Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Images
    LazyCamper, are you, like Ducttape ( and Neo, both with pads in Claytor hammocks) one of those lucky souls who are just as comfy with a pad as with an UQ, or you feel your hammock and pad is about as comfy as the hammock with no pad except for the cold thing? Or close enough?

If so, then why would you ever consider an UQ? For most of us hangers, comfort is about 90% of the reason we went to hammocks. And for most of us, a pad is just not as comfy, even if it is still a lot more comfy than a pad on the ground. But comfort is the biggest reason folks don't like ( or even hate) pads. What about it Cannibal? Bulky comes in 2nd place, way less of an issue depending on what size and type of pack you are using. ( and by comfort I am including the sweat issue some have)

I find pads significantly less pleasant to use in most hammocks, way less of an issue with my JRB bridge. I have often been tempted to switch to pads in my bridge, the comfort is so close. So why- even if comfort is close - would I be tempted to switch, and why are pad users the lucky ones( if they are happy enough with their pads? )? Because pads are:

1: way less expensive, down right cheap!
    2: way more durable. Hard to hurt CCF, and even inflatables can be patched. rip a hole in a 900 FP down UQ miles from the car, and it is a bad day in so many ways! ( not likely, but possible )
    3: No fiddle factor ( assuming you can stay on your pad). Not so with UQs, just look at all the threads that are like: " Help, I was cold at 40 in my 20F UQ, what am I doing wrong?". Seen many threads like that? Sure Y'all have!
    3: ~ windproof. ( UQs are not the least windproof, and see this current thread: http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=65859 )
    4: ~ water proof.
    5: probably lighter, if bulkier, for a given temp.
    6: You are all set for any go to ground or shelter floor emergency
    7: you probably already have some sort of pad with you anyway, as a sit pad or a frame for some packs.
    8: multiple use item

Now if a person fit into the category of plenty comfy on a pad and bulk is not a big deal ( and most will not ), why would you fix what a'int broke? But for most of us it just is not as comfy, and that's the main point for this hammock thing, so we will just find a way to live with out those 8 pad pros! We will just suck it up!
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 01-07-2013 at 15:01.
    For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory that is to be revealed to us....that the creation itself also will be set free from its slavery to corruption into the freedom of the glory of the children of God. For we know that the whole creation groans and suffers the pains of childbirth together until now.
    Romans 8:18,21-22

Hammock
    Eno Single-Nest (for now!)
    Tarp
    Eno Pro Fly Tarp
    Insulation
    sleeping bag pad
    Suspension
    Eno Slap straps
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    LazyCamper, are you, like Ducttape ( and Neo, both with pads in Claytor hammocks) one of those lucky souls who are just as comfy with a pad as with an UQ, or you feel your hammock and pad is about as comfy as the hammock with no pad except for the cold thing? Or close enough?

If so, then why would you ever consider an UQ? For most of us hangers, comfort is about 90% of the reason we went to hammocks. And for most of us, a pad is just not as comfy, even if it is still a lot more comfy than a pad on the ground. But comfort is the biggest reason folks don't like ( or even hate) pads. What about it Cannibal? Bulky comes in 2nd place, way less of an issue depending on what size and type of pack you are using. ( and by comfort I am including the sweat issue some have)

I find pads significantly less pleasant to use in most hammocks, way less of an issue with my JRB bridge. I have often been tempted to switch to pads in my bridge, the comfort is so close. So why- even if comfort is close - would I be tempted to switch, and why are pad users the lucky ones( if they are happy enough with their pads? )? Because pads are:

1: way less expensive, down right cheap!
    2: way more durable. Hard to hurt CCF, and even inflatables can be patched. rip a hole in a 900 FP down UQ miles from the car, and it is a bad day in so many ways! ( not likely, but possible )
    3: No fiddle factor ( assuming you can stay on your pad). Not so with UQs, just look at all the threads that are like: " Help, I was cold at 40 in my 20F UQ, what am I doing wrong?". Seen many threads like that? Sure Y'all have!
    3: ~ windproof. ( UQs are not the least windproof, and see this current thread: http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=65859 )
    4: ~ water proof.
    5: probably lighter, if bulkier, for a given temp.
    6: You are all set for any go to ground or shelter floor emergency
    7: you probably already have some sort of pad with you anyway, as a sit pad or a frame for some packs.
    8: multiple use item

Now if a person fit into the category of plenty comfy on a pad and bulk is not a big deal ( and most will not ), why would you fix what a'int broke? But for most of us it just is not as comfy, and that's the main point for this hammock thing, so we will just find a way to live with out those 8 pad pros! We will just suck it up!
    I can't be sure, because I've never slept in a underquilt. I may try to modify a couple of pads and see if I can sleep in comfort. I'm okay with my yoga mat, but it's not wide enough.(and it bunches up). I think I'll buy two Walmart pads and make a cold weather type pad with shoulder wings. So I'm not quite sure yet, but I think I'll keep tinkering with pads.
    Thanks,
    LazyCamper.

