DIY Tablecloth
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    DIY 5 oz CS Apex
    Suspension
    Straps w TiBuckles
    Images
    Tendertoe, your bug net, done in ripstop to be a sock is exactly what I've been looking for. May have to make a few bug nets the same way this spring for the family.

Now to scrape up a few sheckels for ripstop and omni tape...

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    Quote Originally Posted by PapaSmurf View Post
    There are several ways to do it. This happen to be the design I picked for this particular campout because I was in a hurry and didn't have a usable sock around anywhere.
    The cobbler's children have no shoes!
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    DIY The Crippler
    Tarp
    Cuben Refugee
    Insulation
    The Ex-gf
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Let me clear up the "Fronkey bugnet."

I made a bugnet for myself and didn't have a zipper to sew on, so the bottom was left open. I liked the idea of leaving it open and went with it, but thought that cinching it shut was easier. Then later tried it with shock cord and it worked great. This was all back when I used to hammock on the beach in Florida before I ever heard of hammock forums.

I got a bunch of PMs asking about it and made the "How to" video and instructions showing people how to make it too.
    After I put out the video I got some e-mails from people telling me that members such as GLP and Papasmurf made it before the video came out. Now, I may have made it awhile ago back in Fl, however there was no way anyone knew about it because it was something that was never put online. Just like I had no idea they made it. We've spoken about it and we all concluded that "great minds think alike." And let's be honest, it's a ridiculously easy design and the chances of multiple people coming up with it is very likely. Plus, I don't think any of us care who gets credit as long as the information is out there to share and help other people beat the skeet.

In my opinion, the design belongs to everyone and not one person. So, many people have come up with great ideas to mod it and make it better. Also, I'm sure we all agree that it's just a bugnet and who really cares who gets credit. lol
    I'm not entirely sure who first called it the "Fronkey" bugnet. My guess is someone just mentioned the video I made and it kind of stuck.

Fronkey

Hammock
    DIY The Crippler
    Tarp
    Cuben Refugee
    Insulation
    The Ex-gf
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    To get back on topic and answer the original question, I never thought that the "Fronkey" style bugnet was the way to go with a hammock sock. Heat rises and you want your breath and stuff to go out somewhere because condensation will build up and make your life miserable in there.
    The best sock design I've seen was a peapod design that had an opening for your breath to be exhaled outside, but still had a wind blocker attached to the outer rim. I saw the dude get down to -20f with it successfully.
    To add to this, I honestly don't trust hammock socks and think they are a bad idea for deep cold. It's better to use windproof material for your quilts than to bring a separate piece of gear and campsite selection will help out a lot too. Plus, it's just more to carry when you have to bring a hammock sock.

I'm saying this all as a backpacker and not a camper. So, weight is a concern to me when I'm out on the trail.

Whatever you decide to do though, please post photos as I love seeing what people come up with.

Fronkey

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Good point about this design needing more ventilation. An opening at or near the head end would seem to help quite a bit.

I'm a big fan of socks and/or overcovers.
    - Keeps the cold breeze off my face.
    - Warms up the inside of the hammock, allowing me to have my arms outside of my TQ.
    - Gives me a cozy, secure feeling.
    - Adds privacy.

gothmog - good luck on your project and let me know if I can help in any way.
    Like Fronkey says, we like pictures.

Hammock
    DIY Tablecloth Double
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex
    Insulation
    PLUQ, Wool, Down
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    I will definately document the whole process. Thanks for all the help!

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Goose bumps
    Suspension
    Bat Feet
    I've done several of the Fronkey style socks and love each one of them. They work well here without much condensation since it's quite dry in the high desert.
    It was his video that got me into the thread injector addiction.
    Love is blind. Marriage is an eye opener.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12