Hammock
    Switchback/Treklite
    Tarp
    BWDD WinterDream
    Insulation
    IX 5-in-1/WM bag
    Suspension
    Whoopies/TL Stand
    I second the idea that you check out the turtledog portable stand thread imagine whether you could make one to use in the yard, in the basement, in the den, the garage, at grandma's. This may require you to temporarily postpone your own preconceived notions of what you really want for your bedroom. But the compromise may prove very enlightening about where else you could hang for now. You will instantly become the envy of your friends with a hammock and a Turtledog stand. Mom should appreciate your willingness to compromise, and then may soften amazingly fast when she sees the mellow bliss that radiates from the hammock from all who test it.

Show Mom a few of the more attractive photos, reassure her it can disappear in three minutes into a closet, and wouldn't require you to throw away the bed or scar the room in any way.

You found your way into this forum to ask for help. I suspect you will persist to success with your Mom before too long.

Good Luck! Keep us updated.

Joyfully, Turtlelady

Hammock
    kammok roo/ diy tablecloth
    Tarp
    kelty noahs tarp12
    Insulation
    eno vulcan
    Suspension
    python straps
    I went through the same thing with my dad when I was younger he just didn't want any hardware sticking out of the walls and he said it was a phase and that I would get over wanting a hammock in my room so I started out in the yard with a hammock I made from a bedsheet and some spare rope. After about a month of hanging in the yard and gtting torn up by mosquitoes I asked if he would mind if I built a stand for inside and I showed him what I wanted to build he reluctantly said OK. But I couldn't keep it in my room due to space so. Had to keep it in the rec room not long after thatt he was using it as much as I was. It took time but I converted him that was 10 years ago and he still hangs around in a hammock on the stand that I built. So if you can make a hammock and a stand see if you can get your mom to relax in it once or twice I bet you can get her to come around and let you keep it inside and if not you have a setup you can throw a bug net and a tarp over and camp in
    Last edited by busan321; 01-06-2013 at 22:19.

Hammock
    Streamliner, Boone 30
    Tarp
    UGQ, Spinn Edge
    Insulation
    UGQ, SSUQ, Greyloc
    Suspension
    UCR's, Whoopies
    Images
    Well 1st show her Shugs videos for noobs......oh wait, that may not be the best idea, I personally love Shug's videos... but we all know he ain't normal! But I ain't either!

Seriously though, if you're near an outfitter call them and find out if there is someone there familiar with hammock camping and ask if they can talk to you and your parents about hammock camping and safety and see if they can demonstrate different models and answer your mom's questions. I know REI would be more than happy to work with you on that.

Try a Beyer Amazona's Miskito Hammock, I've tried alot of hammocks and it's the most comfortable I've tried yet. I'm 5'11", 190#'s, and it's just a tad smallish in the net, and REI has them for $40. Another advantage is options for attaching underquilts, they can be attached with 4 points of attachment which makes for a neater system, watch Sgt. Rocks underquilt suspension video.

No sewing loops on your hammock to streamline UQ suspension. I'm hoping to make a DIY version of the Miskito this year! The Miskito weights 15oz with my mods and whoopie slings. Compare that to my Hennesey Explorer UL which weighs nearly 2 pounds and is twice the size when packed as the Miskito.

Check out the poncho liner underquilt (PLUQ)threads under DIY or Insulation. Poncho liners are $20-$40 and with the hammock @ $40 you've got a hammock, bugnet, and underquilt for $80, if you already have a sleeping bag you're set to camp in 40 - 50 degree nights depending on the rating of your bag and how you make your PLUQ. And that's about 1/2 of your budget! You could also look at Hennesey's Scout model, and Hennesey is a fine company to deal with. Now if you go with the Miskito and the PLUQ, that leaves you $70 for a tarp, and that's very doable.

http://www.jacksrbetter.com/shop/egret-tarp/

http://www.outdoorequipmentsupplier....ccat_tarps.php

http://wildernesslogics.com/Tad-Pole-Tad-Pole.htm

You will be hard pressed to find a better company than Wilderness Logics!

I'm not a huge fan of the cordage of the Miskito hammock so I changed out the existing on one for my daughter. Link to the thread below.

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=56767

Good Luck!!

