Warbonnet Blackbird, DL 1.1
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

Pipe stand done... a few finishing questions

Well, I got my pipe stand made and slept indoors for the first time. I'm so excited to have a way to hang in my backyard now too!

For those who have made a pipe stand, I have a couple questions...

Is there any kind of lubricant I should use on the threads so they don't lock up? I'm hoping to keep this stand somewhat portable. It's made with galvanized pipe if that helps.

Also, I'm thinking of making some straps just for suspending the hammock from the stand. I would leave them attached to the poles probably. I'd like to make something that's the exact length that I need so I don't have to adjust the hammock every time I hang it from the stand. My question is... how should I attach the straps from the stand to the hammock? Right now my hammock has whoopies on it that I attach to tree straps. Is there a way to make an easy attachment loop or something off the end of the hammock? I just can't picture how I would attach it with the whoopies on there. Any ideas?

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    DIY (Olive Oyl)
    Insulation
    [allergic to down]
    Images
    Congrats!
    Your whoopie slings are larks headed directly to the hammock? Add a continuous loop onto the hammock as well, and use it to attach to the straps when on the stand (with a biner).

Any pix?

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon, DIY
    Tarp
    Dutchware Hex, DIY
    Insulation
    HG, DIY
    Suspension
    Straps, Beetles
    Images
    Good for you! I Mase two pipe stands. I keep one in my basement, and one in the back yard. In fact, I'm sleeping in the basement in my hammock tonight.
    Use Never Sieze, also sold as Never Seez o the threads. Be careful...if you get a dab on you, you'll get it all over.

For the straps, I bought some of Dutch's daisy chain webbing. I just wrap it a couple times then through one of the openings. Then I simply use carabiners and clip each of the hammocks continuous loops to daisy chain, and the straps always stay on the pipe stand. Once you get the hammock hung they way you like it, just mark the correct opening with a small clip, piece of yarn, or whatever.
    image.jpg

Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Ok, continuous loops sound good. It sounds like I can just larks-head them on the end over the attached woopies. I'll try that out as soon as I get some stuff to make some. I'll try to get a pic up of the stand too.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Ok, here's a pic of the stand and of the end of the hammock where I'll need to attach a continuous loop or something. Please disregard the horrendously messy basement. :P

I was glad it was a project I could make on my own without any tools so I wouldn't have to bother my husband with helping me on it. I have to say though, putting up the stand proved to be much harder than I anticipated! I don't know that I could have done it without help. I need to figure out a good system for assembling it and disassembling it on my own. I'll be using it for an outdoor event soon in February so I hope it isn't hard to take apart in sub-freezing temps!

IMG_8406.jpgIMG_8407.jpg

Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I did have a bit of a problem with the tree strap slipping. On another thread it was suggested that you could put a pipe coupling and nipple at the top of each supporting pole. I tried that and couldn't get the right hang angle with it up that high so I took them off. I ended up just putting some duct tape right below where the strap sat and that has worked fine.

Hammock
    Mackinac Bridge
    Tarp
    DCF
    Insulation
    Grey Goose Down
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mountainlaura View Post
    Is there any kind of lubricant I should use on the threads so they don't lock up? I'm hoping to keep this stand somewhat portable. It's made with galvanized pipe if that helps.
    I put WD40 on my threads to make it easier to disassemble but it seems that sleeping in the stand torques all the connections and I still need to use a pipe wrench to disassemble.

I love my pipe stand but it is an ugly beast. If you come up with an easy way to beautify it please pass it along.
    Last edited by Trail Runner; 01-31-2018 at 05:42.
    "Behold, as a wild a** of the desert, go I forth to my work." -- Guerney Halleck

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    I drilled a number of holes in the uprights, and use 60p nails to keep the whoopies from sliding down. The whoopies pass around the uprights and are clipped together in the middle with a biner.

A nice floral arrangement from Hobby Lobby should make it pretty.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    WBRR/WBBBXLC
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst/WBMJ
    Insulation
    Mamba/Lynx/Wooki
    Hey Mountainlaura - regarding your question about attaching your hammock to the pipe stand, take a look at the stand I made from 1-1/2" galvanized pipe (i.e. the "Iron Man Stand"). I found some fittings (i.e. "Kee-Clamps") that you can attach to the vertical pipes that allow for easy attachment of your straps. Once they are mounted on the pipe, you can adjust their position up and down via the heavy duty hex set screw integrated into the side of the fitting. They work great - with the set screw tightened there is zero danger of slipping. If you get two for each pole, you can attach your hammock to one pair and your tarp to the other pair, which allows for independent positioning of each. Part numbers for these fittings can be found in the materials list. You can also find similar fittings at Lowe's or Home Depot.

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ght=iron+stand
    Last edited by millem23; 01-31-2018 at 17:09.

Hammock
    WB RR, DIY Bridge (Dutch Kit)
    Tarp
    Kammok Glider
    Insulation
    DIY TQ, DIY BQ
    Suspension
    Whoopsie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Trail Runner View Post
    I love my pipe stand but it is an ugly beast. If you come up with an easy way to beautify it please pass it along.
    Painting galvanized pipe is slightly difficult because not all paints will adhere to it. I can pass on some info if you decide to go that route. Some folks have wrapped camo duct tape around it. They even make it colored with glitter.

https://www.homedepot.com/s/colored%...%20tape?NCNI-5

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast