12' diy hammock
    Tarp
    superfly
    Insulation
    warmth
    Suspension
    cinch buckle

my first night out with all my new gear in 20 degree weather

between thanksgiving and christmas i racked up on some new gear. i got a long New River Under Quilt (i was wrong about the incubator, its what i really wanted and the name stuck with me) and a superfly tarp and a bunch of amsteel and zingit to tie it all together. i already had a 20 degree long sleeping bag.

for new years i went up to kentucky to help my friend's family move. we planned to camp out for a few nights on their land. things got busy in the move and we only had 1 night to camp but we made the most of it. we hiked out across the field, crossed a frigid stream, and went deep into the woods to get to a good spot to set up camp. we chose this path so it wouldn't be easy to run back to the house if it got too cold. listening to the sound of a stream while sleeping sure beats the sound of a highway at my local camping spot.

http://imgur.com/vlnnJ
    http://imgur.com/xQofL

it was the first time i had even unpacked the tarp, but that thing is well made and turned out to be easy to set up. my only issue was that while setting it up i forgot how to properly tie a knot and my hands were cold. it made me understand the value of a dutch hook (or whatever its called). but i just need more practice.

you can see my friend's setup in the background. he was using my extra hammock gear and the tarp from his tent. no rain in the forecast, but gotta block the wind. for warmth he used his sleeping bag and thermarest pad, he is mainly a tent camper but is coming to the hanging side too.

http://imgur.com/Cvz0P

i was using the yukon hammock with the incubator underquilt. its a bit longer than the eno double nest so it fits me a bit better at 6'4". my friend was using the eno.

we both had a good night sleep and stayed warm throughout the night.

i also went down to the rei store in nashville tn, to look at backpacks. those guys are so helpful and nice. they helped me for over an hour trying on different many backpacks trying to find the right fit for my tall slender frame. i ended up getting a larger and more expencive backpack than i wanted but walked out totally happy with my purchases. i had to give a good word for them. i wish we had an rei in mississippi.

this forum has helped me so much with my setup, so i wanted to say thanks to everyone here. i'm totally hooked and looking forward to my next outing.

EDIT: i also had a dream that night that i wanted to share:
    so i'm in the back seat of a car. i'm not sure who was driving and no one was in the passenger seat. we are stopped somewhere and all the sudden david blaine comes to the passenger window and starts scratching around the border of the window. i pick up an ice pick from the floor and tell him if he comes in the car i am going to stab him. well he continues picking at the window then all the sudden POOF he is in the front seat of the car without opening the door. so i stab him in the neck with the ice pick. after that he says "ok now watch this trick" and picks up an unopened can of coke. he puts the bottom of it on my chest over my heart and opens the can of coke and blasts a hole through my chest. then i wake up and had to pee really bad.
    Last edited by sploiz; 01-03-2013 at 13:11. Reason: took out the **** for something better and added more info

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx/Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Nice report! Getting and trying out new gear is always fun, as is successfully defeating the cold. Great approach, too, on the backpack. Trying stuff on in person is the most important thing to do.

Knots in the cold are TERRIBLE. Lots of good hardware-assisted setups out there. Dehoja (writer of The Ultimate Hang) outlines a number of possibilities here:
    http://theultimatehang.com/category/howto/rig-a-tarp/
    Brian
    Denver, CO
    Father. Husband. Scoutmaster.

Hammock
    Den Mother DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly/Noah's 12
    Insulation
    leighlo UQ-DIY TQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Nice report. Private land in KY, now that sounds like a great place to hang. Have fun with those knots.

Hammock
    12' diy hammock
    Tarp
    superfly
    Insulation
    warmth
    Suspension
    cinch buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by breyman View Post
    Nice report! Getting and trying out new gear is always fun, as is successfully defeating the cold. Great approach, too, on the backpack. Trying stuff on in person is the most important thing to do.

Knots in the cold are TERRIBLE. Lots of good hardware-assisted setups out there. Dehoja (writer of The Ultimate Hang) outlines a number of possibilities here:
    http://theultimatehang.com/category/howto/rig-a-tarp/
    i watched his videos and the videos from warbonnet many times before i left. but when i got out there i just blanked on how to do it. with the cold hands i just tied a messed up taut line hitch to get it done.

i need to practice the knots in the comfort of my home before heading out again.

Hammock
    WWM or tablecloth
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    shamu 40*
    Suspension
    UCR whoopie
    Images
    I redid my tarp set up recently... Dutch hook on one end that wraps around tree and back to a small continuous loop that's been larksheaded to the tarp... The other end is a nite eyes figure 9... Works well... Caveman helped me do it all, I changed it out on the trail this weekend... No knots to worry about, now I just need something similar on my sock, the knots on that almost just got cut off I was so cold Sunday morning...
    Live, Laugh, Love, if that doesn't work. Load, Aim and Fire, repeat as necessary...

Buy, Try, Learn, Repeat

Hammock
    12' diy hammock
    Tarp
    superfly
    Insulation
    warmth
    Suspension
    cinch buckle
    my bad guys. i don't have the incubator, i have the new river from arrowhead equipment. i really wanted the incubator (but it was too expencive) and i guess the name just stuck with me. the new river is rated to about 30 degrees and still kept me nice and warm down into the 20's so i just want to make sure my thanks go out to the proper place.
    Last edited by sploiz; 01-03-2013 at 12:50.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1SL/UKHamm
    Tarp
    HG Cuben 4S/CamoSF
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WhoopieDutchness
    Nice report, not sure about that dream though, you should speak to somebody about that one day

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    The dream part had me laughing. Sounds quite vivid.

• + New Posts