BIAS WWM
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/Doors
    Insulation
    UGQ 3/4 20*
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    I'll be running for the hills while the bear is munching on you zippered bugnetters!
    For the East Coasters here (where I come from for the majority of my backpacking experience) I will say that there is no risk to run from a bear "munching" on you. Other than in the Great Smokey Mountains NP I slept with my food during most all of my camping trips while in the southern Appalachians and never had any problems with bears.

East coast black bears are very easy to deal with, in fact I have had to force off the trail three distinct black bears, over the course of two hours, that were blocking the way back to my car when I had to be at work later that day. Just make a lot of noise and they will leave you alone in my experience.

As for hanging food near your hammock, I do not have much experience with that. During my time in the southern Appalachians I left my food inside of my tent, which may throw off the weight distribution of a hammock. I'm still trying to figure out the best distribution of food while in a hammock. Right now I have reverted to hanging my food.

In response to the original question, I use the Warbonnet Travel Net bug net. It allows me to use a hammock up to ten feet in length with an appropriate ridgeline. It also lets me use an under quilt inside of the bug netting, whereas the BIAS buginator net appears, in use, to make the use of an underquilt more difficult. This is merely my observation at the moment. Soon I will have an underquilt to use, and the types of bugnets which cinch up tight to the bottom of a hammock seem to not allow for the use of an underquilt in the same way that my Warbonnet does. If anyone has any conflicting experience please voice it.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    I'm against any bugnet (or hammock, for that matter) with a zipper. When I want to get out of my hammock, I want to get out NOW. I don't like waking up wondering where the hell the zipper is. Call me claustrophobic, but fumbling with zippers was also one of the many reasons I hated tents.

That's why I prefer a bottom-entry bugnet (like the BIAS Buginator or DIY Fronkey) 'cause I can swing my feet out of the hammock and they're on the ground. I'll be running for the hills while the bear is munching on you zippered bugnetters!

The DIY top-entry bugnet (TED) is something I'd also consider 'cause it looks like you can get out of it lickety-split.
    That's one of the reasons I went with a Velcro closure, like the old Speer designs. It also makes the net removable without having to mess about with anything hanging underneath the hammock.
    "Just prepare what you can and enjoy the rest."
    --Floridahanger

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by Texico View Post
    ...I use the Warbonnet Travel Net bug net. It allows me to use a hammock up to ten feet in length with an appropriate ridgeline. It also lets me use an under quilt inside of the bug netting, whereas the BIAS buginator net appears, in use, to make the use of an underquilt more difficult. This is merely my observation at the moment. Soon I will have an underquilt to use, and the types of bugnets which cinch up tight to the bottom of a hammock seem to not allow for the use of an underquilt in the same way that my Warbonnet does. If anyone has any conflicting experience please voice it.
    In my experience, the open bottom/cinching style of bug net works very well with UQ's. These don't need to be cinched up nearly as tight as is shown on the BIAS website. It is also just as easy (if not easier) to put on or remove an UQ with the bug net on.

For example, this bug net seals well without additional tightening of the draw cord.

Here's an earlier thread showing how a "wide opening" open bottom bug net can be opened up.

The defense rests.
    Last edited by gmcttr; 12-29-2012 at 10:28.

Hammock
    Custom Trail Lair; Streamliner DL
    Tarp
    Noahs 12
    Insulation
    Incubator/Bandit 0
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    I know this post is a little old, but I've been researching three bugnets for my eno dn: the WB travel, ENO guardian, and the WL bugnet.
    I like the price of the Eno, but weight seems too much (16oz - ouch) and the vertical zipper looks like it could be difficult to get in/out of for a big guy like me.
    The WB is half the weight of the ENO and horizontal zipper looks much wider, but the zipper looks like it doesn't go down very far. I'd be afraid that too much of my weight might be resting on the net and I don't want to risk a tear. It's also $10 more than the ENO.
    The WL is a little heavier (9oz.) and zipper looks to be a hybrid of the ENO and WB. It is shaped almost like a D door on a tent. Looks like it folds out of the way when not zipped. The WL is the most expensive of the three ($70).
    I have an email into WL to ask about a stuff sack and other concerns, but I think I'm leaning in that direction.

I realize that there are many DIY patterns that are really great, but I figure if I screw up on my first try, I'll end up spending almost as much as I would purchasing from pro's.

I have had issues with skeeters biting through the bottom of the ENO DN when I don't have my UQ. I think the low hang of any of these would solve the problem.

If anyone has any input or experience in comparing these three, please share your knowledge to a hanger still trying to get his set-up right.

Hammock
    90"x11' DIY Tablecloth
    Tarp
    UGQ WinterDream 11
    Insulation
    SnuggleBug
    Suspension
    Dutch cinch buckle

Re: Bugnet Choices

I borrowed an ENO net from a friend last bug season. The things I didn't like about it were that it was difficult to put my UQ on once the net was in place and I kept feeling like I might rip it at the bottom of the zipper when entering or exiting. I am planning to modify an army bug net and had originally planned to base it on the ENO design. After using one, I don't think I would go with a vertical entry. The horizontal entry would fix both issues I experienced, however, I am leaning towards a bottom entry which will be even better for set up and entering/exiting.
    Just me being me

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Palmetto State Hangers Treasurer <--Facebook Group Page
    [COLOR="#008000"][SIZE=2]SC Fall Sprawl 2016-Santee State Park - October 13-16---->

Hammock
    ENO Double Nest
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    UQG UQ, Ozark TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I use the ENO BN. I like the zipper because I hang one of these on it: http://www.amazon.com/Streamlight-73006-Flashlight-Buckmasters-Foundation/dp/B008JLHOLU

it's just handy that way and it's a nice light.
    <>< Matthew R. <><
    K5NON
    Bike4Heck.com
    Helotes, Texas

"Lighten Your Life And Enlighten Your Mind" -M.R.

Hammock
    eno DN
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20° Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies

Re: Bugnet Choices

I really like my WL bug net. It's easy to get in and hangs low enough that I can just drop my book over the side when I get tired without hurting the net.

I haven't used it in the rain, so I'm not sure how messy things will get where it hits the ground.

Last fall, I was reading my book while in camp and I noticed something moving out of the corner of my eye. A mouse had climbed all the way up the net. One smack with my book shook it off and I never saw it again.

I don't hang my hammock extra low, just low enough to act like a chair with my feet on the ground. Do the other nets hit the ground?

Hammock
    DIY DL 1.1/1.9 gathered end
    Tarp
    Noah 9 for now
    Insulation
    DIY UQ, pad
    Suspension
    woopies/straps
    welcome to the crazy

Hammock
    Custom Trail Lair; Streamliner DL
    Tarp
    Noahs 12
    Insulation
    Incubator/Bandit 0
    Suspension
    cinch buckles

Bit the bullet!!!

Just ordered the bugnet from WL!!!! I emailed Marty with many questions and he responded right away. GREAT customer service. (I felt bad for asking so many questions but I had to be sure before dropping $70!)

Can't wait to receive the net and practice setting up. I am really looking forward to bug-free hanging all spring and summer long.

Will post more about the fit over my ENO DN once I receive it and get a chance to set it up.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123