Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Best hammock for indoors?

Hi everyone,

I'm looking to use a hammock as a permanent bed.

Currently I've ordered a Vivere Parachute Double (10.5' x 6.5'), which I managed for $25 with free shipping.

I figured this would be a pretty good way to test out sleeping in a hammock.

If I enjoy sleeping in a hammock, what would you suggest as the best brand / model for that purpose?

In other words, I don't need a tarp, bug net, or much line/rope/webbing. I'm not concerned about weight -- it's all about comfort!

I would prefer a hammock with some kind of pocket, so that I can store my cellphone and perhaps headphones.

I am 6ft, ~190lbs. I have about 10.75' to hang (from wall to wall, not sure whats required for ceiling)

Finally, i am a very warm sleeper (often sweat), so I'm hoping to find a material which is quite breathable.

Thanks for the help everyone!

Hammock
    WBBB double layer
    Tarp
    Noah Kelty 12
    Insulation
    Camping Pad (2)
    Suspension
    Webbing
    @finitesm - I think these are all great questions and if you have a chance, check out the archives - there's a ton of info on reviews and what not

What I was wondering is how you were planning on hanging it :: as in the method? Studs? Mounting Hardware? Hammock Stand?

Also, how tall are you? How much space do you have to hang the hammock itself?

This might help others to chime in...

Welcome to HF!

Hi copleycw,

I edited my post with a few more details, you must've just missed it.

I'm 6ft, about 190lbs, and the walls I'm thinking to hang from are 10.75' apart. I was planning on using some eye lag screws or bolts in the studs, but if someone with more experience thinks the ceiling is a better option, I can do that too.

I've been looking through the archives as best I can, but I only found one thread about indoor hanging, and the recommendation threads I've seen are often for camping.

Hammock
    Brazilian
    Lots of information on here about indoor hanging, including some videos. Personally I sleep in a Brazilian hammock and hang it from a stand to avoid drilling holes in the walls. I couldn't be happier, and have no intention of ever going back to a bed.

Hi Old Dog,

I might just be hopeless at searching, but could you point me to some topics?

Thanks!

Hammock
    1.4 oz Ripstop DIY
    Tarp
    5x7
    Insulation
    PLUQ, Mummy Bag
    Suspension
    10' straps
    If you rent, I think a stand would be safest, unless you get landlord approval... There are a few plans for stands that most of us could assemble in an afternoon or so... Here's a couple:

There appears to be just as many ways to hang indoors as outdoors:

Build a stand
    Eyebolts in studs - I think I like the idea of finding a corner or door frame where the studs should be doubled or reinforced in some way
    Eyebolts in a beam crossing multiple studs
    Eyebolts in ceiling joists (I'm leary of this method myself)

As far as hammocks go, do you intend to sleep in it alone, or with company? Pay attention to load capability and overall dimensions if you think you might have company...

I know nothing about the mayan or brazilian hammocks but there seems to be a lot of interest in them lately. Personally, I'm having a blast making my own DIY hammocks from various materials and testing the many ways to hang the suspension...

Good luck!
    Last edited by DBLOCK; 01-02-2013 at 15:41.

Quote Originally Posted by DBLOCK View Post
    If you rent, I think a stand would be safest, unless you get landlord approval... There are a few plans for stands that most of us could assemble in an afternoon or so... Here's a couple:

There appears to be just as many ways to hang indoors as outdoors:

Build a stand
    Eyebolts in studs - I think I like the idea of finding a corner or door frame where the studs should be doubled or reinforced in some way
    Eyebolts in a beam crossing multiple studs
    Eyebolts in ceiling joists (I'm leary of this method myself)

As far as hammocks go, do you intend to sleep in it alone, or with company? Pay attention to load capability and overall dimensions if you think you might have company...

I know nothing about the mayan or brazilian hammocks but there seems to be a lot of interest in them lately. Personally, I'm having a blast making my own DIY hammocks from various materials and testing the many ways to hang the suspension...

Good luck!
    Hey DBLOCK, thanks for the information!

I wasn't planning on getting (or making a stand), my family owns the house so using the walls or ceiling isn't a problem.

It seems most people are fine with using studs as long as they keep the angle near 30 degrees.

My biggest problem with the stands are 1) the price, and 2) they take up so much room.

Right now i have a large bean bag chair in my room taking up a lot of space.

Does anyone have experience using a hammock like a chair? Stable enough to use a laptop on a lap-desk?

If I can use the hammock as a chair, then I don't mind it taking up room. Or is there such a thing as a collapsible stand?

Hammock
    Brazilian
    Quote Originally Posted by finitesm View Post
    Hi Old Dog,

I might just be hopeless at searching, but could you point me to some topics?

Thanks!
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ammock+indoors

Thanks Old Dog, I had found that thread previously -- but it talks more about *how* to hang hammocks. I'm just interested in what the most comfortable hammock is, or what most people choose.

Hammock
    Brazilian
    You might consider a change of location if that’s possible, to gain space for a hammock. Maybe hang it diagonally (corner to corner) instead of wall to wall. I live alone, and what I do in my own house is nobody’s business but my own. My hammock and stand sits right in the middle of my living room.

For hammocks other than camping hammocks (Brazilian, Mayan, ect) try

http://hammockcompany.com/category/hammocks.do

or

http://www.hammocks.com/

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast