring issues. When on camporees, we use the old style canvas scout tents, and have a large 4 man for the leaders. This was another great thing about hammocking, I use my own set up, away from the snoring folks.....RR
    I'm a member of PETA!!!!

People
    Eating
    Tasty
    Animals

I wear ear plugs every time...

My profession requires me to get up at a moments notice so the littlest sounds wake me up! Sucks but with ear plugs I sleep sound as a bound.
    "yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift---thats why its called a present" - Master Oogway
    It's always best if your an early riser!

Hammock
    Darien UL/Roaming Gnome
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ's
    Suspension
    Dutch speed hooks
    I have a hard time falling asleep on a good night; part of getting older I guess. for me some noises actually help. My wife runs a fan in our bedroom every night. On my last outing I was in a hollow by a spring and the woods were quieter than I've ever experienced. it was almost eerie it was so still, no wind, no rustle of leaves, not birds or insect noise...nothing. I found it almost impossible to sleep. Kept listening to my IPod and that helped.

On the other hand, too many noises make it hard for me to sleep because they "alert" you, make you pay attention. I've thought of using ear plugs but I find the thought of doing so disturbing because you can't hear whats coming. Okay...sounds stupid but out in the woods I want to be able to hear what's going on around me.

So the music thing works best for me along with some Tylenol PM

Gideon

I dont use earplugs, I cant hear anything over my own snoring. I used to fight so my nose took a beating, I snore loud, ive tried everything and cant seem to stop.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx/Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    +1 on earplugs. They never leave my kit - I store them with my First Aid supplies. I'm a light sleeper and often camp with scouts or my family, so I'm sensitive to someone having an issue and needing help. I have to use the earplugs if another adult is nearby snoring, though, or there's no way I'd get any sleep.
    Brian
    Denver, CO
    Father. Husband. Scoutmaster.

I wear earplugs at night when I sleep. I also wear them when on the motorcycle. If on a moto-camping trip, I have those along with the pair in the side pocket of the tent (now hammock), and the pair in the first aid kit.

Had a disturbing little incident a few weeks ago, however. One earplug came out. In a stupor, I fumbled around in the dark, found it, and popped it in my mouth. That woke me up!
    The sailor does not pray for wind, he learns to sail.
    - Gustaf Lindborg

The suspense is thrilling me!

Hammock
    WBBB-XLC Multicam 1.7 double
    Tarp
    WB Superfly w/door
    Insulation
    R-11
    Suspension
    Over the Shoulder
    Ambien XR and two bud lights

Hammock
    Dangerbird, HHED
    Tarp
    WB Superfly Camo
    Insulation
    HG UQ, SS
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    My wife wears them, but for the life of me I can't understand why... I've never heard myself snore, but I've been told....

Once a year we do a show and have to share a room, I always have a pair for the other person to stop the whining the next morning.

What is funny to me is that almost everyone snores to some extent, one guy complained all morning to everyone who would listen. After all the complaining I fired up the video that I recorded of his snoring, man it woke me up, and I thought this is what my wife hears, but he had no idea he snored so loud.

I have found a solution that works for me though... be the first to go to sleep. You'll likely get the best sleep.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast