Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Eno Onelink Doublenest vs. HH Explorer Deluxe

I'm looking at hammock systems that come with everything. I'd like your expert opinions.

Hammock
    DIY 1.1oz Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Sil Hex Tarp
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    If I were an expert I might give my expert opinion, but I'm not so I'll just give you my opinion.

I haven't seen any "kits" so to speak that you can buy with everything in the system. I think because everyone kind of wants something different, for different purposes and possibly to be a little different. There are several hammock companies around though that sell everything it takes to complete the system, you just may have to make a few decisions as to what you want.

If your not sure what all you need to hang, here is what I have gathered so far that you need.
    -hammock
    -suspension system which is a way to tie to the tree and a way to attack hammock to the ties around the tree. (these probably can be done as one but generally I think most people have 2 seperate pieces here like "tree straps" and "whoopie slings"
    -tarp with it's own "suspension" system that migh consist of but is not limited to: ridgeline and guy lines (lines from tarp to stakes)

So you can find a vendor and select one of each part and you should have yourself a decent system. I could be missing something or telling you something wrong due to the fact that I am fairly new to the hammock scene but I figured I spend a little time and give you my opinion, hopefully I didn't just waste both of our time.....
    Trip Smith on Youtube - Used to be SailingandSuch
    https://www.youtube.com/tripsmith

Hammock
    DH Darien
    Tarp
    WB Edge/Superfly
    Insulation
    Burrow, Phoenix
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by fleshlight View Post
    I'm looking at hammock systems that come with everything. I'd like your expert opinions.
    Are you car camping? Backpacking? Looking to do it on a budget? What're you doing for bottom insulation? The more info you give us, the better.
    The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog.

Quote Originally Posted by Latitude918 View Post
    Are you car camping? Backpacking? Looking to do it on a budget? What're you doing for bottom insulation? The more info you give us, the better.
    I do some car camping but mostly kayak camping (sleeping along rivers). I try to leave no trace by carrying a stove system and not using camp fires; eating mountain house style food etc. I haven't used anything for bottom insulation yet. I have a thermarest from tent camping.

I currently have a grand trunk ultralight travel hammock. I am considering the system hammocks because when I add up the costs of a bugnet and tarp, I might as well just get the system.

Hammock
    DIY - Canoe Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    DIY UCRs
    Images
    Understand that you're trying to keep the cost down and Hennessy Hammocks are decent hammocks but I would look around alittle bit. If I had to do it all over again I would have saved a few more dollars and got myself a hammock from Dream-Hammock or a Warbonnet Hammock. My first hammock was a HH Explorer Deluxe and it has done ok on quite a few trips but once I started using larger hammocks, I realized how much more comfortable they are. Do yourself a favor and spend a few more bucks on something you will enjoy more.

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    If these are your only choices, I'd recommend the Hennessy. Otherwise, the advice to shop around is good.

As a general rule, ENO is near the low end of the hammock quality scale (although there are many more that fall even lower), while Hennessy has a firm grasp on the middle.

Hammock
    SLD Streamliner DL
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    New River & Owyhee
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopies
    If you are looking for a full kit I suggest talking to Jared at Simply Light Designs. Awesome service and the he custom made me a hammock and bug sock, then had it in the mail a day later. I know he offers a few kits on ebay HERE they just don't have the bug sock but even adding that should still keep the kit around $200.

Hammock
    Ridge Outdoor Gear Pinnacle 360
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    If I may make a suggestion for kayak camping. A Warbonnet RidgeRunner. It is a bridge style hammock with nice features just for your style of camping.

Doing a lot of river or lake camping, you will probably get more wind than deep in the woods.

The RidgeRunner has a double layer that you can slide your thermarest into lengthwise so it doesn't move. Also it has a built-in bugnet that can be unzipped from foot-end all the way around back to the other foot and stored into a bag at the end.

Like the BlackBird, it also has storage shelf, well, it's more of a double-sized pocket on each side and inside the bug netting, as well as one in the head area.

You can also get the RidgeRunner poncho liner that does double duty as a poncho and a weather liner so the spray is minimized under your hammy.

How's that for an almost complete system. Just add your tarp or get one made for the RidgeRunner from Warbonnet. Then, you just need to add a TopQuilt, TQ, and your good to go.
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

Hammock
    DIY - Canoe Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    DIY UCRs
    Images
    I hear jacks-r-better makes a pretty nice bridge hammock. Bear Mountain Bridge

Hammock
    WL Lt Owl
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Outdoors
    Insulation
    Burrow/Incubator
    Suspension
    Tree straps
    Quote Originally Posted by fleshlight View Post
    ...I currently have a grand trunk ultralight travel hammock. I am considering the system hammocks because when I add up the costs of a bugnet and tarp, I might as well just get the system.

If your find your current hammock comfortable keep it for now. Find a bugnet that suits you (I like Buginator- it's fun to say) and buy a blue tarp at Home depot for less than $10. If you want it to be all one system - call it the Fleshlight System

My Expert opinion is that after following this forum for a very short period of time you will drain your bank account and tap into your kids' college funds in pursuit of a flatter lie, downier down, lighter ripstop and more Dutchware that you would imagine.

Keep your eye on the for sale thread. If you are patient you will find something that seems too good to be true. It will be true but act fast, the good stuff doesn't last long.

Good Luck

PS- My obsession started with the ENO One-link
    Last edited by OCDave; 07-30-2013 at 20:40. Reason: addendum

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast