Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 23
  1. #11
    Acer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Southern Indiana Wooded Hills
    Hammock
    WBRR, Diy M90 MR Gathered
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Lynx/UGQ/Jarbidge
    Suspension
    Straps/Whoop/Dutch
    Posts
    3,887
    Images
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by mudbone View Post
    Wow you guys are quick! I appreciate the suggestions and will do a little more research on climbing hardware. I just don't know if the cave will have any cracks in the walls or not..
    I have a cave on the border of my property, but,,,its sandstone with a column at the front of it giving you a total walkaround room before you go back in it. I am not sure if I would even try and use anything to hang in it as its sandstone and sand floor and would be afraid that the sandstone would be so gritty and weak that nothing would work. Needs to be a more solid rock wall as you can rub your hand across it and your hand would be full of sand. Then again, get a cam far enough back in a crack,,and there might not be any give. Would rather see that the rock is not so sandy,,more of a granite or even limestone makeup. We don't have granite stone in southern Indiana. Be careful of what rock makeup, you hang from I guess.

  2. #12
    Senior Member turnerminator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Peterborough,UK
    Hammock
    DIY Pertex
    Tarp
    DIY with doors on
    Insulation
    Down and synthetic
    Suspension
    Whoopies & hooks
    Posts
    1,339
    I tried to hang off Gritstone last year with tree huggers wrapped round the rocks-just the weight of me in the hammock started to cut through the straps.

    Lesson learnt for me, use cheaper disposable rope if not using hardwear on abrasive rocks.

  3. #13
    Scottybdiving's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Spicewood, TX
    Hammock
    WBBB, Switchback 1.9 SL & 1.9 DL
    Tarp
    BDWD, AE Hard Rock
    Insulation
    Incubator, Burrow
    Suspension
    Webbing & Rings
    Posts
    745
    I did some test hanging in preparation for a rafting trip. I never used them but I always carry a set of CampUSA Tri Cams with me. It could be done.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (206.1 KB, 99 views)
    • File Type: jpg 2.jpg (206.2 KB, 94 views)
    • File Type: jpg 4.jpg (289.3 KB, 100 views)
    • File Type: jpg 16.jpg (258.5 KB, 90 views)
    • File Type: jpg 18.jpg (279.6 KB, 87 views)
    We are now ready to start our way down the Great Unknown.We are three quarters of a mile in the depth of the earth.We have an unknown distance yet to run, an unknow river yet to explore.What falls there are, we know not; what rocks beset the channel, we know not; what walls rise over the river, we know not. Ah, well! We may conjecture many things. The men talk as cheerfully as ever; jests are bandied about freely this morning; but to me the cheer is somber and the jests are ghastly. Powell 1869

  4. #14
    Senior Member HamMike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Kettering, OH
    Hammock
    WL Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Luke's LB HG hex
    Insulation
    HG TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    SlingRings/Straps
    Posts
    2,582
    Images
    46
    I know I have seen some pictures on here of a cave hang. I don't mean hanging in a depressed section of a rock formation. I mean deep into a cave. Definately doable but use extreme caution when selecting a spot and look for loose rocks above just like you'd look for dead branches.
    "He who makes a beast of himself, gets rid of the pain of being a man." Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

    Please check out the link below to show your love for hammocks!www.zazzle.com/hammocklife

  5. #15
    Senior Member Refreshing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Chaska, MN
    Hammock
    Portaledge-Of-Love
    Tarp
    TREEfool Rainfly
    Insulation
    M.H. Ultralamina
    Suspension
    Climb Spec Webbing
    Posts
    557
    I personally feel that buying cams (around $50 to $100 EACH) would be a waste of money unless you are an avid rock climber. Plus, if you don't have a teacher to show you how to place rock protection (cams, nuts, hexes, tricams) and build an appropriate anchor you will either sleep naively or spend wakeless nights knowing that your gear could blow from the crack and you could break a buttcheek.

    If you MUST invest in gear then just get a set of nuts and a variety of slings. You can sling rock features, use the nuts in small cracks, and use rocks wedged into cracks as natural chockstones.

    Quote Originally Posted by Scottybdiving View Post
    I did some test hanging in preparation for a rafting trip. I never used them but I always carry a set of CampUSA Tri Cams with me. It could be done.
    That is one sweet looking campsite! However that tricam placement looks terrifying. Your hammock looks high enough that if your gear blew you could land on a rock and fracture a spinous process. The number one rule in building anchors is REDUNDANCY. Using two pieces equalized with a sling is way more bombproof.
    Last edited by Refreshing; 01-06-2013 at 13:49.
    v
    v

    TREEfool.com < < hammock dangerously
    ^
    ^

  6. #16
    mugs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Spokane & Hobart, Wa
    Hammock
    DHDB 1.9 SL/WBRR DL
    Tarp
    Varies with season
    Insulation
    UGQ Everything
    Suspension
    Webbing Suspension
    Posts
    760
    Quote Originally Posted by mattyg View Post
    Climbing nuts work
    True, but their neck's may get tired after a while from the webbing pulling on them all the time
    I miss my 4.8Lb base weight as a ground dweller...But I sure DON'T MISS the ground.

