Claytor
    Tarp
    MacCat delux Spinn
    Insulation
    CCF and Quilts
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    Images
    Never had an issue with abrasion and silnylon. In fact, sil's slipperiness seems to help minimize the friction which would cause abrasion. I have put both my sil and spinn gear through some rough conditions without a rip, tear or scrape. I can't say the same for the more "rugged" urethane coated tarps. Sometimes heavier fabrics aren't as bombproof as they seem. The other issue with the heavier coated fabrics is the reality of the coatings to wear off over time. It was these coated fabrics which started the idea of not folding tarps/tents to avoid creasing them and wearing out the coatings. Sil, Spinn and other non-coated fabrics don't have this issue (yet the "don't fold it" mantra is still perpetuated). Anyway, as we have all said, great you love your tarp but...

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by surreal_trip View Post
    ...... Can anyone attest to the abrasion resistance to silnylon compared to the heavier hh hex? If I do ever move up to silnylon I would want to know it could handle any clawed woodland creatures falling on it. Long story.................
    Quote Originally Posted by DuctTape View Post
    Never had an issue with abrasion and silnylon. In fact, sil's slipperiness seems to help minimize the friction which would cause abrasion. I have put both my sil and spinn gear through some rough conditions without a rip, tear or scrape. I can't say the same for the more "rugged" urethane coated tarps. Sometimes heavier fabrics aren't as bombproof as they seem. The other issue with the heavier coated fabrics is the reality of the coatings to wear off over time. It was these coated fabrics which started the idea of not folding tarps/tents to avoid creasing them and wearing out the coatings. Sil, Spinn and other non-coated fabrics don't have this issue (yet the "don't fold it" mantra is still perpetuated). Anyway, as we have all said, great you love your tarp but...
    I can't prove anything, but so far so good. I think it's stretchiness actually helps it. Don't some folks make packs out of sil? And I have lot's of sil stuff sacks, some even compression, and those would take a worse beating day in day out than my tarps, with no failures yet.

My sil tarps are up to 6 years old now, with no problems. But I have had a lot of the old style stuff that seems to go bad on me after spending most of every year stored as dry as I could get it. Seems like the coating starts coming off, or it starts stinking believe it or not. And I am fanatical about storing dry, but that has blindsided me a few times. Not so with the sil, not so far.

And my bud's tarp was pierced by a snow loaded branch that snapped, a tarp made of what ever tarps were made of back in 1985. So it's not like the others are made of Kevlar or something.

So the other stuff appears tougher to me, but my experience has been that sil is surprisingly tough.

Hammock
    Dangerbird, (custom) thanks Papa
    Tarp
    10x10 DIY
    Insulation
    DIY insultex.
    Suspension
    Woopie, UCR
    I started with a Dana Design "Garuda" foot print, (8x8). Set as a diamond it kept me dry threw several storms. Then I made a 10x10 from lighter material. It's lighter, larger and packs about the same size. It's my favorite. Then I bought a Noah 12 on sale for a winter tarp. It's so big I plan to use it to hide the hammock when car camping in parks that don't allow hammocks. I'll just pitch it like a tent.

When you make your own it might just become your favorite.

Hammock
    HH, ENO, GT, soon-BIAS, Dream
    Tarp
    70D Hex more soon!
    Insulation
    Nest/sniveller
    Suspension
    Whoopieslings.com
    Haha I know some of you have figured it out but let me break the cycle. I'm glad I can get you guys all talking. While I like my tarp and it's worked very well, I will want to upgrade but without access to seeing the tarps in use its tough. I figured ruffling a few feathers would get a good response, and it has! I'm glad to hear you all stand for silnylon. I haven't had a chance to see it in use but ill probably be upgrading to it soon. Not because I have to... But because I'm a filthy filthy equipment addict! Keeps it rolling...

What's your favorite tarp and why?

I've heard from some of you but what do the rest of you have rolling in your back country hike kits?

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by surreal_trip View Post
    I figured ruffling a few feathers would get a good response, and it has!
    There's no need to ruffle any feathers around here to get folks to talk about their gear, so don't even bother with that kind of thing... we'll talk no matter what.

I've got a silnylon Hennessy hex tarp, a BlackCat hex, a cuben MacCat, a custom OES tarp (huge). And I also have two Hennessy 70d tarps like yours. I tend to carry the silnylon Hennessy tarp most often (coverage, as you say). The only problem I had with it was that the taped seam seal came off and the tarp leaked. I resealed it with silicone.

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

Hammock
    Claytor
    Tarp
    MacCat delux Spinn
    Insulation
    CCF and Quilts
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    Images
    To see what we all use look to the left.

<--------here

Hammock
    HH, ENO, GT, soon-BIAS, Dream
    Tarp
    70D Hex more soon!
    Insulation
    Nest/sniveller
    Suspension
    Whoopieslings.com
    Quote Originally Posted by DuctTape View Post
    To see what we all use look to the left.

<--------here
    But that's no fun. I'd rather know why you like it and what made it your go to equipment. That way I can get a better idea if your needs and wants resemble my own. Just seeing what it is doesn't tell me any of that.

Hammock
    Claytor
    Tarp
    MacCat delux Spinn
    Insulation
    CCF and Quilts
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    Images
    May I suggest that your question be prefaced with what your needs and wants are, and then ask for suggestions. Not sure if your "strategy" in this thread is the most efficient, friendly, or courteous. I suppose if your goal was to have fun, then you may have succeeded. But if your goal was to learn, then I might suggest you try a different strategy.

Hammock
    WBBB RR DBL 1.1 / DIY Multicam SL
    Tarp
    Superfly/HG CF
    Insulation
    Downy Goodness
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Dutch Clip
    I picked the superfly when I decided I needed a bigger tarp. I started by using the HH A- sym minimal tarp. So I wanted a bigger tarp. Looking at the options it had the doors which REALLY help cutting out the wind. It is sil- nylon which helped cut down the weight for size. 22oz. I have had no problems with abrasions, rips, tears or any problems with defects in the material. I have two HH hex tarps for my sons. I find that they are much bigger when packed down and weigh a quite a bit more then the Superfly. With less full coverage over the tarps.
    I am not sure what your concern is with it having to be "BOMB-PROOF" if you pick your locations correctly no matter which tarp you use. you should not have any problems from low lying branches or debris falling. Hope this helps.
    Husband, Father, and Friend.
    Scout Master and Cub Master for Troop/Pack 705 of
    Chesterfield

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis &amp; Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    My pick would be the Superfly. Mostly because it shelters me from trolls.
    Trust nobody!

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast