WBBB 1.7 single
    Tarp
    12 X 12 Guide Gear
    Insulation
    DIY synthetic UQ
    Suspension
    Adjustable webbing

Boundary Waters use

I'm taking my first BWCA hang the first week in July. I don't have an underquilt yet, so I was planning on taking along a windshield shade and a space blanket to use one or both as underpads. For those of you who have experience hanging in the BWCA, do you think this is sufficient to keep me warm? No need for underpad? Other suggestions? Thanks!

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Hinterland gear
    Insulation
    down bag
    Suspension
    strap & E.T.'s
    Images
    It depends on how warm a sleeper you are. I have a friend who uses no pads or quilts ever and sleeps fine. I however sleep rather cooly so I would for sure have a full length pad or quilt. I've only done two trips to the BW both in july or august and I think I would go with more than a windshield shade. You could use the windshield shade to make some "wings" for a wally world pad to give some extra width from the waist up, they'd be sufficient for that. Beyond that do a few test runs at home with just the windshield shade and see it thats enough for you. Pads and UQ's are really all about personal preference.
    Good luck,
    RED

My Youtube Channel

Deep peace of the running wave to you.
    Deep peace of the flowing air to you.
    Deep peace of the quiet earth to you.
    Deep peace of the shining stars to you.
    Deep peace without end to you.
    adapted from - ancient gaelic runes

Hammock
    Gt UL, 1.7 wbbb
    Tarp
    GG, monsoon,suprfl
    Insulation
    PLUQ, jarbidge, di
    Suspension
    Whoopie wb-strap
    Images
    I would say that you might bring a little more. I take an annual trip to the BWCA every summer near the end of July. This past trip we had two night that were right at 40 degrees my son was plenty warm with his thermarest but I had a PLUQ and once it got below 50 I started to feel it. I had a 40 degree sleeping bag which seemed to keep up just fine but I ended up sleeping on the life jackets which was not at all comfortable. Your tarp is another thing to look at. If you have a big enough tarp it will make a huge difference. On the first night I was using the stock hennessy tarp. The second night I switched out for my granite gear 12x12, closed up on both ends. That night I didnt need the life jackets to sleep on and it was about the same temp as the night before.

Keep in mind that you can't get to your car in the BWCA what you bring is all you have and there is no going back if you go in a ways. I know that I was not expecting 40 degree weather in the last week of July and I was not entirely prepared luckily I had enough gear that I could make it work. The last thing I would tell you is test your gear. There is no better way to figure it out than to try it for yourself.

After that trip I bought bought a jarbidge and I can tell you that it is a great little UQ if I had that I have no doubts that I would have been toasty.

If Money is the biggest hurdle I would start with a PLUQ and test is if you need more supplement it. IMHO quiklts are much more comfortable but some like the pads.
    Dammfast

“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”

― Mark Twain

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    HG std CF3
    Insulation
    Yeti; Mt. Wash. 4
    Suspension
    Dutchware kevlar
    Images
    I've done somewhere around thirty BWCA trips. There are fond memories of waking up one fourth of July morning to find frozen water bottles. Last year I soloed in early August and experienced two or three nights of thirty degree temps. You can get cold spells up there almost any time of the year.

Only you can determine what amount of insulation you need but, for me, your plans sound a little on the light side.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by obxh2o; 01-06-2013 at 20:18.
    "I go because it irons out the wrinkles in my soul." -- Sigurd Olson

Hammock
    WBBB DL 1.1 & 1.7
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    HG Incbtr-AH Potmc
    Suspension
    WB Adj Web
    Images
    Remember that when canoeing you can go a little heavier since you are not carrying the gear all that far. I agree that your gear sounds a little light. You'll be several hours north of Appleton and nights can dip pretty cold in summer. A regular wallyworld ccf plus the window shade and space blanket would be as light as I would go. Using the window shade as wings for the sides is a great way to go. Also, take a look at the SPE instructions on this site. AND read up on ways to keep the pad under you. If you have a single layer hammock that can be tricky. A double layer makes it much easier.
    The road to success is always under construction.
    http://hikingillinois.blogspot.com/

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 single
    Tarp
    12 X 12 Guide Gear
    Insulation
    DIY synthetic UQ
    Suspension
    Adjustable webbing
    Thanks everyone for your valuable feedback. Since I tend to sleep cold, I think the best bet would be for me to err on the safe/warm side with my 5/8" thick, 74" X 26" EVA pad. Much appreciated.

Hammock
    hennessy exped asym
    Images
    I've used a windshield shade before and woke up soaking wet from sweating all night, yuk!! You would do much better to spend the $100 on a Jarbridge UQ. Hands down one of the best investments I've made - no slipping, no sliding, no sweating, just a nice cozy comfy warm sleep.
    Debi

• + New Posts