Quote Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
    Hey guys,

I've been wondering how I can convince my mom to let me get a hammock for my bedroom. I've had my heart set on a hammock for about 5 months, yet every time I ask I get a "No."

So, a few questions:

1, how do I get my mom to let me buy myself a hammock?
    2, what size hammock would be good? (BTW, I'm 5'0", 115 lbs)
    3, which brand of hammock should I get?
    4, are there any hammock and support sets that cost less than 149 dollars?

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wookie
    Suspension
    DaisyChain/Carab
    Just a thought...

If you want your mom to be more comfortable with the idea, don't build it yourself. Buy one that you can show her has a great history of reviews and safety.

Hammock
    My bedsheet
    Tarp
    my other bedsheet
    Suspension
    double knots
    Thanks guys! I didn't expect such a huge amount of info!

I asked my mom about her reasoning, and she said that "I'd be uncomfortable" and "there isn't a way to put it up safely indoors". So, should I write up a report on various types of stands?

Hammock
    WWM or tablecloth
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    shamu 40*
    Suspension
    UCR whoopie
    Images
    Sounds reasonable... The Tuttle dog or turtle lady stand are good easy places... Or there are a few premade ones you can buy depending on your preference...
    Live, Laugh, Love, if that doesn't work. Load, Aim and Fire, repeat as necessary...

Buy, Try, Learn, Repeat

Hammock
    Ask me tomorrow
    Tarp
    Old Blue
    Insulation
    DIY, HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Agnostic
    Images
    A compare/contrast report on the benefits and cons of various stands is a fantastic idea! Areas of focus could be cost, storability, design asthetics, adaptability to various spaces.

You might also research cultures that rely solely on hammocks as an aid in rearing children, etc. So many cultures across our globe use hammocks and there is quite a bit of research on the physical benefits. I recommend you try not to be biased, though. Do fair research on both hammocks and beds.

One final idea is to find a local hang to take your mom to. She can see many hammocks and talk to experts in our hammock community.

My best to you. Keep us updated.

Hammock
    Ridge Outdoor Gear Pinnacle 360
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
    Thanks guys! I didn't expect such a huge amount of info!

I asked my mom about her reasoning, and she said that "I'd be uncomfortable" and "there isn't a way to put it up safely indoors". So, should I write up a report on various types of stands?
    Welcome to the fun.
    What I might recommend is to have your mom by your side as much as possible. See if she shows an interest in YOUR interest. Do your research with mom at your side so she will see what you know. Have her "try" a few hammocks with you. Don't be pushy about it, just casual style, let her think of some solutions, also.

Good luck with your relaxation.
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

Hammock
    DIY Knotty/Speer special, RED
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    50 extree pounds
    Suspension
    Whoopy slings
    How did I put this before. By the time a person changes mattresses the mattress itself weighs 30% more then when it was bought. That ain't Sweet dreams and sunshine, its skin, mites, sweat, any number of other secretions, Zit juice, just a total number of nastiness.

A Hammock you can throw in the washer once a week, month whenever it's dirty. Ever tried stickin a double sized mattress in the ole whirlpool?

Hammocks is cleaner. Hammocks help inspire deeper sleep with the gentle rocking motion a mother gives her child. Everyday I get up, store my blanket and pillows and roll my hammock up and stack it on the shelf next to them. The area that WAS occupied by a queen size bed is now open for alternate use. With the exception of the couple days I've just hung out and watched movies in my room, I've made my bed every day since January 18th, 2011.

My mother would be proud of that fact alone.

Hammock
    DIY Knotty/Speer special, RED
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    50 extree pounds
    Suspension
    Whoopy slings
    Now for HER side.

Where is she going to store your bedding?
    IF you hang from the walls, you're going to at least put a couple holes in the wall. If you really screw up you could do some structural damage. As an adult this is no big deal for me, I can fix whatever I break.
    If you put a stand in your room NOW your damaging her floors. And of course with all the hypersensitivity we have nowadays with wayward youths going on killing spree ANYTIME you do something out of the norm your mom is going to freak and worry that you've gone psycho and that she's failed.

But mostly it's a change thing. You're on the wavefront, she isn't. It's her house not yours. Work them changes in gradually.

Forgot to mention, if you hang from her trees you'll kill the bark. Sometimes you just can't win.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast