Tarp
    Dyneema Hammock ge
    Insulation
    Down top and botto
    Suspension
    Hammock gear
    Images
    Cool Cannibal
    Predictions are risky, especially when it comes to the future.

Hammock
    Blackbird XL
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    straps and buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    Looks like the lowest temps we're gonna see this weekend are 4F.

Winds should be 10-20 mph so that should help cool it off a bit. We will both be under SuperFlies hanging BlackBirds (dbl. 1.7 and dbl 1.1) and Genuine Draft will be using the SnugFit for 2 nights then switching out to what I'm using for the third night just to make a nice comparison. Camp on the first night will be at 9300'; second day will be spent scouting some good sites up on a nearby peak that is around 10,400'. Really hoping to find a good site up there; it's gorgeous!

In addition to some mandatory hammock/tarp/UQ pics, I will try to get some shots of the amazing views in this area. We'll be near Fraser, CO a few miles out of town and UP a bit, but I've got me a new thermometer, so I should be able to report real time temps and conditions. Two more nights under a roof then it's FUN TIME!
    Hey Cannibal,

My son lived in Fraser for nearly two years, just moved back here. He was a ski bum, worked for a resort in winter park. He loved it. Spent summers as a raft guide on the Colorado River. Now he is in graduate school and married. Ah, to be young again. Have fun, that is an absolutely beautiful area.
    “Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
    ― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    canobie-
    It has become one of my favorite areas to camp! Kind of a PITA to get in and out of during winter (never know when the pass will close), but plenty of wilderness fairly easily accessible and very few other hardy folks out and about in the woods. The views are so dramatic they are breathtaking with sheer rock walls and gentle slopes all combined into one "Wow! That's cool!" view. Can't wait!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Well kids, my wonderful plans got torn to shreds!

Very long story-short; we only got two nights out at a miserable site since my selected site was not accessible with a truck and I didn't have sleds with me to pull gear the 2 miles uphill to the site (don't get me started). The coldest it got was 12F and the site was very well sheltered from the wind, so that didn't even get factored in. It got nice and cold the day after we left, but isn't that always the way.

The SnugFit did wonderfully on the BlackBird. Genuine Draft's feet 'popped-out' from the SnugFit a couple of times, but after resetting the SnugFit and being sure the footbox was down inside the SF, all was fine. GD is a cold sleeper and did fine with the SF and a 1/4" GG pad with my RMS on top (GD, SF, GG, RMS...I sound like a government employee!)

I did learn two things:

One-Getting into a hammock when hanging above 3-4' of loosely packed snow powder is entertainment in its own right. Without my snowshoes on the bottom zipper came about up to my armpits and I was determined to get in without the shoes. How long you think that lasted?

Two-Snowmobiles are a horrible thing to wake to. One came zipping past our camp at about 6:00am; think I peed myself a little.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    Strap, Whoopie
    Images
    I did learn two things:

One-Getting into a hammock when hanging above 3-4' of loosely packed snow powder is entertainment in its own right. Without my snowshoes on the bottom zipper came about up to my armpits and I was determined to get in without the shoes. How long you think that lasted?
    I would have paid to see that. No video going at the time?

Two-Snowmobiles are a horrible thing to wake to. One came zipping past our camp at about 6:00am; think I peed myself a little.
    Been there, done that. Hiked in to the forest in the UP, set up in the snow (back in the tent days,) and found out at bar time that we were 50 yds off a major snowmobile trail. Nothing like drunk snowmobilers zipping past you in the dark at 40-60 mph.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12