Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Hammock
    Hennessy Expedition
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

Problems with Rangers?

Has anyone had problems with Park Rangers (or anyone else for that matter) getting on their case about hanging? It seems like hammock camping leaves less of an impact than even ground tent camping, just curious as to what others have encountered.
    Never. And I do mean NEVER, rub your eye after eating Jalepeno Kettle Cooked Potato Chips.

My Hiking Blog

Hammock
    WWM or tablecloth
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    shamu 40*
    Suspension
    UCR whoopie
    Images
    I have had no issues... Although I have heard of a few grumpy park staff giving people issues...
    Live, Laugh, Love, if that doesn't work. Load, Aim and Fire, repeat as necessary...

Buy, Try, Learn, Repeat

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY winter
    Insulation
    ATP
    Suspension
    Whoopies & webbing
    I'm always a bit nervous when a ranger comes around when I'm hammocking, but I've never had a problem. Usually they just size it up and keep moving.

Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    DIY Hexish Tarp
    Insulation
    UGQ Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    I haven't tried our hammocks in Provincial Parks yet, but if we do go to one this year, I'll be calling ahead to see if they're allowed. I'm kind of thinking they won't be. Park staff aren't too educated up here.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge db layer 1.1
    Tarp
    DIY 12'
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield
    Suspension
    amsteel/tree strap
    Quote Originally Posted by NWOHanger View Post
    I haven't tried our hammocks in Provincial Parks yet, but if we do go to one this year, I'll be calling ahead to see if they're allowed. I'm kind of thinking they won't be. Park staff aren't too educated up here.
    AFAIK there's no problem hanging in Ontario Provincial Parks. EGL group hangs use Algonquin regularly as do individual hangers who frequent the back country of the park.

Ontario is grouped in with 'All Others' in the 'Hangouts, Group Camping & Trip Planning' section. There's at least a couple other hangers from your area.

Hammock
    WBBB XL custom 1.1 single.
    Tarp
    Cuben HG w/doors
    Insulation
    Exped DownMat
    Suspension
    Becket hitch
    Images
    I pulled into a National Forest campground in the Washington Cascades a couple of years ago after seeing two beautifully spaced trees that would be great to test out some different hanging suspensions I had been experimenting with. When the ranger came to collect the fee I told him it was obvious I didn’t have any camping gear and that I would be leaving in less than an hour after testing my hammocks. He got REAL suspicious, closely inspected my hammock set-up and hung around the whole time like I was some kind of terrorist. I finally got tired of him hovering around and just left.

Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    DIY Hexish Tarp
    Insulation
    UGQ Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by The Old Boot View Post
    AFAIK there's no problem hanging in Ontario Provincial Parks. EGL group hangs use Algonquin regularly as do individual hangers who frequent the back country of the park.

Ontario is grouped in with 'All Others' in the 'Hangouts, Group Camping & Trip Planning' section. There's at least a couple other hangers from your area.
    Hey Old Boot. I've seen one other from up here so far. The MN group hangs an hour South of me on a regular basis, so I think I may end up hanging with them on a regular basis. The parks up here can be a bit oppressive at times. It's why we avoid them and stick to the backcountry.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    WB Lynx, HG Burrow
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Bugs
    Images

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by NWOHanger View Post
    Hey Old Boot. I've seen one other from up here so far. The MN group hangs an hour South of me on a regular basis, so I think I may end up hanging with them on a regular basis. The parks up here can be a bit oppressive at times. It's why we avoid them and stick to the backcountry.
    I've hung in Algonquin, Killarney, and Silent Lake parks in Ontario with no problems. NWO Hanger, I've never hung in a park in NWO but why would you, really? So much awesome Crown Land.

Next summer I plan to circumnavigate Loch Lomond in the Nor'westers or possibly hike/bushwack/walk atv trails from Mink Mountain/Sturgeon Bay down to the border. i live in Toronto now, but visit my folks in TBay (Mink mtn) several times a year. I'd be happy to have a hiking buddy. I'll PM you a few weeks before I get there.
    my other dream is to do the Casque Isles trail between Terrace Bay and Rossport.

Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    DIY Hexish Tarp
    Insulation
    UGQ Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by sturgeon View Post
    Next summer I plan to circumnavigate Loch Lomond in the Nor'westers or possibly hike/bushwack/walk atv trails from Mink Mountain/Sturgeon Bay down to the border. i live in Toronto now, but visit my folks in TBay (Mink mtn) several times a year. I'd be happy to have a hiking buddy. I'll PM you a few weeks before I get there.
    my other dream is to do the Casque Isles trail between Terrace Bay and Rossport.
    Definitely get in touch when you're on your way up. My regular camping buddy is planning to move out East this year. As long as I can get the time off work I'm up for it.

Hammock
    WBBB DL 1.1 & 1.7
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    HG Incbtr-AH Potmc
    Suspension
    WB Adj Web
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by The Old Boot View Post

I agree. I've never had any issue in Quetico or Wababkimi. I intended to hang in WCPP last summer and was not warned against it. Unfortunately, that trip had to be called off...
    The road to success is always under construction.
    http://hikingillinois.blogspot.com/

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast