Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Grommets Ripping Out?

Well, they're not grommets, Walmart sells them as 'extra large eyelets' (much cheaper than the grommet kit they sell in sporting goods). I've tried 1 layer of ripstop, 2 layers, 1 layer of webbing, 2 layers of webbing, every time i've attached one, i've tied a cord into the grommet and pulled pretty hard to test it's strength. Every method I have tried so far has had the fabric bunch up in the direction of pull, and pull away from the hole and enlarge it opposite the direction of pull. None of this is satisfactory. These eyelets are the ones with metal 'fingers' that bend and lock the piece in place, as opposed to the normal camping grommets which are smooth metal all around, not sure if it matters. Maybe i'm not hammering them in enough. Not sure which part of the grommet is supposed to have the holding power.

What type of grommets/eyelets have you used for your tie-outs? What type of reinforcement? Any tricks?

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sparkysko View Post
    Well, they're not grommets, Walmart sells them as 'extra large eyelets' (much cheaper than the grommet kit they sell in sporting goods). I've tried 1 layer of ripstop, 2 layers, 1 layer of webbing, 2 layers of webbing, every time i've attached one, i've tied a cord into the grommet and pulled pretty hard to test it's strength. Every method I have tried so far has had the fabric bunch up in the direction of pull, and pull away from the hole and enlarge it opposite the direction of pull. None of this is satisfactory. These eyelets are the ones with metal 'fingers' that bend and lock the piece in place, as opposed to the normal camping grommets which are smooth metal all around, not sure if it matters. Maybe i'm not hammering them in enough. Not sure which part of the grommet is supposed to have the holding power.

What type of grommets/eyelets have you used for your tie-outs? What type of reinforcement? Any tricks?
    IMO most types of grommets are going to weaken the material. And they're heavy. I use nylon webbing loops for my tie-outs, with the possible addition of nylon/plastic d-rings or tri-rings.
    "Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting." - J. J. Thompson

Images
    Can you post a pic of what you are talking about with the material bunching?

I my GGR tie outs on my tarp and have not had any problems. I reinforced them with 1.9 oz ripstop. For my tarp placement of the stakes and where they pull makes a big difference on the pitch.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Images
    Gommets and XL eyelets on tarps must have at least one layer of sturdy fabric to reinforce them -- I use two.

Images
    I would have to see a picture to even give an worthwhile comments.

Here's the pic, this is on a double layer of 1" poly webbing (i think, it's the tie-down straps sold in walmart). With an extra large grommet. this is after i've done my strength test.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sparkysko View Post
    Here's the pic, this is on a double layer of 1" poly webbing (i think, it's the tie-down straps sold in walmart). With an extra large grommet. this is after i've done my strength test.
    Yup, that looks like the results from every DIY grommet kit I've ever used.
    "Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting." - J. J. Thompson

Images
    You could always use the 1" D-rings like that on MacCat Tarps.

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    when hammock engineer said GGR, he was referring to grosgrain ribbon.
    that's one of the easiest & most commonly used methods for attaching guy lines to a light weight tarp.
    the corner reinforcement mentioned can be seen in this pic by blackbishop http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery...ackCatM2-8.JPG
    you can also see the webbing he used as a tie-out. webbing (either 3/4" or 1") is great too & even stronger.
    but i've never had GGR to break. matter of fact, on a recent trip the corner of my tarp tore on a high wind night, but it was because i had used a lesser fabric for the corner reinforcement. the GGR tie-out was fine. http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery...5/P2180045.JPG
    Last edited by slowhike; 02-27-2007 at 20:12.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

well, i was hoping to put rivets in just in case i want to shove a stick or hiking pole or whatever through the hole, although i don't have a hiking pole, so it's not too much of a loss. Or are you referring to using the D-rings and stuff to attach the rope?

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast