GT Double/Single
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wallyworld CCF Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH

Multiple hammocks?

In just about every newbie thread you guys mention something along the lines of 'you'll have several more in a few months' and it got me wondering; why do you all have multiple hammocks? I can see two possibilities; either it's a 'horses for courses' deal and you have one for each situation, or you simply took a couple to get to where you wanted to be and kept the failed experiments.

So with regards to backpacking hammocks, as that is my focus, why do you own several hammocks and do you use them all or have you found your favorite and just stick to that.

Images
    Currently, I am a one horse man, but that is only because I have passed two others down to my kids.

swank

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx/Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    It's a bit of both for me. I have multiple because I wanted to try multiple styles and I found I liked different ones for different reasons. As it relates to backpacking, if I'm going long distances quickly, I'll usually take a lighter gathered end and smaller tarp. If the distances/trip is more casual, I'll take my heavier RidgeRunner and a larger tarp.

That flexible, modlar system is one of the reasons I really enjoy hammocks.
    Brian
    Denver, CO
    Father. Husband. Scoutmaster.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    For me, it's a little bit of column A and a little bit of column B.

I started with the Hennessy Explorer Ultralight. Easy to use, great for FL weather with the integral bug netting, lightweight for a commercial product.

I then decided to try my hand at DIY. My result was more comfortable and lighter, with a removable bug net. I'm still working on the accessories for that one (hope to have my 20* set up done before the Third Annual Hang...), but I've been very pleased with it so far.

I've kept the Hennessy around so that I have a backup (in case I screw something up rather...spectacularly), and also so that I can lend it out to friends who want to try their hands at hanging.
    "Just prepare what you can and enjoy the rest."
    --Floridahanger

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DBL
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Sleeping BearTQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Straps and Slings
    Images
    For some, it's probably finding the right for them, for others it's probably different hammocks for different situations. I use a BB when I need the bug protection but I prefer my homemade gathered end without a net. We are always intrigued by the newest, greatest design though. Sometimes it's too enticing to resist and we end up with multiple hammocks. It's all fun though.
    "We don't stop hiking because we grow old,
    we grow old because we stop hiking."

-- Finis Mitchell,

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl.
    Tarp
    WBSuperfly w/doors
    Insulation
    JRB TQ & UQ quilts
    Suspension
    Web
    I have one with a net for bug season and a netless DIY for winter.
    "In your face space coyote"-HJS

Hammock
    Dream Hammock ThunderBird
    Tarp
    Zpack Cuben 7X9
    Insulation
    JRBSierraSniveller
    Suspension
    ring buckle system
    Images
    For me it's that hammock makers keep coming out with new, better and lighter hammocks and I haven't found a easy way to get rid of the old ones. But, I also have two or three I use regularly, not just one.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images
    Started out "Collecting" to try other styles. Now,,, well I'm just not sure I think. I do have one that is specific use, my in house hammock is only used inside. Then there is my "Primary hammock" that I use the most, & a Backup/loaner hammock for well, backup & loaning out. & I have a few lounging hammocks that are HEAVY cotton, for short naps in the back yard.

It's only an addiction if you are trying to quit.
    When you have a backpack on, no matter where you are, you’re home.
    PAIN is INEVITABLE. MISERY is OPTIONAL.

Hammock
    DIY Timber Wolf or Grey Wolf
    Tarp
    DIY Wolf Den
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear, UGQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Slings
    I cannot tell a lie. I'm a gear junkie. No getting around it. I have 3 (one of which was given to me). For usual backpacking trips I carry a custom made 11'x5' hammock. It weighs 18.2 oz that includes tree straps, whoopies, etc. I have a 11.5' by 5.5' for general hanging around at home, camping, etc. I use it to save my custom hammock from wear and tear. I also have a Grand Trunk Nano 7 that is the itsy bitsy hammock I reserve for ultralight backpacking. 7 oz of pure bliss.

But, as I started this post, "I cannot tell a lie. I'm a gear junkie. No getting around it." And, I have passed hammocks and other gear along to others to make room for new things for me to try.

Retirement: it'll never happen. I'm having too much fun working and playing. Couldn't stand to play ALL the time.
    The beauty of sunsets,
    The wind in the pines,
    The mountains give these and more...
    Peace of mind.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    UGQ Hanger 11 WB
    Insulation
    3S Phnx/1S GoLite
    Suspension
    Straps/Whoopies
    Images
    I think it's part fun, part "grass greener on the other side of the fence", part trying what others praise, and one part of trying to find the perfect hammock for you and realizing that there may not be a perfect one for every situation.

I have five hammocks and I'm typing this with a huge tablecloth on my lap getting ready to be pinned for sewing in a channel on each end. All five of my current hammocks are "best" at different things But there isn't one that is perfect for every situation. My current hammocks, in order of when they were purchased, and their reason for staying close to my heart are:
    • Big mayan hammock - my most comfortable hammock by far and great for hot weather... not so great for limited space, cool weather, or bugs
    • DIY DL ripstop - I love this one because I made it but also because it is big and is good for cold weather because it is simple, has the two layers, and my UQ fits it like a glove
    • WBBB DL - this is my backpacking hammock
    • ENO DN - I sleep in this one every night hanging from my TurtleDog stand, it is very comfy (and I'm 6'2" so don't let anyone tell you it is too short unless you are much taller than me), it is very nice for side sleeping and is a great lounging hammock (but it loses to the mayan in every way)
    • WBRR DL - Very VERY comfortable and good for camping but since I'm a side sleeper it isn't perfect. It is great, however, to let a newbie sleep in because there really isn't any learning curve for getting a comfortable lay
    • 90"x156" tablecloth "Brazilian" (in progress) - this will probably replace my ENO DN depending on how it feels but I'll still keep the DN as a loaner

I have some light ripstop that I'll probably make an ultralight hiking lounge hammock for taking short breaks along the trail.

Overall, it's probably not too different from vehicles. You can get by with just one car (I do) but it would be nice to have a fuel efficient car, a truck, an SUV w/ 4WD, a van or mini van, an RV, a convertible, a luxury car, a sports car, and maybe a classic car or two. They would all fill different niches but still technically get you from A to B. I just can't afford multiple cars... so I do the hammock thing

Dave
    The best things in life aren't things. -- Art Buchwald

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast