Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by breyman View Post
    Welcome from Denver! The benefit of being in Puerto Rico is that your insulation requirements are much milder, which will definitely help keep the costs down.
    1 thing to add. Remember, your in a Rainforest. Synthetic materials may be the best way to go and also some sort of climashield for under your hammock. Keeps the raindrops splashing up at bay.
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    ZPacks cuben
    Insulation
    WB, JRB, or HG
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Welcome to the forums from Utah. My in-laws live in Aguadilla and we come down every couple years. Been to El Yunque many times and hope to get the opportunity to hang on one of our trips down there.

Jay

Hammock
    WBB
    Tarp
    Zpacks CF, WBSF
    Insulation
    DIY TQ/ WBB 0 UQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide WS
    Images

El Yunque

Quote Originally Posted by mbirds View Post
    Hi all, I have been lurking on the sight for a while and finally created an account. While I often carry a Grand Trunk Ultralight hammock with amsteel whoopie slings for resting when backpacking or trips to the beach, I have not yet slept in a hammock.

Now that our backpacking will be in El Yunque rainforest, the hammock makes a lot of sense since it is hard to find places to pitch a tent. However, with a wife and two kids (5 and 8), hammocking may not work quite yet... there would be significant gear investment and I'm not sure the kids would adapt.

Anyway, greetings from the Island of Enchantment! I have backpacked in Virginia, West Virginia, Washington State, and this is definitely a very different experience.

Marcus
    The K-mart in Puerto Rico sells a zipped polar fleece sleeping bag for $11 which worked well for me the last El Yunque hang.
    Spots to hang in El Yuque are very limited due to the dense underbrush, but it's well worth the hike.

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ht=Puerto+Rico

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Hammockgear
    Insulation
    Te-Wa & JRB
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Welcome to the forum from California. Please post pictures.

I always love to see a hammock in its natural habitat - the rainforest

Hammock
    Hamaca Hangers Philippines Hammock
    Tarp
    HHP Hex
    Insulation
    HHP Underquilt
    Suspension
    Straps & Carabiner
    Images
    Welcome from Texas
    Lobat... but never empty...

mbirds

Thank you

Thanks for all the kind replies... and sorry for the delayed response!

I really appreciate all of the advice as well, I'm going to look into DIY hammocks and bug nets.

I made it out for a solo overnighter near the top... A grassy observation spot... I brought my tent because I had previously found this flat spot and wanted to get a feel for camping there before introducing more variables... At dinner the clouds enveloped me and the air was misty, like nothing I have experienced. Even in the tent with the fly zipped shut the air was misty.... duh, I was inside a cloud... Unfortunately it fried my Kindle even though it was technically dry! But otherwise it was great. It dips down to the 50's up there, so actually bugs weren't an issue.

El Yunque closes to vehicle traffic at 6:30PM so it was a pretty neat feeling to have it all to myself at night... backpacking there is not very popular. Crime is high in PR, but I feel like unlike car camping, backpacking here is very safe, since someone would have to hike 6 miles or so, and then find you. Not a fan of car camping anyway.

I have a couple of Coleman fleece bags and I agree they would be perfect, and they are light (but bulky). I used a 40 degree Big Agnes summer bag and it was fine as well.

Unfortunately due to the moisture I did not get any good photos.

There is a small outdoor gear store called Acampa, if you arrive here and need fuel or anything. It is the only place I have seen isobutane canisters, but Coleman Fuel and Denatured Alcohol is widely available. It is a nice store with very friendly staff, but it did make me miss REI. Acampa also arranges tours and had a lot of climbing gear.

Anyway, if anyone comes to the island look me up and I can give you some tips or meet up.

Marcus

Hammock
    WWM or tablecloth
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    shamu 40*
    Suspension
    UCR whoopie
    Images
    Welcome from south Texas... Going the diy route the gear investment monetarily would be pretty low...
    Live, Laugh, Love, if that doesn't work. Load, Aim and Fire, repeat as necessary...

Buy, Try, Learn, Repeat

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 single
    Tarp
    12 X 12 Guide Gear
    Insulation
    DIY synthetic UQ
    Suspension
    Adjustable webbing
    Greetings from Mort in WI. Welcome to HF!

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12