Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Hammock
    WL, WB, Clark stuff
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cfi on the fly View Post
    One reason I think is because it's just so nice to be wrapped above and below in down. Very cocoon like feeling. However I think pads work just as well in some applications like in the JRB bmbh.
    I agree, I think it has ALOT to do with what hammock you use. My bridge conforms perfectly to pad use, I actually like the lay more with pads than without, its flatter and more stable with a pad. My RR is for 3 seasons.

Not so with my Snipe. I've tried a pad in it, and with me, it ruins the lay. I want my back to conform and give in to the natural curve of a gathered end. It is my summer choice of hammock.

I like hammocks because of all the choices.

Hammock
    The Purple People eater. 11' DIY
    Tarp
    DIY Superfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    WHOOPIE SLINGS!
    +1 on the moving around. My middle son is asking for an underquilt now because he keeps waking up with the pad either perpendicular to him, or on the ground!

If you don't move around much in your sleep then its not as bad.
    Chase your dreams without fear or hesitation!

Hammock
    wbbb XLC
    Tarp
    CubenWinter Palace
    Insulation
    Down TQ, UQ
    Suspension
    single ring
    Images
    If you're a backpacker, pads use up a lot more space in the pack vs. a down UQ. Or you have to strap them outside the pack which makes it hard to find a packcover that fits.

Hammock
    Claytor
    Tarp
    MacCat delux Spinn
    Insulation
    CCF and Quilts
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    Images
    The term pads is a broad category. those of us who use pads usually refer to ccf and not inflatables or self-inflaters. However, even with the correct pads, the hammock is the real key. Some think pads don't work because they don't work in their *system*. Some hammocks do not work with pads easily (if at all). The complaints about the pad moving around are hammock issues, not pad issues (unless they are trying to use an inflatable type). My hammock, for example, moving the pad is impossible even if trying to adjust it. Pads are very warm, often to warm in fact which leads to condensation issues. This isn't the fault of the pad, it is the person being too warm. For me, I don't use pads until the temp drops below freezing. Where pads really shine is subzero temps with lots of wind. Pads are incredible insulators, couple this with the fact they are vapor barriers and the heat stealing wind is kept at bay (one needs to also pitch their tarp appropriately). since UQ's are VERY susceptible to heat stealing wind, pads will be better choices in some situations. For me, I am just as comfortable in my hammock with either pads or uq's. Like I said before, the hammock is a key variable when using pads.

Hammock
    Gt UL, 1.7 wbbb
    Tarp
    GG, monsoon,suprfl
    Insulation
    PLUQ, jarbidge, di
    Suspension
    Whoopie wb-strap
    Images
    My 10 year old prefers the pad. He likes that it holds the hammock open while he is getting in and out. He puts the pad into his sleeping bag so he will stay on it. He did that on his own, I never told him to the morning after his first night it was there. when I questioned him he said it would sit still so he put it in there.
    Dammfast

“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”

― Mark Twain

Hammock
    DIY End Channel
    Tarp
    DIY Winter tarp
    Insulation
    UGQ and HG
    Suspension
    Kevlar, amsteel.
    Images
    I don't think anyone 'hates' pads, just that most folk prefer being against nice soft material that conforms to your body's shape. The warm fluffy stuff underneath you feels quite nice as well. Saying that I've seen a few folk say they prefer pads... hyoh.

Hammock
    GT Double/Single
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wallyworld CCF Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    I've been trying to get my pad system just right because I'm too cheap (broke is more accurate) to buy an UQ and I've found the standard CCF pads to be the best. My Big Agnes Air Core moves way too much. That's getting filed under 'ground gear' from now on, which might as well be the 'for sale' bin.

The blue foam pads are cheap, light, warm, stay put well, and hold the hammock open so I can climb in without any effort... I can't ask for any more!

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    Pads...

Pros
    Low cost
    great insulator
    large variety to choose from

Cons
    Bulky
    tend to shift alot in single layer hammocks
    Condensation problems

I started off with pads and have used them down to 18 degrees in my double layer BB. I would not try to use a pad in a single layer hammock due to the pad shifting. Others have used them with great suscess in single layer hammocks. These days I use UQs as I find them much more comfortable to use.
    Last edited by gunner76; 01-08-2013 at 21:26.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    Eno Single-Nest (for now!)
    Tarp
    Eno Pro Fly Tarp
    Insulation
    sleeping bag pad
    Suspension
    Eno Slap straps
    Quote Originally Posted by dammfast View Post
    My 10 year old prefers the pad. He likes that it holds the hammock open while he is getting in and out. He puts the pad into his sleeping bag so he will stay on it. He did that on his own, I never told him to the morning after his first night it was there. when I questioned him he said it would sit still so he put it in there.
    Will try this tonight. Thanks!

Hammock
    Underquilts.com doublenest
    Tarp
    12x10 DIY w/ doors
    Insulation
    TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Woopie/Tree Strap
    I'm cool with a yoga mat and windshield reflector pad setup right now and thats down to 30*. Add my fleece and a 40* sleeping bag and I personally feel nice down in the 20's. Now I have been playing around with finding an offbrand/cheap sleeping bag that I could compress the **** out of and taking it as an adapted underquilt, but who knows.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast