Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tad Pole
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Many hard to sleep nights on the trail until I discovered earplugs.
    Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday...there is no someday.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG down/DIY
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by olddog View Post
    No ear plugs for me. I want to hear what the world is doing. On most of our group hangs we manage to spread out enough that the snoring isn't objectionable though I have been told that I can get loud. Thankfully in the hammock even snap sleeping, short deep sleeps, is adequate for my needs. My most irratiating noise have been the crows in the early AM. It seems that they want to let everyone know it's time to be up and about. Over the years it is amazing how you learn the sounds of the animals in the woods. The soft rustle of the wee ones, the mice, voles & shrews. The short choppy cautious steps of a deer. The boisterous mobbing of the feral hogs who can't be quite if they wanted to. To the unknown night bird who was upset about our invading it's territory. But then I can't hang in the backyard because of the nightclubs within 150 yds and the ambulance service 1/2 mi down the road.
    Or the "snap" of your hammock suspension......
    RON

A tree's a tree. How many more do you need to look at? ~ Ronald Reagan

Hammock
    HH A-sym snake skins, hex tarp
    Tarp
    General's Custom
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear 3/4
    Suspension
    tree hugger
    Images
    Many years back I headed to a convention and had to share a hotel room, at 6AM I woke up to someone yelling my name. My roommate had given up and had spent the night in the bathtub with the door closed - Since then two apnea tests and three operations, I am still on CPAP. So all the snoring is now coming from my wife... no ear protection so far has worked other than real full protection, I have tried all the stuff from the pharmacy, I suspect earbuds might work if unplugged but they won't stay in... so I am in debt for any improvement.
    There was an Old Man with a owl,
    Who continued to bother and howl;
    He sat on a rail, And imbibed bitter ale,
    Which refreshed that Old Man and his owl
    .WOO

Images
    At home I sleep with a "white noise" maker, this makes it difficult sometimes in the field, being so quiet. When I have the option, I camp close to moving water, it lulls me to sleep. When out in the piney woods I fight it till I can't take and put in the ear plugs. Tylenol PM helps also.

swank

Quote Originally Posted by Droopy_STNY View Post
    Zim, I about died reading your post. What ever possessed you to eat your loose ear plug?
    I wasn't even awake. Just noticed that one ear heard more than the other, went sleep-searching, found the plug and... ploop! BLAH!

Must have been dreaming about food. Waxy, fluorescent orange colored squishy-foam food.
    The sailor does not pray for wind, he learns to sail.
    - Gustaf Lindborg

The suspense is thrilling me!

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hangNyak View Post
    Or the "snap" of your hammock suspension......
    Many may have heard the 22 caliber crack of the hugger letting go. Hopefully few heard the following expletive!
    Most of us end up poorer here but richer for being here. Olddog, Fulltime hammocker, 365 nights a year.

I love hearing the sounds of nature. Sometimes I will lie in the hammock mimicing the bird calls to see if I can start a conversation.

My wife is on a CPAP so I'm used to the snoring.

As a Scout leader, I don't use plugs because I WANT to be able to hear what is going on.
    Life is Good!
    Hammocks * Scouts * Kites
    用心棒

Hammock
    LeanGreen/BigRed/DIY
    Tarp
    CatCut Hex/GG12
    Insulation
    Fur I grow myself
    Suspension
    Of Disbelief
    Images
    My wife swears that I can sleep through anything. Given what I've apparently missed while asleep I'm inclined to believe her.

Many years ago I woke up one morning to find a tree across the driveway, apparently there was a bad storm with tornadoes. I didn't hear a thing.

As for snoring, anyone that has been to a group hang can tell you that many a hanger is also a snorer. Just spread out a bit more and if you know you snore bad, setup on the outskirts.
    *Heaven best have trees, because I plan to lounge for eternity.

Good judgement is the result of experience and experience the result of bad judgement. - Mark Twain

Trail name: Radar

2014 Smoked Butt Hang Planning Thread | Sign up Sheet

Hammock
    WBBB, DIY tablecloth, HammockBliss
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Hammockgear, KAQ
    Suspension
    Arrowhead whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by breyman View Post
    +1 on earplugs. They never leave my kit - I store them with my First Aid supplies. I'm a light sleeper and often camp with scouts or my family, so I'm sensitive to someone having an issue and needing help. I have to use the earplugs if another adult is nearby snoring, though, or there's no way I'd get any sleep.
    Ditto. Am very sensitive to possible Scout issues on outings. My experience is that the first night of a weekend outing is especially hard to catch quality sleep. Ear plugs help. Noise blocking headphones are an OK alternative (although the wires can be problematic).

Interesting observation...now that I'm using a hammock more, I'm sleeping on my back (am normally a stomach sleeper). Back sleeping for me results in more snoring BY me.

Bruce

Hammock
    Hennessy Exped Asym
    Tarp
    Hennessy hex fly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Wingardium Leviosa
    I have a set of ear plugs in my hammock in the little net bag on the ridge line. They are still in the little plastic bag they came in. Usually I listen to my iPod at night to relax, and then put it away when I'm really sleepy. Melatonin helps take the edge off, but I've found what really works is being comfortable. Those normal nighttime rituals that, at home, tell the body it's time to sleep: brushing teeth, that last pee, changing into night clothes... Sleeping in underwear or a clean sleep shirt makes it a heck of a lot easier for me to sleep than just jumping in the hammock in my shorts and stinky T shirt.
    For more info, read:

My personal blog