Hammock
    Diy gathered end/Fronkey bugnet
    Tarp
    Diy 11x10 w/doors
    Insulation
    DIY synth TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    Pads can get you down to some low's. Last year, I got to the upper 20's. That said, I can't wait to get an UQ/TQ combo and get off the shifty pads. Just like in summer, I would feel nothing but a soft hammy under me.
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

My fantastic Photographer wife: http://www.capturedhearts-photography.com

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    I was going to follow the Golden Rule and stay out of this thread, but since you asked...
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    What about it Cannibal?
    ...yeah, they suck!

As BillyBob stated, the issue for me is comfort. Not only do they not 'feel good' to me inside the hammock, but I sweat like nobody's business when laying on one in a hammock. Then there are the ridges that form under the sleeper and finding a way to incorporate a pad and all of its bulk into my packing methodology.

Like many, many others, pads were my gateway insulation. I used them because I didn't have anything else and didn't know any better. After my first night with an underquilt, there really wasn't anything to think about other than getting more underquilts.

If you have no issues with pads, there is no reason to look beyond. If you have one or two minor issues with pads, then an underquilt will be a welcome addition to your hammock arsenal. But....pads are a lot cheaper. Course, you have to remember the most basic of commercial rules; you get what you pay for.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    GT Double/Single
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wallyworld CCF Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    I'm OK with pads... But I'm sure if I tried a good UQ I'd never want to go back... Which is why I won't let myself try one.

Hammock
    WBRR, Diy M90 MR Gathered
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Lynx/UGQ/Jarbidge
    Suspension
    Straps/Whoop/Dutch
    Images
    I always hated packing a pad and then if it was a blow up one, always a pain to inflate and deflate,,,,that is alittle time consuming,,heck,,,I even find them uncomfortable sitting on after 20 minutes on a rock or stump or log or even the ground for that matter. I will stick with packing the extra weight of a full size UQ and the absolute comfort of it for a great nites sleep with no fiddle factor either. I just love jumping in the hammock and feeling the AHHHHHHHHH!!

Hammock
    HH Expedition
    Tarp
    HH hex (heavy)
    Insulation
    CCF pad
    Suspension
    HH descender rings
    Images
    Cannibal - "you get what you pay for". Au contraire. A CCF pad is one of the most effective pieces of backpacking equipment that one can purchase, whether for ground or hammock. An $8 pad gives as much insulation as a $200 UQ, and much more reliably too. IMO, rather a lot of cash for a minor improvement in comfort.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PDA View Post
    for a minor improvement in comfort.
    I agreed with you all the way until this part.
    For folks like me, the improvement is a very long ways from "minor". In fact, it is also a safety issue. I am a very warm sleeper who loves to camp in temps around zero. Spending the night in a constant sweat in those conditions is not good. The underquilts remove that concern completely, while bumping the comfort factor way up for me.

But like I said, if pads work for you then there is no reason to spend more money.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    GT Double/Single
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wallyworld CCF Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    But like I said, if pads work for you then there is no reason to spend more money.
    I think this is the bottom line. Of course you shouldn't buy an UQ if you're happy with your pad simply because a forum deems them better... But if you do find yourself wondering how much better it can get then maybe an UQ is for you.

I've found the following to be the answer to almost every question in life; 'it depends.'

Hammock
    BB
    Tarp
    zpacks cuben
    Insulation
    te-wa Freeze
    Suspension
    whoOpie slings
    Images
    i found the same thing, reflectix vs. ccf in 1/4"
    reflectix weighs more and is not as warm. plus, it leaves a strange black residue when you rub it.

anyway, ive used pads even tho i had an underquilt in the gear closet. couple of times the temps were around 65 at night so i brought a section of ccf that was about 20x30"

then there was the time i FORGOT my UQ, and ended up borrowing a Prolite 3 - which took me down to 19 degrees w/out problems. just had to lay straight like a board for 8 hrs.. lol
    new site! new gear! www.tewaunderquilts.com
    follow me on facebook!