  7. #17
    Scottybdiving's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Spicewood, TX
    Hammock
    WBBB, Switchback 1.9 SL &amp; 1.9 DL
    Tarp
    BDWD, AE Hard Rock
    Insulation
    Incubator, Burrow
    Suspension
    Webbing &amp; Rings
    Posts
    745
    Quote Originally Posted by Refreshing View Post
    I personally feel that buying cams (around $50 to $100 EACH) would be a waste of money unless you are an avid rock climber. Plus, if you don't have a teacher to show you how to place rock protection (cams, nuts, hexes, tricams) and build an appropriate anchor you will either sleep naively or spend wakeless nights knowing that your gear could blow from the crack and you could break a buttcheek.

    If you MUST invest in gear then just get a set of nuts and a variety of slings. You can sling rock features, use the nuts in small cracks, and use rocks wedged into cracks as natural chockstones.



    That is one sweet looking campsite! However that tricam placement looks terrifying. Your hammock looks high enough that if your gear blew you could land on a rock and fracture a spinous process. The number one rule in building anchors is REDUNDANCY. Using two pieces equalized with a sling is way more bombproof.
    You are right and I have no formal training with rock climbing gear. As I stated this was a test hang, and had no intentions of an overnight. Those close-up photos are deceiving and don't really depict the depth of that crack and a redundant cam could have easily been used. My conclusion was, it could be done under the right circumstances. For me, this means with a soft landing. On my 14 days on the Colorado River through the Grand Canyon, there were many situations where rock formations meet sandy beach. The next time I float the Grand Canyon, you can bet I will give it a shot to keep from sleeping on the ground again.
    We are now ready to start our way down the Great Unknown.We are three quarters of a mile in the depth of the earth.We have an unknown distance yet to run, an unknow river yet to explore.What falls there are, we know not; what rocks beset the channel, we know not; what walls rise over the river, we know not. Ah, well! We may conjecture many things. The men talk as cheerfully as ever; jests are bandied about freely this morning; but to me the cheer is somber and the jests are ghastly. Powell 1869

  8. #18
    Senior Member Refreshing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Chaska, MN
    Hammock
    Portaledge-Of-Love
    Tarp
    TREEfool Rainfly
    Insulation
    M.H. Ultralamina
    Suspension
    Climb Spec Webbing
    Posts
    557
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottybdiving View Post
    You are right and I have no formal training with rock climbing gear. As I stated this was a test hang, and had no intentions of an overnight. Those close-up photos are deceiving and don't really depict the depth of that crack and a redundant cam could have easily been used. My conclusion was, it could be done under the right circumstances. For me, this means with a soft landing. On my 14 days on the Colorado River through the Grand Canyon, there were many situations where rock formations meet sandy beach. The next time I float the Grand Canyon, you can bet I will give it a shot to keep from sleeping on the ground again.
    Good stuff. Well here is a tip for you then. After you placed your tricam attach a sling and stand in it then hop up and down. If it doesn't pop out you will be plenty safe using it to hang! Just make sure you have a spork or stick to help you retrieve it.
    v
    v

    TREEfool.com < < hammock dangerously
    ^
    ^

  9. #19
    New Member mudbone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Broken Arrow, OK
    Hammock
    Eno SingleNest
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex Fly
    Insulation
    UGQ 20*2/3 Zepplin
    Suspension
    Whoopieslings
    Posts
    21
    Images
    2
    Wow those are some good ideas! I am currently watching some gear on ebay that is being bid fairly low right now. I wont spend any real money as I have no interest in climbing right now, but I will buy some stuff on the cheap!
    "A closed mouth gathers no foot" - Confucious

  10. #20
    Senior Member swankfly's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    South Louisiana
    Posts
    1,447
    Images
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by Refreshing View Post
    Good stuff. Well here is a tip for you then. After you placed your tricam attach a sling and stand in it then hop up and down. If it doesn't pop out you will be plenty safe using it to hang! Just make sure you have a spork or stick to help you retrieve it.
    JUST THE GUY I WAS HOPING TO JUMP ON THIS THREAD!

    Now that you are in the conversation, there is little for me to add.

    For those of you that don't know, this guy sleeps in the 50' plus canopy of the trees we hang 20" off the ground.

    Listen to what he has to say about hanging from rocks, trees or anything over 3' off the ground.

    swank

Similar Threads

  1. UGQ Rocks!
    By ControlledRot in forum UGQ Outdoor Equipment
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-30-2013, 20:18
  2. wow i mean wow HF rocks
    By Big Bacon in forum General Hammock Talk
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 01-19-2013, 00:14
  3. Hanging from Rocks at Joshua Tree
    By tflannery in forum Suspension Systems, Ridgelines, & Bug Nets
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 01-12-2011, 19:03
  4. Hanging from rocks in Joshua Tree NP
    By sgantman in forum Hangouts, Campouts, and Trip Planning
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 09-29-2010, 00:02
  5. Hanging from rocks
    By Scratch in forum General Hammock Talk
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 06-23-2009, 13:43

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •