Dangerbird, (custom) thanks Papa
    Tarp
    10x10 DIY
    Insulation
    DIY insultex.
    Suspension
    Woopie, UCR

Prima Loft One TQ

Hi all. I know there are 100s perhaps 1,000s of threads on TQs. Forgive me for starting another. I'm going to make one using topic material and I'm looking for input. Please don't tell me to use down. Te-Wa did a great job on that. Have any of you seen one on this material. I want to be good to around 40*.
    The material I'm looking at is 3oz., .6" loft, with a CLO of .92. Thanks

Hammock
    Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    DCF Winter
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ @ TQ
    Suspension
    Whoope
    Images

primaloft

Quote Originally Posted by ibgary View Post
    Hi all. I know there are 100s perhaps 1,000s of threads on TQs. Forgive me for starting another. I'm going to make one using topic material and I'm looking for input. Please don't tell me to use down. Te-Wa did a great job on that. Have any of you seen one on this material. I want to be good to around 40*.
    The material I'm looking at is 3oz., .6" loft, with a CLO of .92. Thanks
    I have the Cocoon brand OVER BAG, which seems to be that same weight of Primaloft.

BY ITSELF, it does not keep me warm below 45 degrees. (it weighs 2 lb.) I also made a TQ using 1.25" 6oz. Primloft Sport, but, it is also layered with insultex, and thermoflect, so, it is hard to say what the performance of just the Primaloft alone is in it's warmth. It weighs 2.5 lb. I do not have a low temperature limit on it yet.
    Since I retired, some times I stay awake all day, some times all night.

Hammock
    Tarp
    10x10 DIY
    Insulation
    DIY insultex.
    Suspension
    Woopie, UCR
    Thanks for the info. How does the ix work on top? You said yours is 1.25" which sounds like 2 layers. At 2lbs, pretty heavy, what are the dimension? Bag or quilt. I was hoping for a quilt @ under 1 lb.

Hammock
    Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    DCF Winter
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ @ TQ
    Suspension
    Whoope
    Images

primaloft

Here are some pictures.

It's a quilt, using the 1.25" Primaloft Sport @ 6oz. although I may put another piece of .75" Primaloft in later.

The shape is a large mummy, 20" at bottom, 44" top, 80" long. The pictures taken do NOT have the Primaloft insulation inserted. I don't know how one could construct a quilt which could keep you warm below 45 degrees, for the weight of only 1 lb. I've tried all sorts of combinations, and, haven't done it yet. Maybe using Momentum 90 and down?

The inside is material towards the sleeper is olifin, which is the material many re-usable grocery bags are made of. The inside progressive insulative layers from that are insultex, and thermoflect. The outer material is PU WP ripstop. But, the end top layer is closed with velcro, making it possible to open it up and insert a variety of insulation types into the quilt, a down module, primaloft, or anything else. Presently I am trying the .6 oz. Primaloft Sport. But, will make a down filled module the same shape configuration as the quilt, and insert it.

The thermoflect material which is an "aluminum-ized" disposible hospital warmer blanket greatly increases heat retention. In fact I use thermoflect in other cold weather items, and really value it. Wish I could get more. I was able to get one on a HF group buy, and contacted thermoflect directly about buying more. In fact, thermoflect did send me 4 to experiment with, but, I reported my uses and success to them, and, they did not reply. I am working on getting more locally from hospital purchasing departments. Insultex and Thermoflect make a great combination, very much like Columbia's Omni-heat material.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by psyculman; 01-08-2013 at 06:20. Reason: clarity
    Since I retired, some times I stay awake all day, some times all night.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Figuring out temperature from CLO values (note that this assumes you'll be wearing a standard base layer and all other things are equal; i.e.: not a cold or warm sleeper, no wind, ideal humidity conditions, etc.):

Take the temperature desired (40*) and subtract from 70*.

70 - 40 = 30

Then, take the resulting temperature and divide by 14 (the amount of temperature difference that 1 CLO gets you).

30 / 14 = ~2.14

Then take that number and divide by the CLO/oz/sq yd value of the insulation.

2.14 / 0.92 = ~2.33

That is the oz/sq yd value that you'll need to get to your desired temperature under ideal conditions for the mythical "average sleeper" while wearing a standard base layer. So, yes, 3 oz/sq yd Primaloft should get you to 40* just fine. I'd rate that at about freezing for a lower comfort limit (0.92 * 3 = 2.76; 2.76 * 14 = 38.64; 70 - 38.64 = 31.36); note that this is "you won't freeze to death" rather than "toasty warm".

Drafts become a bigger issue once you drop below freezing, but for 40* they're less of a problem.

Hope it helps!
    "Just prepare what you can and enjoy the rest."
    --Floridahanger

Hammock
    Tarp
    10x10 DIY
    Insulation
    DIY insultex.
    Suspension
    Woopie, UCR
    Thank you both. Both replies are very helpful.
    I'll post some pics as I move forward.

Hammock
    Tarp
    10x10 DIY
    Insulation
    DIY insultex.
    Suspension
    Woopie, UCR

Ive made the TQ a couple of months ago, but didnt get a chance to test it until last week. It was about 50 deg and it felt fine. I cinched the foot box with an elastic cord and put 3 snaps on about 8" apart. I may make another with a layer of insultex in between two layers of 4oz. Primaloft one. That will probably take it down another 10-15 deg.

Hammock
    HH Expedition, DIY
    Tarp
    Maccat Deluxe
    Insulation
    DIY TQ, UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    The formulas I found and I believe will put you very close are:

For down or loose synthetic down temp F= 56.7 - (11.64 x loft) or
    loft = (56.7 - temp F)/ 56.7

For sport or primaloft one: 60 - (oz/yd x 5) = temp F
    "truth is uncontainable, and inexpressible. It neither is nor is not.
    This unformulated principle is the foundation of the different systems of all the sages."
    Diamond Sutra

• + New Posts