Hammock
    WBBB 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Super Fly camo
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20
    Suspension
    Adjustable webbing

Newbie here!! I've just revived my first Hennesssy hyperlite A-sym zip. This hammock seems well built and is very comfortable. I also revived the cub as a free gift and that one is equally as nice. I've been reading this forum and wow overload, you guys are a wealth of info. From what I've learned an under quilt is by far the best way to go for bottom insulation. I am a cold sleeper and don't plan any nights below 20 deg. There are lots of quilts out there and I'm a big fan of down. What's your favorite under quilt? Any suggestions to help me in making my decision would be great. Also my tarp seems small, maybe because I'm new but it seems like hard rain and wind blown rain would wet the bottom of hammock..
    Last edited by Ironchic; 12-29-2012 at 10:33.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG TQ,UQ, DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopies or rings
    I love my 0 degree Incubator from Hammockgear.com. I slept in it last night, got down to 29 and I was nice and toasty. They have outstanding service and their quality is top notch. Thats my pick. As for your tarp, you can get larger tarps or an underquilt protector to use until you get a larger tarp. I have an ENO profly that I use in the summer and I watch how I hang it based on wind. And if it is calling for rain I will hang it lower for more protection also. I am looking at the Winter Palace cuben fiber tarp also made by Hammockgear.com.

Welcome from Southern Ohio and enjoy!!
    "I love not man the less, but Nature more."
    Byron

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Welcome from Gainesville!

Regarding underquilts, there are multiple cottage vendors out there who offer high-quality down products. Take a look at what style of hiking you tend to do and how you sleep. That'll help determine whether you want a 2/3, 3/4, or full length underquilt and what temperature rating you want.

As to the tarp, you got the stock Hennessy diamond, yes? If that's the case, then, yes, it is most definitely small. However, if used properly, it will keep you dry in just about anything (most famously, Sgt. Rock here on the forums managed to stay dry through an hurricane using one). However, it's worth learning how to use it as well as possible; broadside to the wind and slightly down the slope in a draw if possible. Practice, practice, practice is the key here. Or, if you're willing to spend on a larger tarp, well...

For a good overview of tarps, underquilts, hammocks, and all things hammockry related, it would definitely be worth coming out to the Third Annual FL Hang at Buck Lake in Ocala National Forest over the weekend of 1/18-22/'13 (that's MLK weekend). The links for it are in my signature, below.

Welcome to the madness!
    "Just prepare what you can and enjoy the rest."
    --Floridahanger

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx/Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Welcome to the forums from Denver!

+1 on the HammockGear Incubator. Great product and well rated. Their 20* version would serve you well. It's also full-length (it covers all of you underneath, instead of just from shoulders to knees/calves). Doing so means you don't also need a pad under your feet and is generally easier to use (downside is that it's a bit larger, meaning a tiny bit heavier and bulkier to pack).

Many replace the stock hennessy hammock. Depending on your available funds, the Warbonnet Superfly is generally considered the best all-around choice. Not too expensive (when compared to the super light versions like cuben fiber) but still packable, lightweight and has great coverage (and it has doors at the ends you can close to eliminate even more wind/bad weather - or pull them out of the way when not needed).

Good luck narrowing down what you want. The flexibility of the systems is one of the fun (and sometimes maddening) things about hammocks!
    Brian
    Denver, CO
    Father. Husband. Scoutmaster.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    AHE/WL/DiY
    Suspension
    straps and stuff
    Welcome from Athens, TN. Yes, there are some great vendors here on Hammock Forums that offer a range of quality UQs. I've got a Flame Thrower down underquilt from Arrowhead Equipment--Paul does great work. But then again, so do LeighLo and Wilderness Logics and Hammock Gear and ...you get the point. Head to the Florida hang and check some out in person, then pick what you like.

Hammock
    WBB
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Baby Orca/Klymit
    Suspension
    straps/c buckles
    Images
    Welcome!

Ocala and Tampa were once home to me.
    Love the Ocala Nat'l Forest.

When I had my first Hennesey, I used a MacCat deluxe.
    Did not get wet ONE time with that on my entire AT hike.

If it gets "Georgia cold" (I dunno, below 30, I guess) I would go for the
    SuperFly.

I bought an UQ from a HF member here named Streamline. He did an amazing job on it.
    Lost_Biker now has a business making UQ shells which I think would be quite useful to you.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

AT '12. AT '14. FT '15. CA '15.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Super Fly camo
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20
    Suspension
    Adjustable webbing
    Thank you everyone for their input. Last night it was 36 deg in central FLA. I was in my hammock around 4 am. I was not as cold as I expected. I had my BA down insulated sleep mat half full of air under me and used my BA 30 deg down sleeping bag as a top quilt. My shoulders and butt got to cold to stay in the hammock for more than 2 hours. I could feel my body losing heat. The rest of me was toasty and warm. I will be getting an under quilt soon.

• + New Posts