Hammock
    Warbonnet- BlackBird
    Tarp
    Warbonnet-SuperFly
    Insulation
    UQ-HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Straps
    A friend of mine uses one of these on occasion. He eliminated the ring and hangs it on a ridge line under his tarp. (10 bucks)

http://www.cheaperthandirt.net/product/CAMP-250

Last edited by just-bobby; 12-30-2012 at 13:43. Reason: added pic (I hope)

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird, dbl 1.1
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Phoenix & Burrow
    Suspension
    straps
    These are all good advice. And I agree with you that the fabric 1.1 is way too thin to take much abrasion wear as would happen between a ground cloth and pad. I got the idea from an old post where someone had made the same set up as you describe Harstad.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Phoenix & Burrow
    Suspension
    straps
    Quote Originally Posted by just-bobby View Post
    A friend of mine uses one of these on occasion. He eliminated the ring and hangs it on a ridge line under his tarp.

http://www.cheaperthandirt.net/product/CAMP-250
    That net looks good.

Hammock
    DIY-Darian UL-like
    Tarp
    z-Packs cuben
    Insulation
    WB Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Straps
    Images
    Here are some pics of my old Hennessy pitched as a tent/bivy on my lawn. Protect the hammock fabric from the ground and this is a workable solution especially in a buggy location. I'm not sure how well it would work if it were really wet and raining as the hammock fabric would likely soak up water and wick it everywhere. Of course you will need some kind of ground insulation, I always carry a torso pad for my legs in the hammock, but obviously it can be used on the ground. A lot of ultralight backpackers just use a tarp and maybe a head net if there are bugs. In that case the hammock can stay stowed and you can just pitch the tarp however you please. Learn some tarp pitching techniques and carry a small pad and you are good for treeless camping should that unsavory circumstance arise.
    -Mark

-SlowBro
    "Do what you can, with what you have, where you are."-Theodore Roosevelt

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Tarps
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ's
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cdesmet52 View Post
    I considered this same issue and decided on a different style of hammock I feel is better suited to going to the ground .....
    Maybe something like the jungle hammock by Claytor? This design lends itself very well to a bivy setup. Picture is from their website.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Phoenix & Burrow
    Suspension
    straps
    Quote Originally Posted by SlowBro View Post
    Here are some pics of my old Hennessy pitched as a tent/bivy on my lawn. Protect the hammock fabric from the ground and this is a workable solution especially in a buggy location. I'm not sure how well it would work if it were really wet and raining as the hammock fabric would likely soak up water and wick it everywhere. Of course you will need some kind of ground insulation, I always carry a torso pad for my legs in the hammock, but obviously it can be used on the ground. A lot of ultralight backpackers just use a tarp and maybe a head net if there are bugs. In that case the hammock can stay stowed and you can just pitch the tarp however you please. Learn some tarp pitching techniques and carry a small pad and you are good for treeless camping should that unsavory circumstance arise.
    -Mark

Did you post these before? I think these are the photos I saw earlier and couldn't find them again. Thanks for posting them. Your set ups are very cool for that emergency time you find yourself on the ground. Did you try it out and do you think the poles would stand up to some tossing?

Hammock
    DIY-Darian UL-like
    Tarp
    z-Packs cuben
    Insulation
    WB Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GnomeBuddy View Post
    Did you post these before? I think these are the photos I saw earlier and couldn't find them again. Thanks for posting them. Your set ups are very cool for that emergency time you find yourself on the ground. Did you try it out and do you think the poles would stand up to some tossing?
    Sorry I'm so late in getting back to this. Yes, I have posted these before here and over on BackpackingLight.com. The Hammock is on the ground. The poles are holding up the tarp primarily. The hammock is only attached loosely to the poles. I did not really give this setup a test other than to crawl in and lay down to see if it would really work, but no overnight in it.

Given that there is not much stress on the poles from the hammock, and you could string it even looser if you wanted, I would guess that tossing and turning would not have much effect on the poles.
    -Mark
    -SlowBro
    "Do what you can, with what you have, where you are."-Theodore Roosevelt

Hammock
    DIY Nest
    Insulation
    Old Bag
    Suspension
    Huggahs
    Quote Originally Posted by hangnout View Post
    Maybe something like the jungle hammock by Claytor? This design lends itself very well to a bivy setup.
    Wow, that looks a lot like a DIY project i've been designing. I like the idea of a double layer hammock with a dual purpose tarp and bug net setup. I need the versatility of hanging or pitching a tarp with my hiking poles, and the double layer would make a nice place to slide a pad... just thinking haha.

The warbonnet BB with two layers of 1.9 would be fine on a ground cloth and with an ridge-line you can use the net. you can even slide your pad in the middle so its integrated. That would work right?

Hammock
    WBBB XL custom 1.1 single.
    Tarp
    Cuben HG w/doors
    Insulation
    Exped DownMat
    Suspension
    Becket hitch
    Images
    If you want to set up your tarp, bug net or hammock with your trekking poles you should look at Bear Paw Wilderness Designs www.bearpawwd.com/ They have trekking pole extenders that will get you higher up off the ground. Plus a lot of other neat stuff.

Hammock
    1.1 dbl ge double strech-side
    Tarp
    Tadpole/ Superfly
    Insulation
    HG- TQ,UQ- DIY PL
    Suspension
    Whoopie,D Buckle
    Images
    If your going to the beach, and not hiking, but car/boat camping, I would recommend making a Turtlelady or Turtledog stand. The beach was the main reason for building mine.....RR
    I'm a member of PETA!!!!

People
    Eating
    Tasty
    Animals

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12