Cat cut tarp
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Yeti
    Suspension
    Woopie slings
    Images

how much loft ?

Hi All
    Out there on the net someplace is a chart that tells you how cold x amount of down loft will go down to, so if I am planning a down top quilt I will know that 1 inch of loft is good to, lets say 40 degrees.

Does anyone know where this page is?
    Thanks
    Gunn
    Rivers know this: there is no hurry. We shall get there some day.
    Winnie the Pooh

My Photo Album
    My youtube videos

Proud member since May 2007

Hammock
    HH Expd Asm or DIY or WBBB or .....
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ / CCF Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie!!!....
    Images
    Gunn, scroll down for chart.

http://thru-hiker.com/projects/down_quilt.php
    My knife is so sharp it cut the sixth finger off my right hand! On the plus side, Inigo Montoya no longer hunts me.

Hammock
    Nano-7
    Tarp
    Cat cut tarp
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Yeti
    Suspension
    Woopie slings
    Images
    Thanks thats great
    Rivers know this: there is no hurry. We shall get there some day.
    Winnie the Pooh

My Photo Album
    My youtube videos

Proud member since May 2007

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffjenn View Post
    I met Jeremy on the AT when both of us were thru hiking in 2000 and he is a great guy. He was a high school student or just out of high school at that time. He wrote those instructions for the quilt he made after his thru hike shortly after that. If my memory is correct, Jeremy later revised some of his opinions after he had used it for a while in various forum postings on how much down you really needed to fill up a quilt and how much is needed to stay warm at what temperatures but I don't know if that article reflects that (I don't think it does). Actually they are inter-related, if you don't have enough down and/or it isn't evenly distributed you can have cold spots and the warmth per inch of down insulation is skewed. Cold spots can be apparent because of the loss of loft or not. You can have loft without much insulation where the down is absent in an area but the down in surrounding areas maintains the loft even without uniform insulation. The colder you go, the more sensitive this is.

Any calculation for the volume of down needed that doesn't take into account baffle spacing is just a guess, a very broad guess because the baffle spacing versus baffle height has a prominent affect on this. And while there isn't anything particularly wrong with doing that for DIYers, I think a "10% overfill" as a correction for that is going to leave most of you a bit disappointed.

Down quilts or bags with inadequate fill, have to be re-fluffed constantly in an attempt to distribute the down as even as possible to minimize troubling cold spots. Those that have an adequate fill generally have enough down to keep the down basically in place (once it has been evenly distributed) without all the fuss and keep you warmer and happier too. They weigh more with more down and when folks want to treat them as commodities where they all work the same if they have the same baffle height, then the ones with the inadequate fill seem to be the best because they are lighter. Lighter isn't always best, particularly when being lighter means something was left out that it really needs and it doesn't work as well... and that is the case when quilts or sleeping bags don't have enough down fill.
    Youngblood AT2000

Hammock
    HH Expd Asm or DIY or WBBB or .....
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ / CCF Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie!!!....
    Images
    Can't argue with the points Dave brings up, but comparing the chart to other commercial quilt manufacturers temp ratings it seems like a good rule of thumb & place to start.
    My knife is so sharp it cut the sixth finger off my right hand! On the plus side, Inigo Montoya no longer hunts me.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffjenn View Post
    Can't argue with the points Dave brings up, but comparing the chart to other commercial quilt manufacturers temp ratings it seems like a good rule of thumb & place to start.
    I think the loft versus temperature rating that is listed is a good place to start. It is the down fill with a 10% overage in the volume of down calculated from rectangular shapes, that caught my attention.
    Youngblood AT2000

• + New Posts