Hexon 1.6 Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Winter Haven
    Insulation
    Climashield UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies / Straps

Packing Issues

I did not like the tubular aspect of trying to pack them in my backpack. While the volume was still practically the same, the way it was shaped, left lots of pockets of space that were hard to utilize.

I ended up having to pack my setup on the outside of my pack, and that is not really the way I like it. Of course, I use a smaller pack and a larger pack would not have the same issues.

Hammock
    WWM or tablecloth
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    shamu 40*
    Suspension
    UCR whoopie
    Images
    I know I'm the minority user here... I like the stuff sacks for just about everything, compression sacks for down, hammock has a bag with a grommet and tarp has a bag with a grommet right now... But inside the tarp bag the tarp is rolling up to ridgeline and tied to it using some loose half hitches all along it so when it comes out of the bag it stay rolled up... Mainly for wind purposes... It works the same way as mesh skins, allows it to air dry, keeps my line from getting all tangled allows me to see the stars and yet still have access quickly to the tarp... I think my next evolution of this idea for me is some small loops made of shock cord that just slide back and forth...

I like the ability to hang it on the outside without the bag, and if its dry stuff it and it goes in, or when I'm winter camping and it seems like I gained items at camp and all the stuff won't fit I can hang my tarp on the outside either in the sack or just bundled together...
    Live, Laugh, Love, if that doesn't work. Load, Aim and Fire, repeat as necessary...

Buy, Try, Learn, Repeat

Hammock
    HH Expedition, HH Explorer Dlx
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    I have two complete sets but do the same for both.

Stuff sack that is open on both ends that I use like a Bishop Bag holds my HH and Nest UQ. Another stuff sack holds my ENO dbl & PLUQ. In fact I just finished up new sacks for these last night as I did not like how the sizing on the old ones.

Snake skins hold tarps for both sets. One is the stock HH and the other is 12' x 12' Kelty Noah. I am going to need to purchase or make better skin for the Kelty as I don't like what I have.

Hammocks/UQ go inside the pack in a dry section of the pack while the tarps on on the outside.

Hammock
    GT Double/Single
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wallyworld CCF Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Quote Originally Posted by Brute1100 View Post
    I know I'm the minority user here... I like the stuff sacks for just about everything, compression sacks for down, hammock has a bag with a grommet and tarp has a bag with a grommet right now... But inside the tarp bag the tarp is rolling up to ridgeline and tied to it using some loose half hitches all along it so when it comes out of the bag it stay rolled up... Mainly for wind purposes... It works the same way as mesh skins, allows it to air dry, keeps my line from getting all tangled allows me to see the stars and yet still have access quickly to the tarp... I think my next evolution of this idea for me is some small loops made of shock cord that just slide back and forth...

I like the ability to hang it on the outside without the bag, and if its dry stuff it and it goes in, or when I'm winter camping and it seems like I gained items at camp and all the stuff won't fit I can hang my tarp on the outside either in the sack or just bundled together...
    I use 'Ouchless' (just means no metal clip) hair ties. They're cheap, light and slide onto and off of the tarp easily.
    "We're the Sultans of Swing."

Hammock
    Eno Dn, Sn, DIY "Ahote"
    Tarp
    DIY soon
    Insulation
    Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie and straps
    I just made a set out of Polyester/Nylon blend fabric. Im guessing this type of fabric is not the best choice for moisture but utilizing the plans shown in the DIY section they turned out better than I expected. I too like to have everything in its own little bag. Just makes things neat and tidy. Not all that concerned about the weight.
    Enjoy life's journey, but leave no tracks...

Mahna Mahna...

"The more we hang, the more we have to leave in the end" -Gresh

Hammock
    WWM or tablecloth
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    shamu 40*
    Suspension
    UCR whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by OldRagFreeze View Post
    I use 'Ouchless' (just means no metal clip) hair ties. They're cheap, light and slide onto and off of the tarp easily.
    I was going to steal the wife's, and luck would have it she was out, and I wasn't sure if they would be tight enough... I have elastic cord that I was just going to tie a square knot in once I find the right diameter... Right now it has paracord on it...
    Live, Laugh, Love, if that doesn't work. Load, Aim and Fire, repeat as necessary...

Buy, Try, Learn, Repeat

Hammock
    wbbb,streamliner,GTUL
    Tarp
    Supafly,HG cuben
    Insulation
    JRBmt4,diy,AHE
    Suspension
    whooopieee
    I am really cheap, so i use dept store stuff sack, and panty hose.

Hammock
    Eno Double Nest
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah's 12
    Insulation
    JrB greylock 3 Uq
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by dkurfiss View Post
    I have two complete sets but do the same for both.

Stuff sack that is open on both ends that I use like a Bishop Bag holds my HH and Nest UQ. Another stuff sack holds my ENO dbl & PLUQ. In fact I just finished up new sacks for these last night as I did not like how the sizing on the old ones.

Snake skins hold tarps for both sets. One is the stock HH and the other is 12' x 12' Kelty Noah. I am going to need to purchase or make better skin for the Kelty as I don't like what I have.

Hammocks/UQ go inside the pack in a dry section of the pack while the tarps on on the outside.
    What size snake skins are you using for the Noah 12 ?

And why don't you like the ones you are using now?

I just ripped a snake skin. I'm going to move to a DIY bishop bag as it packs better for my needs. I don't really like the snake skins as they tend to be less tidy in my pack.

Hammock
    DH Darien UL
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I made a set of cuban snakeskin's for my cuban tarp last year and haven't looked back, I love them. Being cuban not worried about airing out or drying while hiking. I made a No-see-um set for my silnylon tarp just because I had some scrap I didn't know what to do with. I store my tarp on the outside of my pack as not to get very thing wet from rain or dew on the tarp. Very easy project for a first DIY

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast