Tarp
    WL OMW
    Insulation
    The Ridge Creek
    Suspension
    Warbonnet Buckle
    Images

Who uses the Military Sleep System

I have the full system with bivy, green patrol bag, and black intermediate bag. I know the system is heavy and I am looking to possibly trade it out for a TQ. My question is who uses the MSS hammock camping and how do you utilize it. I think I saw several months back where someone was using the bivy as a sort of hammock sock? I have the new WBRR and am looking to find ways of of utilizing what I have for insulation. I also have an Exped synmat that I plan to use for insulation, I have the double Ridge Runner. Any thoughts or suggestions on how to use the MSS would be greatly appreciated. In addition I also have a no sew poncho liner underquilt that I would like to be able to use on the RR as well.

Hammock
    Many
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    At nearly 12 lbs and big enough to swallow a 40 L pack, most use them for car camping. Combined with the Synmat, that should handle anything down to 10-20 below F. Using the bivy as a sock would literally be a stretch.

Hammock
    MARPAT Freebird/DB72
    Tarp
    UGQ MultiCam WD12
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas, whoopie
    I use the MSS quite a bit in my hammocks. Which component depends on the conditions. At 70* and above I use the patrol as a TQ. 60-70* I use the bivy and patrol bag as a s sleeping bag. Below 60 I use all 3, either as a TQ or a bag, depending on just how cold. The Goretex seems to help keep CBS at bay. Have just started using a down UQ and been experimenting with just the intermediate bag as a TQ. So far it's good down to 37*. I don't mind the bulk of the whole system in winter as it makes setup quick and can modify to fit conditions. And if forced to go to ground then am well covered. But YMMV. Hope this helps. Feel free to PM me any questions.
    Leave me alone, I'm only talking to my dog today.

I may be outnumbered, but never outmanned.

Palmetto State Hangers: We're not crazy, the Groundpounders are!!!!

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    WL OMW
    Insulation
    The Ridge Creek
    Suspension
    Warbonnet Buckle
    Images
    Thanks for the replies. Has anyone used either bag and bivy as an underquilt? If so how did you do it?

Hammock
    Many
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cmplpwilt View Post
    Thanks for the replies. Has anyone used either bag and bivy as an underquilt? If so how did you do it?
    About the only way you could pull that off is to modify it and install a suspension. Depending on how that's done, it may no longer work as a bag.

If you made an opening at the bottom, it could be used as a pod.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe+2QZQ Mod #4
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/ 2QZQ OFS
    Insulation
    OWL 20* TQ/UQ's
    Suspension
    Whoopies+Biner
    I'm old school military...I use my old ICW sleeping bag quite a bit in the winter when I'm car camping with my hammock.

When backpacking/hiking in, I tend to use my civilian 20deg bag along with a small fleece and poncho liner.

Hammock
    One of Eight
    Tarp
    Cuban Baby !!
    Insulation
    I'm Down
    Suspension
    MYOG, whoopies
    Images
    I thought this was a trick question .. I thought ..why the military does ..of course ...
    "The wise man questions others wisdom because he questions his own, the foolish man because it is different from his own." Leo Stein

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Chinook 12 x 9.6
    Insulation
    Mummy bag
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images
    I have used the intermediate bag with the bivy as a TQ many times. I unzip it all the way down, put my feet in the footbox, and use it like a blanket. I have never tried it as an UQ. I have a PLUQ that I supplement with Insultex and truck sunshade as needed. That just goes between my double layers since I can adjust tension on my second later. No squishing to ruin insulation properties.

I am hoping to get a down TQ since I like to backpack. That bag just eats up so much volume in a pack and is so heavy.

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Tarp
    Noah 12
    Insulation
    Incubator Burrow
    Suspension
    Webbing/DutchCinch
    I purchased the MSS a few months ago, and ended up sending it back after I realized a few things. I thought it would be more convenient, but even if I ignore that it weighs 3x my 0deg-UQ and 0deg-TQ (combined ~3lbs) and that it takes up a whole pack I still found that it doesn't make sense for a hammock.

1.)It's awkward to move around in. (I thought one sleeping bag was hard, but three...)
    2.)You still need a pad, or UQ. Awkward++
    3.)The bivy might keep you dry, but not your hammock or your gear.

In the end I think spending the money on getting your tarp / hammock easy to setup and adjust, ends up being the best for convenience. I could only see the MSS being a great emergency system for a trunk, or using pieces of it at a time as mentioned above.
    Last edited by Monday; 12-28-2012 at 17:21.

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Tarp
    Noah 12
    Insulation
    Incubator Burrow
    Suspension
    Webbing/DutchCinch
    That being said, if you did mod the system into a pod of some sort, it's only drawback I can think of would size and weight. I'd love to see that mod.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast