Hammock
    GT ultralight, modified
    Tarp
    DIY hex
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings

Question My gear and a question

I am new to the forum, although I have lurked for a few weeks.

I currently use a GT ultralight. I used it stock for a while, but decided to make some changes.

I added an integrated bugnet, and a piece of ripstop at each end to cap the top and make its easier to sew the bugnet (my sewing skills are crap). I sewed the ends closed about 4 inches, and on one end I added a second layer to the extra ripstop on top. I attached the bugnet at this end. When I don't want to use it, it rolls up into this pocket, which snaps closed. It's similar to the Clark. I also added a structural ridge line, because I like more sag than usual. I then cut off the side stuff sack and converted it to a bishop bag. I also have a set of snakeskins that are just an Axe body wash scrubber that I took apart.

I also put together a 10x10 hex tarp out of homemade sil. It's the second time I've made DIY sil, and I've had no issues yet.

My question -

I picked up a 0degree mummy bag at an open-box store for $14. It is 8.5 long and would make a great peapod, but I'm not sure how to go about cutting/sewing the opening in the foot box. This bag only unzips 3/4 down, so there is a large tube that Makes it so I can't get to the base with my thread injector. And I can't hand sew to save my life. Is there a new-sew way to create the slit in the base to peapod this? And a channel for the shoc cord?

Thanks for any assistance! I love this forum
    Last edited by Left2phate; 12-31-2012 at 20:32. Reason: Typo

Hammock
    DIY 12' GE Tablecloth
    Tarp
    DIY 10x12 Silnylon
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I'm not trying to oversimplify this, but you really need to find a friend who sews. What you could use is a round cutout in the bottom of the footbox large enough to easily get the end of you hammock through with a shock cord channel to cinch it down around the hammock end. Sew the circle first, cut out the shell and insulation to within 1/4" of the interior of the circle, then stitch in a length of doubled over grosgrain ribbon to create the cord channel.

Good luck.

SE
    Last edited by SouthernExposure; 01-01-2013 at 14:15.

Hammock
    GT ultralight, modified
    Tarp
    DIY hex
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    I was afraid of that. I do ok with a machine, but anything I hand sew tends to fall apart. Thanks for the advice!

• + New Posts