Images

to tight garda hitch?

I am considering using rings with a garda hitch to tie my HH to the tree huggers. What are the issues if the hitch and ridge line are to tight? I always tried to tie it off as tight as I could using the HH knot, which always stretches.

Great post by Just Jeff and I apologize if he answered this in his instructions.

thanks all

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    If you pull it too tight, it'll be really difficult to undo for a while. Might be good enough after laying in it all night, but for a while you probably won't be able to undo it.

But I don't think there's a reason to crank it down anyway...just leave an extra inch or so, then slide the huggers up an inch or two, and you'll get the same lay while putting less stress on the tree.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ankh View Post
    I am considering using rings with a garda hitch to tie my HH to the tree huggers. What are the issues if the hitch and ridge line are to tight? I always tried to tie it off as tight as I could using the HH knot, which always stretches.

Great post by Just Jeff and I apologize if he answered this in his instructions.

thanks all
    in any of these systems that rely on some doubling back of cord or webbing through a pincher, if the cord or webbing is really tight ("too" tight, in your own words ), it become hard to loosen them up. You have to make some slack, somehow, to get the suspension moving through the pincher.

In my HH days I cranked up the tension too, using rings, till one day on HF someone pointed out that it was unnecessary. You want and need only the tension required to set the sag. Once I learned that lesson I didn't have problems with jammed rings anymore.

Grizz

Hammock
    HH Expd Asm or DIY or WBBB or .....
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ / CCF Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie!!!....
    Images
    I've read here in a few places people feel that you can get a HH too tight. The most common problem of this is the ridgeline snaps. So when I started using rings I tested roughly how tight the hammock was using the fig 8 knot & tried to mach it by feel with the rings. YOU DO NOT HAVE TO PULL ALL THAT HARD. Also if once you weight test it & find it needs a little more it is so much easier to adjust with the rings. Like Griz said if you try to pull the trees out of the ground you will have a really tough time getting the line loose from the rings. It's not needed a little dab really will do it.
    My knife is so sharp it cut the sixth finger off my right hand! On the plus side, Inigo Montoya no longer hunts me.

• + New Posts