Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bugnet Choices

Bugnet Choices

Wow! When I stumbled onto Hammock Forums I never realized that the gear was so diverse. I literally have umpteenmillions of choices. I guess that's what you guys are here for right? Or do you beat up the new guys who ask to many questions.

Regardless, as stated, land of the mosquitoes I do live, a bugnet is something I want. What to choose? Will it fit? I actually just picked up my VERY FIRST HAMMOCK! Although it may be cheaper than Shug's super shelter deluxe extraordinaire I think it'll do me just fine until I get used to hanging around.

This hammock will have a ridgeline and whoopie slings, unsure if that matters, I'm also looking for something cheap. I'm sure not all of you read my first post but I am a single dad of two beautiful girls (Lord help me to aim true when the boys no longer have cooties! ) so spending wildly on non essential items isn't something I'm looking at doing.

I would love to shoot for the 50 dollar range but hey let me hear your ideas and maybe buying once will save me the hassle in the long run! Any input for types or brands of bugnets. Velcro I do not mind, I'd like something lighter than heavier but for the price range I'm not sure what I'll get. I'd also like a complete enclosure rather than not.

I very much appreciate everyone taking the time to help out or at least look at my questions and posts. Just post a brand name or type and I can google search the rest. I'd do that anyways but I'd like to hear what other have to recommend.

Also probably the most essential question a tad bit off topic....AM I supposed to search these things and bring up dead threads or do we just keep asking. Some forums I know get extremely agitated and tell the new guys to search, so if that's the case let me know and I'll stop bugging ya'll.

Yeti

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Dangerbird
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ Full Set
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Images
    I've got a DIY "TED" bugnet that I bought second-hand, but love. My first bugnet was a HUG bug net. Barring DIY projects, I've never heard a poor word spoken about the ENO bugnet that's commercially available. Further, there are plenty of options from the cottage industry here. I've heard good things about the bugnet available from Warbonnet, and I've got friends that rave about the one from Butt In A Sling.

All that said, my first choice (though I didn't have the money to get it) was the ENO bug net (again, commercially available. Amazon usually has a good price).

Your mileage may vary, hang your own hammock.
    I used to be a somebody, now I just camp.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 multicam
    Tarp
    Noah's Tarp 12x12
    Insulation
    CCF Pad, sleeping
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I will suggest first to check out the ENO brand bug net for affordability and diversity. Also, don't discount the diy solution as it is often the cheapest and most effective way to get exactly what you need without paying for what you don't need.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 single
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Yeti UQ, RevX TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies

Bug Net

The WB Travel Net seems like a solid option for a fully enclosed light bug net. Not a bad price either. I know there are others and I don't have experience with this but there are enough YouTube videos that make me think people like it, and I own enough Warbonnet stuff to feel confident saying you'll probably like it.

http://www.warbonnetoutdoors.com/travelers.php

Hope this helps.

-James

Hammock
    WBRR, 35 inch dogbones
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole/OMWintr
    Insulation
    UGQ/HG/AHE
    Suspension
    Whoops/Dutch Bling
    Images
    I know this is 20 bucks more than you want to spend,,but its bomb proof as a bugnet, and there are other cottage mfgers that make similar bug nets, but check out Wilderness Logics bug net of which when hanging in a gathered end hammock is my choice.

http://wildernesslogics.com/NOSEEUM-...UM-BUG-NET.htm
    2nd CAG, CAP 2-1-5 5th Marines, 1st Mar. Div.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combined_Action_Program

Hammock
    WWM or tablecloth
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    shamu 40*
    Suspension
    UCR whoopie
    Images
    I have a "hammock bliss" bugnet, available on amazon... It is similar to the eno net... About 1lb in weight, but it offers full coverage and it is about at your price range... It's not a long set up so if you are in a 10-11 foot hammock you might look other places... But for an eno or a grand trunk ultralight(like me) it it a good kit... Also the stuff sack is over sized so that your hammock+bugnet can go into it which is nice even if it was accidental...
    Live, Laugh, Love, if that doesn't work. Load, Aim and Fire, repeat as necessary...

Buy, Try, Learn, Repeat

WOW! Amazing, see I told you this was a place of information wealth, of course ya'll already knew that. I am just a short guy at 5'8". I actually meant to put 60 instead of 50 but either way everything I've found and or been recommended has been in that 60-70 dollar range! I give two thumbs to the new guy helpers around here!

From the get go I kind of had my heart set on the ENO Guardian, I just wanted to pester ya'll with a question and see what everyone else recommended.

Thanks!
    The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid that you will make one. -LRon Hubbard

Life is easy, it's the path's you take that can be difficult.

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Good choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Potbellied Yeti View Post
    ...From the get go I kind of had my heart set on the ENO Guardian...
    The ENO Guardian is OK (I have one) if it is long enough to fit your hammock. Be aware that it is twice the weight of most of the competition.

Start your search based on the length of your hammock when it is hanging...generally the ridgeline length and add a few inches. Some of the nets are too short for many of today's longer hammocks.

While there is much info on this site to be searched out, you're not going to get grief here for asking. It just isn't tolerated on HF.

Welcome aboard a different kind of forum.

Hammock
    BIAS WWM
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/Doors
    Insulation
    UGQ 3/4 20*
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I have an ENO Doublenest at the moment and I am using the Warbonnet Travelnet with it. It's working pretty well for me. Like others have said it depends on the ridgeline length of your hammock. With the WB Travelnet I am limited to 10 foot long hammocks, while the Wilderness Logics bug net will fit at least up to 11 foot hammocks.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx and Burrow
    Suspension
    Strap and Buckle
    I've got a fronkey style bugnet that I made last summer..... depending on where you live in MN I could just meet up and give it to you.... of course that is if you want it and if it will fit your ridgeline length. PM me if you're interested.

here is what the fronkey bugnet is...
    The camper formerly known as HikingDad...

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast