Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    ZPacks cuben
    Insulation
    WB, JRB, or HG
    Suspension
    Webbing
    No issues in Nevada or Washington. Gave a full blown equipment demo to a group of five hikers and one ranger at one of the backcountry camps on the Northern Loop Trail in Mount Rainier NP. The ranger stuck around for a while, let him kick back in the hammock for a minute...and all was well.

Jay

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    I've had no problems with Park Rangers, in fact there have been a few who have been very enthusiastic about my hammock and hammocking in general.

I have also not seen any inconsiderates who have spoiled it for me personally. I have seen nails put in trees, but they have usually been there for some time.

What really hurts the trees is when folks hang their propane (or other) lanterns from them. There are a lot of trees that have been damaged permanently in the parks I've been in from repeated burning from lanterns. I suspect that many nails were put there to hang lanterns from.

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

Hammock
    DIY Bridge db layer 1.1
    Tarp
    DIY 12'
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield
    Suspension
    amsteel/tree strap
    Quote Originally Posted by NWOHanger View Post
    I haven't tried our hammocks in Provincial Parks yet, but if we do go to one this year, I'll be calling ahead to see if they're allowed. I'm kind of thinking they won't be. Park staff aren't too educated up here.
    AFAIK there's no problem hanging in Ontario Provincial Parks. EGL group hangs use Algonquin regularly as do individual hangers who frequent the back country of the park.

Ontario is grouped in with 'All Others' in the 'Hangouts, Group Camping & Trip Planning' section. There's at least a couple other hangers from your area.

Hammock
    WBBB XL custom 1.1 single.
    Tarp
    Cuben HG w/doors
    Insulation
    Exped DownMat
    Suspension
    Becket hitch
    Images
    I pulled into a National Forest campground in the Washington Cascades a couple of years ago after seeing two beautifully spaced trees that would be great to test out some different hanging suspensions I had been experimenting with. When the ranger came to collect the fee I told him it was obvious I didn’t have any camping gear and that I would be leaving in less than an hour after testing my hammocks. He got REAL suspicious, closely inspected my hammock set-up and hung around the whole time like I was some kind of terrorist. I finally got tired of him hovering around and just left.

Hammock
    Hennessy Expedition
    I have hung all over Ontario (Including Provincial Parks). Never had an issue with an officer. In fact in Algonquin the guys who visited our site were pretty intrigued and even got in to check it out. I find Algonquin to be the most strict when it comes to rules and policies, so if it seems that they are OK, then that's a good sign for everyone else.

Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    DIY Hexish Tarp
    Insulation
    UGQ Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by The Old Boot View Post
    AFAIK there's no problem hanging in Ontario Provincial Parks. EGL group hangs use Algonquin regularly as do individual hangers who frequent the back country of the park.

Ontario is grouped in with 'All Others' in the 'Hangouts, Group Camping & Trip Planning' section. There's at least a couple other hangers from your area.
    Hey Old Boot. I've seen one other from up here so far. The MN group hangs an hour South of me on a regular basis, so I think I may end up hanging with them on a regular basis. The parks up here can be a bit oppressive at times. It's why we avoid them and stick to the backcountry.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 or BIAS WWM
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    Tewa, Speer, H.G.
    Suspension
    whoopie
    Images
    I have yet to have a problem. Hung in Virginia (Shenandoah and Prince William F.P.), N.J. Pine barrens, and all over the state of Maine.

However I do have to say this...after taking many inland fisheries and wildlife courses, and related sciences, we are the customer. Which means they are willing to cooperate and accommodate the customer. If they keep us from using our hammocks then they lose our money (fees) because we will go somewhere else.

So keep in mind if one (or many for that matter) was vocal enough, and polite, I bet they would be willing to have a rule change.
    "In seed time learn, in harvest teach, in winter enjoy." -D'Signore's, Tide Mill Farm, Edmunds, Maine.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Since becoming a hanger, I've been a permenant resident in two states; neither allow hammocks (as a byproduct of existing rules) in their State Parks. I've never been real good at following rules that I view without merit, so I've obviously broken said rules in both states...with some frequency I might add. Cannibal the civilly disobedient.

In both states, I've had good and bad interactions with officials. I've been (at least to my perception) the same level of friendly and compliant in all encounters, but the reactions vary none the less. I've had Rangers politely tell me they are against the rules and then follow-up with "but before you take it down, can I try it?" Then I've had Rangers threaten me (not really, but it felt a little this way) with bodily harm for simply thinking I would be able to put a hammock up in their park.

In the end, people are people. Some just suck at being nice people, others excel at it. Which one you'll meet in the woods, one never knows.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 Double, DIY Table Cloth
    Tarp
    Mamajamba, Noah 12
    Insulation
    AHE New River
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Not a problem with Rangers at all. But the one state park here has a Campground "HOST".

I prefer to call her the "Campground Nazi" she will always stop you on the road and tell you what you are doing wrong.

Last time I was there and leaving the campground had 2 campsites out of 20 something that were occupied, I pulled out of the spot I was in and was leaving, she came out of her camper and stopped me and said you are driving the wrong way. I looked around and said I didnt see any signs, and mentioned that, she stated "That's the way we do things here". I then showed my Fire Department ID and Badge, and my Radio, And told her that firefighters are entitled to go the wrong way, and left.

Yes I do respond to fires and incidents in that area. And my POV has the proper lighting to respond to incidents.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Reason I backpack. To get far away from authority. Never see them in the backwoods.
    Have been "called down" by Rangers before. Not for hammocking but for chasing raccoons out of our site after 10PM. I was a bit noisy protecting our food and child I reckon.
    Just doing their job I reckon.
    Shug......Raccoon Wrangler
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast