Thread: wet weather

wet weather

i have probably over looked it but how do you deal with the hammock in the rain. i havent really taken the hammock out that much in the rain because after it has been raining a while my hammock starts getting wet. i have noticed that it is from the rain running down the rigging to the hammock itself. i am most likly doing something wrong but like i said i want to start taking the hammock a lot more and need to know how to fix this problem. any advise?

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Easy question - you just practice! Here are a couple tricks I use.

I pack my tarp by itself, usually in the outer mesh pocket on my backpack. That way I can set up the tarp w/o opening my pack and exposing all my gear. Tie the tarp directly to the trees rather than using the HH style. Now you have a dry place to open your pack so nothing gets wet.

Set up the hammock...you have to jump out in the rain quick enough to get the supports attached to the trees, but this isn't much. I use a Blackbishop sack, but snakeskins work just as well to keep your hammock from getting wet while you do this. Biners on the huggers or webbing make this very quick as well.

Water can run down the cord or straps if it's raining hard enough. Use drip strings on the hammock support. This is just an absorbent string that will divert the water to the ground, since it's going for the lowest point. Drip strings should be under your tarp, a few inches from the end of the hammock...just far enough that it'll keep the water off your hammock and insulation. You can also use socks, bandana, etc...these will work better on webbing anyway. And for webbing, put a single twist between the tree and hammock so the webbing can't form an aquaduct to your hammock.
    Pics of drip strings here:
    http://www.tothewoods.net/HammockCampingDry.html

Lastly, some kind of isolator will also keep the water from running from the cord/webbing to the hammock. Ring buckles, cinch buckles, etc. You probably won't need drip strings if you have an isolator.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Images
    I had the same problem for quite some time when I switched over to straps on my hammock. I have tried all types of drip devices and while some worked pretty well they also consisted of extra parts that I had to keep up with. I finally came up with a design that is ABSOLUTELY drip proof. If you are using straps, and are willing and able to do some simple sewing, I can explain how to do it. It will stop the flow from a garden hose down the webbing. This simple addition to my hammock has greatly increased the confidence I have in my rig during severe weather.
    Brian
    ...and there came to be a day, all too soon, that I became aware that I could travel no more on my long journey. Though I did not arrive where I had planned, I believe that here is exactly where I am supposed to be...

that is something i have to hear about.

Images
    I'll whip up a little "how to" tomorrow. I wish I were hanging on Springer Mt. but since I'm not, I might as well sew some straps.
    Brian
    ...and there came to be a day, all too soon, that I became aware that I could travel no more on my long journey. Though I did not arrive where I had planned, I believe that here is exactly where I am supposed to be...

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by T-BACK View Post
    I'll whip up a little "how to" tomorrow. I wish I were hanging on Springer Mt. but since I'm not, I might as well sew some straps.
    I thought I noticed your spirit there in one of the breezes... and there was a brat (as in hot dog) that mysteriously disapeared.
    Last edited by Youngblood; 01-02-2009 at 09:26.
    Youngblood AT2000

Hammock
    Claytor
    Tarp
    MacCat delux Spinn
    Insulation
    CCF and Quilts
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by irrationalsolutions View Post
    that is something i have to hear about.
    me too.........

Drip solutions:
    For straps, mash some silicone sealant into a 6 inch section of the webbing that will be protected by the tarp. When water wicking down the webbing hits the sealant, it will drip off. To make sure it doesn't gutter down the sealed section and soak you anyway, wrap a narrow strip of pack-towel or really anything around the webbing on the sealed section then pin or stitch it in place (stitching works better).

Images
    I was there in spirit Youngblood, I just wish I could have tasted that brat! Sorry, I didn't forget about the how to, my hands just haven't been coordinated enough to sew the past few days. I'll try again tomorrow.
    Brian

• + New Posts