DIY Tablecloth Double
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex
    Insulation
    PLUQ, Wool, Down
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies

Hammock sock

So as per my previous thread, I'm making a complete DIY camping setup. I'm thinking a fronkey style bugnet, and same design with ripstop for a sock. I got to thinking, however. Would it be better to sew the bottom closed, and leave at least one or both ends full depth and shock cord them closed? Thread them over hammock and ridgeline, cinch one end up then just pull them over and cinch other end when I'm inside? Thanks for your opinions.

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    I've done the tube style sock before. It can work, but it isnt simple to slide the tube around your uq. It can be a hassle.
    Maybe side entrance sock or top opening?
    Easy entry/exit is priceless when nature calls!! lol.
    Fronkeys design works well for trapping heat, and allowing for a good chimney effect for fresh air. Venting/condensation control is crucial for socks.

Besides if the bugs are out you prolly wont need the sock and vice versa.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ
    I threw a quick one together for last month's campout for testing with a simple netless gathered end hammock. Similar to one of my earlier bug net designs.

Materials
    3yds - 1.0oz ripstop nylon, 68" wide
    6yds - 3/32 shock cord
    2 - Micro 2 hole cord locks

Procedure
    1. Stitch a 3/4" channel along both sides of fabric.
    2. Fold fabric in half to approx 104" x 32"
    3. With cover inside out, Stitch ends leaving approx an inch open at the top corners.
    4. Turn right side out and put a second row of stitching on ends.
    5. Thread shock cord through bottom channel and attatch cord lock on both ends.

Final weight was right around 5.5oz.

This made a quick and simple cover that cinched up against my UQ. Using the breathable ripstop blocked the wind well and provided a nice temperature boost inside the hammock for the 25 degree overnight lows.

Hammock
    DIY Tablecloth Double
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex
    Insulation
    PLUQ, Wool, Down
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    If I'm reading your post right Papa, and the diagrams, it looks like you both are heralding the fronkey design. Makes sense. Yes, BTW, I will only use one or the other, sock or bugnet. Just figured I'm ordering and thread injecting everything else now, might as well go ahead and do both.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    webbing and rings
    Quote Originally Posted by gothmog View Post
    So as per my previous thread, I'm making a complete DIY camping setup. I'm thinking a fronkey style bugnet, and same design with ripstop for a sock. I got to thinking, however. Would it be better to sew the bottom closed, and leave at least one or both ends full depth and shock cord them closed? Thread them over hammock and ridgeline, cinch one end up then just pull them over and cinch other end when I'm inside? Thanks for your opinions.
    I don't like this method personally, but if you do decide to go this route, make sure you accommodate for it in the dimensions of the raw fabric. It is not simply leaving one or both of the ends full depth, you need to actually add fabric to the end(s) to be cinched.

So instead of an "inverted" trapezoid with the traditional design, you'd need to have more of a rhombus if you are doing only 1 cinch end or "right side up" trapezoid if you are doing both ends cinching.

I tried a similar method with bugnetting and did not add fabric at the cinching end and that end did not allow enough room for my hammock. I ended up seam ripping the channel out and adding velcro instead. This is the method I prefer. The Fronkey bottom entry but also having one full side fully openable to be able to pull it over my hammock with gear in it.

I love the Fronkey design and am planning a sock in the same style when I can get around to making one.

Hammock
    DIY Tablecloth Double
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex
    Insulation
    PLUQ, Wool, Down
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    Well, that pretty much sums it up then. Fronkey it is, for both of them. Thanks All!!

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ
    There are several ways to do it. This happen to be the design I picked for this particular campout because I was in a hurry and didn't have a usable sock around anywhere.

HF member G.L.P. built a fine looking net with this design way back when.
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=16660

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    webbing and rings
    I keep telling myself I should probably use different terminology every time I post about this.

Just because I learned about it from Fronkey, doesn't make it a "Fronkey bottom entry", I suppose.

Shock cord bottom entry would probably be a better way to describe it.

Thanks for posting PapaSmurf.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Quote Originally Posted by Tendertoe View Post
    Just because I learned about it from Fronkey, doesn't make it a "Fronkey bottom entry", I suppose.
    I certainly mean no disrespect to Fronkey. He did a great job with the video and teaching folks how to build this. I think the term "Fronkey Net" is appropriate.
    Another variation of this I've been kicking around is replacing the ends of the net with waterproof material for use with smaller asym diamond tarps. Don'r know when I'll get the time to build it, but it's on my list to try.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    webbing and rings
    Quote Originally Posted by PapaSmurf View Post
    I certainly mean no disrespect to Fronkey. He did a great job with the video and teaching folks how to build this. I think the term "Fronkey Net" is appropriate.
    Another variation of this I've been kicking around is replacing the ends of the net with waterproof material for use with smaller asym diamond tarps. Don'r know when I'll get the time to build it, but it's on my list to try.

Of course.

It's funny you bring up the design you mention as that was something I had thought of giving a try as well.

Even for a sock, doing a "vent" obviously much smaller than you illustrate here was something I was also kicking around to help with condensation. Just a strip of bugnetting at the head end.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast