Hammock
    WBBB Double Layer
    Tarp
    WL OMW
    Insulation
    Sniveller

Need to try my WBBB but its so cold!

So I got a new WBBB for Christmas, however I live in Ohio and its been pretty cold out ever since. I got a free Saturday to take my setup to some local woods and get it all hung up, layed in it for a few minutes and enjoyed myself, but again it was just so cold.

I don't yet have an UQ, or a TQ, but I'm dying to get out in the WBBB for a few hours and see if I drift off and fall into the best sleep of my life. This is also preventing me from going on some nice winter hikes because I really want to do my first overnighter in a hammock.

My financial situation makes it tough to bite the bullet on $300-$500 worth of gear on the UQ and TQ so I'm not sure what to do. I know just putting my 20* bag in the hammock while its 15* out is not going to be close to enough so I need some advice! Should I just snag an UQ and get out there with my 20* bag? Should I go to ground for the time being and save money untill I can afford it?

I have owned a brand new WBBB for 30 days and I've only spent a total of 10 minutes in it!!!! I'm going crazy!

Hammock
    WL Lt Owl
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Outdoors
    Insulation
    Burrow/Incubator
    Suspension
    Tree straps
    I feel your pain. I am also looking forward to my first night in a new WBBB. However, I'm looking at it as kind of a first date. I want my first night to be perfect.

Good luck

Hammock
    OX Gear
    Tarp
    OX Shed
    Insulation
    Custom m50 HG
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    A tq is not a something you can't hang without, however bottom insulation is a must. Get a uq or a pad and get out there hanging!! Most people start using their sleeping bags and then move to a tq. Some never stop using a bag.
    I'm doing it wrong....

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Get a cheap CCF pad for bottom insulation. Maybe you can borrow another sleeping bag to supplement your bag. I've read where people have been pretty comfortable with a pad and sleeping bag in some pretty cold temperatures.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx/Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    A good UQ and TQ are worth saving for. Get the UQ first as a sleeping bag is a very suitable TQ replacement (unzipped it works almost exactly the same, it's just heavier and bulkier).

An UQ brings comfort and warmth at a level I just couldn't get with a pad. Get that ASAP and then start slowly saving for the TQ.
    Brian
    Denver, CO
    Father. Husband. Scoutmaster.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    If you have the chance to hang near shelter (your car, your house, etc.), give it a go with your bag + extra insulation (a blanket, a poncho liner, etc.) on top of a couple of CCF pads. The trick with pads is to line them up in a "T" formation, so that they cover your shoulders.

With a good bag, some extra insulation, and perhaps $15 spent at WallyWorld on blue CCF pads, you should be okay at those temperatures. It just won't be light or very compact.

Also, especially at those temps, make sure you have a safe place to bail to if things go sideways. First rule of gear testing: do it where you have a safe, familiar solution at hand for the environmental conditions you expect.
    "Just prepare what you can and enjoy the rest."
    --Floridahanger

Hammock
    GT Double/Single
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wallyworld CCF Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Spend $7 at Wal-Mart on a CCF pad, pack plenty of extra layers as an insurance policy and GET OUT THERE! I would probably pick a site fairly near your car just in case you need to bail, but I think you'll be fine.
    "We're the Sultans of Swing."

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 single
    Tarp
    12 X 12 Guide Gear
    Insulation
    DIY synthetic UQ
    Suspension
    Adjustable webbing
    Having to wait is definitely a drag. It's been below zero here. Can surely identify with you.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    Siltarp2
    Suspension
    Adjustable webbing
    Images
    Some great suggestions here and I would not let cold hold you back!

I went on my first WBBB hang last Oct. I was terrified about being cold, but what I did worked out fine. It got down to about 37 that night (which is chilly for where I live). I did not get my UQ in time for the trip, so I used a full-length Ridgerest pad and a folded wool blanket slipped between the double layers and had a thin fleece blanket. I had a 20-degree down bag, which I slept inside of zipped up. The only chill I felt was from the side of the hammock that I did not have the thin fleece blanket on, and a little chill from the top in the pre-dawn hours, for which a simply put on a SOL Heatsheet. I was then warm as toast.
    "YOU KIDS GET OUTSIDE AND AIR YOUR PANTS!"--MOM

Hammock
    WBBB Double Layer
    Tarp
    WL OMW
    Insulation
    Sniveller
    Well it sounds like I've been making some excuses for myself, its time to get out there and see how I like the hang! Thanks everyone for your input, this forum rocks! I'll have plenty more questions coming asap

• + New Posts