View Poll Results: Do new designs in cold weather hammocks interest you?

Voters
73. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes!

61 83.56%
  • No!

5 6.85%
  • I never do winter hammock camping.

1 1.37%
  • I already have a hammock especially designed for extreme cold camping.

2 2.74%
  • Looking for more comfortable options in a cold weather hammock.

15 20.55%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Hammock
    http://camphammocks.com
    Tarp
    Peaked Fly
    Insulation
    PAK-IT-LITE System
    Suspension
    Toggled Suspension
    Images

New Direction for PAK-IT-LITE Hammocks

All new site and designs in four and three season camp hammocks.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    8ft 6" long seems a bit short. How wide is the hammock ?
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    SwithcBack
    Tarp
    Edge or TrailStar
    Insulation
    quilts and pads
    Suspension
    Adj. Webbing
    Images

Probably great

I might test this system, after I have seen the Alpine hammock, which should be ready in a couple of months.

One thing I did wonder was: There are no tree savers in the suspension system. Ok, the rope is 1/4, but I think even Mr Hennessy sells tree savers with his 5 mm aka 1/4 inch suspension rope.

I have been looking for a bomb proof (easy to use for a non hammocker) complete system for my old father to use as a resting place during his boat trips and as a cottage hammock for regular hanging around. This could be it.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Peaked Fly
    Insulation
    PAK-IT-LITE System
    Suspension
    Toggled Suspension
    Images
    Voivalin,

No tree savers as of now. BUT, I have to ask, how are you currently tying your lines that you are damaging the tree? Tree's and tree bark are very resilient. A rope wrapped around a tree will not do any long term damage to the bark or the tree itself...well, unless you are trying to hang your car or an elephant.
    My system works on trees that are 10 to 13 feet apart. Since there is very little play in the rope, the knot system I use will not slide down the tree damaging to bark. FYI - When you hang any hammock from trees that are 15 to 20"+ apart, you will have a lot of play and sag and depending on your knot system, more room for the line to loosen and slide down the tree. Yet, a sliding rope on the bark of the tree will not cause any long term damage. Believe me, I've been climbing trees all my life and haven't killed one yet.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by theseakayaker View Post
    Voivalin,

No tree savers as of now. BUT, I have to ask, how are you currently tying your lines that you are damaging the tree? Tree's and tree bark are very resilient. A rope wrapped around a tree will not do any long term damage to the bark or the tree itself...well, unless you are trying to hang your car or an elephant.
    My system works on trees that are 10 to 13 feet apart. Since there is very little play in the rope, the knot system I use will not slide down the tree damaging to bark. FYI - When you hang any hammock from trees that are 15 to 20"+ apart, you will have a lot of play and sag and depending on your knot system, more room for the line to loosen and slide down the tree. Yet, a sliding rope on the bark of the tree will not cause any long term damage. Believe me, I've been climbing trees all my life and haven't killed one yet.
    It isn't so much whether a line is damaging to a particular tree; it's whether it is perceived as such. A good example is that--up until the pilot program that started this year--it was illegal to tie anything to a plant in a state park here in Florida. Mostly due to idiotic folks who would do stuff like trying to remove an engine block with a pulley rigged over a branch, but also due to folks tying things to trees improperly.

Also, note that certain types of trees have thinner (more easily damaged) bark than others. I am not an arborist--I couldn't tell you, by sight, which species of trees are more likely than others to be harmed by high pressure in a small area--and I'd wager that the majority of hangers aren't, either. So, for me (and for the majority of us), tree straps are a necessary evil if we wish to continue hanging on public land.

It's just that I, at least, don't want to pay the price of not being able to hang on public land because someone gave a ranger the wrong idea. So, I use tree straps to avoid possible mistakes leading to the consequence of fewer hang spots. That's all.
    "Just prepare what you can and enjoy the rest."
    --Floridahanger

Hammock
    Tarp
    Peaked Fly
    Insulation
    PAK-IT-LITE System
    Suspension
    Toggled Suspension
    Images
    Also, note that certain types of trees have thinner (more easily damaged) bark than others. I am not an arborist--I couldn't tell you, by sight, which species of trees are more likely than others to be harmed by high pressure in a small area--and I'd wager that the majority of hangers aren't, either. So, for me (and for the majority of us), tree straps are a necessary evil if we wish to continue hanging on public land.
    I have the perfect person to ask about this. He was a plant biologist with UGA, worked for the Forrest Service and won the Wallenberg Award for his work with trees. If anyone knows the answer to what damage could be done, he would. I think you are right though, it's what is "perceived as such". If certain WMA's or National Parks require padding on lines to protect the trees, these are issues one must work with.

Or, you can do what I do. I just use my pants and shirt under the lines as padding. It's a great excuse to run naked through the woods! "What do you mean indecent exposure Mr. Park Ranger sir, I was just trying to protect the tree!"

Hammock
    Tarp
    Peaked Fly
    Insulation
    PAK-IT-LITE System
    Suspension
    Toggled Suspension
    Images
    Gunner,

What makes these hammocks different is the way the ends are cut, the shape of the hammock body itself and the manner in which the hammock hangs. The cut of the fabric creates "pockets" at the head and foot of the hammock. These "pockets" allow the user to lay flat. If you notice the photos I posted, you can see this feature if you look at the bottom of each hammock. The user lays on a diagonal, as you should do in any hammock, and with the added material of each pocket the over all hammock length can now be shorter and still have plenty of room.
    The bed liner is 80 inches from head to toe. I am 6'2" @ 235lbs and have plenty of room.
    I don't know many people who are 8 feet tall and I never see many 7+ foot basket ball players out on the trail or while sea kayaking. If I do and they need a hammock, I will design one to accommodate their needs.
    Here is a video that shows the inside of one of the hammocks.

Ever consider a discount for Hammock Forum members to help spread the word?

...well, somebody had to say it.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Peaked Fly
    Insulation
    PAK-IT-LITE System
    Suspension
    Toggled Suspension
    Images
    Ever consider a discount for Hammock Forum members to help spread the word?
    Sure. I also have a few used demo hammocks I will be selling off soon.

Quote Originally Posted by theseakayaker View Post
    Sure. I also have a few used demo hammocks I will be selling off soon.
    Please add me to your mailing list for a shot at a demo.

Thanks

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast