Warbonnet Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    Dutch Print USA!
    Insulation
    Jacks R Better/HG
    Suspension
    Dutch Beetles

Removing Poison Ivy from my Clark

Hey guys, (to skip my rant and jump right to the question, read last paragraph)

New to HF and have enjoyed reading all of your posts.

I have a Clark Tropical and am currently sitting here nursing my second case of poison ivy in as many weeks. Two weekends ago I got the nasty rash and went to Doc for the shot. Once it cleared I didn't think much of it because I had never had an outbreak like that in my life. To give you an idea, it covered 50-60% of my body. I seriously thought it was going to kill me! It cleared up nicely after the shot so I went camping last weekend. In all fairness the Doc said I would be more susceptible to urushoil but I really made sure to stay away from it this trip.

Needless to say I am currently covered again and received another shot yesterday. Not wanting to go through this again I have cleaned all my gear...with the exception of my hammock. I called Clark and asked what they recommended. They suggested putting the hammock in a bucket with a couple drops of soap and sloshing it around. Said to stay away from the washing machine because it would ruin the waterproofing of the material.

Question? (insert Dwight Schrute voice)...have any of you had this issue, specifically urushoil inside your hammock and if so how did you remove it?

****Update page 2
    Last edited by Marine2000; 01-06-2013 at 17:08. Reason: update

Hammock
    WBB
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Baby Orca/Klymit
    Suspension
    straps/c buckles
    Images
    This is a great question and one people think about on the AT.

I believe someone had to wash everything! sleeping bag, clothes, etc

I will check White Blaze.....
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

AT '12. AT '14. FT '15. CA '15.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx/Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Yikes! I've never heard of this specifically, but that oil can be wicked stuff, especially if you have a high sensitivity to it.

I would think doing the mild soap washing in a bucket (maybe several times) should do the trick and won't hurt the hammock at all.

BTW, welcome to the forums from Denver!
    Brian
    Denver, CO
    Father. Husband. Scoutmaster.

Hammock
    Custom Gathered End
    Tarp
    Macat Ultra,UGQ WD
    Insulation
    Incubator/Pea Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Dutchware
    Images
    I don't think soap will dissolve the Urushoil enough to be effective. I would deff use a bucket method though but instead of soap use Tecnu Wash. It worked on a set of tree straps a while back to remove the oil.
    Good Luck!
    Hootenanny Hang June 11-13, 2021
    Love many, trust few & always paddle your own canoe. American Proverb

Adventure is Calling... nolilearn.org

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx/Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by L.D. Cakes View Post
    I don't think soap will dissolve the Urushoil enough to be effective. I would deff use a bucket method though but instead of soap use Tecnu Wash. It worked on a set of tree straps a while back to remove the oil.
    Good Luck!
    Interesting, I haven't seen that before. I'll have to keep that in mind in the event I ever run into this problem on my clothing/gear.
    Brian
    Denver, CO
    Father. Husband. Scoutmaster.

Hammock
    Custom Gathered End
    Tarp
    Macat Ultra,UGQ WD
    Insulation
    Incubator/Pea Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Dutchware
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by breyman View Post
    Interesting, I haven't seen that before. I'll have to keep that in mind in the event I ever run into this problem on my clothing/gear.
    It's good stuff & has been around since the 70's. It has saved my Brother from many a trip to the Dr since he is sooooo allergic!
    Hootenanny Hang June 11-13, 2021
    Love many, trust few & always paddle your own canoe. American Proverb

Adventure is Calling... nolilearn.org

Hammock
    Warbonett BB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    BWDD Winter Dream2
    Insulation
    Winter Crowsnest
    Suspension
    whoopieslings.com
    My local arborist, who is in poison ivy all the time, recommends (like L.D. Cakes) Technu. Says it will remove the irritating oil.

I know this was a problem for you a while back but I'm from Florida and poison ivy is a big problem down here. One of the best ways to get that oily resin off of your skin fast is old school octagon lye soap. Yes...lye. For some reason there's a big stigma against it but trust me it works great and is safe to use on a bunch of stuff like laundry, pots, pans, dishes..you name it. I take it with me when I camp because it works just as well in hot or cold water so I can treat myself with whatever water is available. That and it's dirt cheap at the piggly wiggly (yes...I know...sorry I live in the South, I didn't name it). If you've got a rag or spare clean shirt with you while you're out just get it wet, rub octagon on it and scrub scrub scrub. It works awesome. The lye cuts through the resin like butter. A little hydrocortisone cream and I'm good to go .

Hammock
    DIY D.L. Hammock, Eagle Nest pro
    Tarp
    Kelty12',9' & SF
    Insulation
    Down UnderQuilt
    Suspension
    Woopie Slings
    If its Ripstop nylon. should not be a problem inside a front loader washer., With it stuffed inside a pillow case. Short hand wash warm cycle.
    Depends on the water proofing used.. can still be re-applied after cleaning. Lots of spray proofing on market. Depends on construction of hammock and makers instructions on how to clean.

If its like Poison oak. The oils is the nasty critter in the plant.

Can buy technu, dump good amount in a Bucket of good warm water.. and do a good hand washing with it. Rinse, Repeat.. hang to dry.

Down or Ivry Dish soap.. WITH OUT the anti-bacterial component inside it. Is a good natural Soap. Plus, it cuts oils. Like your greasy Frying pans. Works on clothing as well. Just easy on agitation, likes to foam up. use big bucket.. Hot water, that your hands can stand.. wash.. Rinse.. Repeat.. hang to dry.

That should remove the Oil's. SHOULD..

Hammock
    Underquilts.com doublenest
    Tarp
    12x10 DIY w/ doors
    Insulation
    TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Woopie/Tree Strap
    Yeah man, I just got done with this about a week ago. Woke up second day on hike(what was supposed to be 3 days) and face was swollen shut and hands were like giant balloons. Hiked out 5 miles like that and friend had to drive. Washed everything but hammock and bag.

Went out to a friends for 4 days for new years and setup hammock on his lakeside, came home today with more little bumps showing up. I have just now tossed my hammock in the washer on hand wash cold cycle, with 7th generation. Any soap will do, the whole idea is an agent that will bind to the oil and break its bond with the cloth material. Technu wash is nice, but you don't need it. Use what you have.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast