WBBB 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    Custom OT Setup
    Suspension
    Webbing

VA/WV>White Rocks Hike-n-Hang>April 5th-7th, 2013

What food do you all like to bring and do you have it in a bear bag/canister or just in your packs?

My main meals (dinners) are dehydrated, oatmeal or something like it for breakfast, a wrap or something for lunch and various snacks. Generally for the first night I try to bring a fresh meat and cook it over a fire, but this is all dependent on the weather (rain = no fire, no fire = no meat cooked over fire). So this is usually a last minute thing for me.

I carry my food in my pack while hiking, bear bag it at night, unless I am going to an area that requires a canister. Canisters are not required in the area that we will be in, but you can bring one/use one if you like, nothing wrong with doing so. All of my food stays in my odor proof bag (trash gets double bagged), don't want to attract any unwelcome visitors (4 legged n furry type, small or large ones).

This is a hike 'n' hang event so you'll have to pack in your food and pack out the trash.
    "yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift---thats why its called a present" - Master Oogway
    It's always best if your an early riser!

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Good advice on the food, CB. I broke my dehydrator, so I'm splurging on prepared dinners from Packitgourmet and Hawkvittles. Never done this before, but both sources have received good reviews. I've been told that there's no water at the campsite near White Rocks, so Saturday we'll be carrying water on our climb. I'll probably fill up 3 or 4 liters at the Friday camp.

Quote Originally Posted by WV View Post
    Good advice on the food, CB. I broke my dehydrator, so I'm splurging on prepared dinners from Packitgourmet and Hawkvittles. Never done this before, but both sources have received good reviews. I've been told that there's no water at the campsite near White Rocks, so Saturday we'll be carrying water on our climb. I'll probably fill up 3 or 4 liters at the Friday camp.
    The only PG I've had is the chicken and dumplings and that was fantastic. All of the HV I've had have been awesome, haven't had a bad one yet although I've only had the dinners and breakfasts. I've heard some of the spreads aren't the best.

Had no idea about the water issue, how far is the closest water source?

Will we be passing one on the way to the Saturday camp site?
    "yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift---thats why its called a present" - Master Oogway
    It's always best if your an early riser!

Hammock
    WBRR, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    WL OMW, DW Hex
    Insulation
    Lynx & Wooki UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Cilp Straps

Water on the White Rocks Hike

All,

If we hike the route CCW (taking the west leg first) the last water (from what I've read) is about 1/4 mi. before the second campsite which is the campsite that has been suggested we stay on Friday night. There is no water at the overlook campsite but it's only about 1.5 mi. from the Friday night campsite (although ~2000 feet uphill). We'll have to back enough water for Sat. afternoon, night, and Sun. morning.
    I we hike it CW (take the east leg first), we would camp Fri. night at the overlook campsite (no water). We would have to pack in enough water for Fri. afternoon, night & Sat. morning & afternoon. Water would be available close to the Sat. night campsite whichever one we choose.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    Custom OT Setup
    Suspension
    Webbing
    I think I will be packing heavy. I am going to be trying out some new gear too.

Hammock
    BMBH UL
    Tarp
    SupaFly
    Insulation
    Flight jacket Zepp
    Suspension
    diy whoopie& strap
    Images
    dinners will be ramen type food, lunches no cook type things fruit gronla bars more snacks than anything. i dont have a sent proof bag just have a roll top dry bag i use to keep all my food in. trash goes in a galon ziplock and back in the dry bag. i normaly just keep my food with me at night but if you guys want i have a throw line i can string it up
    It's not the fall im scared of, it's the sudden stop at the end!!!

Only hang as high as your willing to fall- H.F. member

Hammock
    $20 yukon outfitters
    Tarp
    Eno Dry Fly
    Insulation
    enLightened UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    My food stays in ziplock bags in a sealed sugar canister and gets tossed in a stuff sack. I learned long ago that the best dear deterrent is a good northern breed dog. That extra scent gland is good at keeping most crittters out of a campsite. I still havent picked the menu but i suspect it will be various boiled grain with peanutbutter for lunch and oatmeal mornings.

Hammock
    DH Darien UL
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Please hang your food guys, I don't want anyone to get eaten. If you have never hung your food before one of us will show you fast and easy ways of doing it. BTW there are big furry animals in them there woods.

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    It's the little furry ones (mice, chipmunks, etc.) that you need to worry about. Dogs will do a good job of keeping critters away while they're awake, but much-used campsites often come with a cadre of experienced pack chewing food raiders.

• + New Posts
  • Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast