Well, took my first ever hammock camping/backpacking trip this past weekend on the Mid-State trail in PA. We were outside the boyscout camp along 322 on 7 mountains between Lewistown and State College.

First night I played follow the leader with my two friends I was with and learned the in's and out's of hammock camping since I've only ever car camped at public locations. When it was time to hit the hay the first night I threw my Thermarest ridgerest classic pad into my Skeeter Beeter Pro and threw my cheapo 45 degree sleeping bag in with it and another fleece fold-over sleeping bag kinda thing. Wore my tshirt with a long sleeve waffle top and my ski-coat over it all and just had sweatpants and wool socks over my normal socks. Partially underdressed and under insulated the first night for sure. Was supposed to get down to 41 but being on the mountain surrounded in snow (still) it got down to 32 at the coldest and I was just entirely uncomfortable the whole night. CBS kicked in after an hour and remained, the shoulders were chilly almost all night even with a car window reflector under them (Should have folded it in half so it was double layered) so I tossed and turned and shivered most of the night while my buddies both were sitting in 90+ degree hammocks with underquilts and proper clothing.

Needless-to-say I immediately hated the pad. Plus, the way I roll and move often caused it to ride up on one side or the other every few hours, and it built up moisture on the little ridges within it. Surely that didn't help my cause.

Night 2 I wore just about ALL my clothing (thermal/long sleeve/LS waffle top/sweatshirt/ski coat...then underwear/thermal underwear/sweatpants..same doubled up socks) and switched a buddy for his 20 (I think) degree mummy bag, which I put INTO my cheapo bag and zipped fully. Doubled up the window reflector and the temp got down to just 45 but I was toasty and nice other than when I would get too far right or left on the pad and it would wiggle out from under me.

Bought a SnugPak UQ from a user on here for $50 literally brand new and unopened that I can't wait to use on the next trip so I can ditch the annoying pad. I'll still bring it in case it gets COLD COLD and I need to double up, but guaranteed I'll feel a lot better with the UQ vs the pad. Better sleep, better warmth, better comfort, etc. Still had a blast on the trip, just dreaded going to sleep the 2nd night.