Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

BlackBird Ordered but . . .

Help,

I'm just getting back into backpacking as a way to reduce stress, body weight and to enjoy life.

I'm 6'1, currently 230 lbs and live in Houston.

Most of my backpacking will be in and around Houston with yearly trips to areas such as Flagstaff, North Carolina, etc.

So what I've asked Brandon to prepare for me is a Double 1.7 with the webbing suspension.

Does everyone concur that this is the best option (compared to the Jack's R Better version)?

Additionally . . . what else do I need?

- I was thinking a Jack's R Better Quilt to keep warm, but what about for underneath me?
    - What about a tarp?

Other suggestions are welcomed. I'll continue to read through the forums looking for answers as well.

Cheers,
    Chris

Stockton, New Jersey (along the Delaware River)
    Hammock
    Warbonnet BlackBird
    Tarp
    HG-4SCCCFT/WBSF
    Insulation
    Crowsnest/JRB MWUQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies, DW baby
    Well, in my opinion the BB from Warbonnetguy is the best thing out there that I have in my hammock arsenal...... shhhhhh....my wife doesn't really know how many hammocks I do have!! great comfort and ease of hanging. It's like hitting the lottery IMO.

As far as tarps, check out a MacCat, best out there for the money

www.outdoorequipmentsupplier.com/about.html

As far as insulation, it all depends on what conditions you will be hanging in. There is plenty out there as far as pads, quilts, both over and under you. Welcome to the hanging crowd.......
    "Surround yourself with the best people you can find, delegate authority, and don't interfere."- RONALD REAGAN

"There is new life in the soil for every man. There is healing in the trees for tired minds and for our overburdened spirits, there is strength in the hills, if only we will lift up our eyes. Remember that nature is your great restorer." - CALVIN COOLIDGE

My Backpacking Site

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Wow - two first time posters at once, and one's been a member for two years! Welcome to both of you.

The "best" hammock is completely a personal preference...what's comfortable for my body type and sleeping style may not match yours, so my "best" will differ from yours. But everybody seems to agree that the BB is a very comfortable hammock with a very flat lay.

And a top quilt certainly a convenient way to stay warm. I use the JRB No Sniveler for almost all of my camping, and just got the Shenandoah for summer camping. Very good quality gear.

Re: the tarp, that depends on the conditions you'll be camping in. I think the MacCat Standard is an excellent compromise between light weight, easy setup, and good coverage. It's my go-to tarp for most condition. I'm also testing a JRB 10x11 tarp...enormous coverage, which is great for cold windy conditions and hanging two hammocks under it. Of course, it's heavier and takes more space to set up than one of the smaller version...so like I said, we need more info on your average camping trip to recommend a tarp.

Same with bottom insulation...what you need depends on conditions and on what you're comfortable with. You might as well start with 2 Walmart CCF camping pads and see if you're comfortable on them. If so, you can save a a couple hundred dollars in underquilts. If not, you're only out $12 and now you know for sure why you're spending a couple hundred dollars in underquilts (or more for some of us).
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Chris,

Welcome to the addiction! You've hit a home run with the BlackBird, from what I hear. You've ordered EXACTLY what I would order.

(I hope to have a BB some day soon. I know Brandon has been swamped, so I decided to wait until after the holiday craziness has settled a bit for him.)

I see that you're in Houston and will be more than willing to help, if I can. I'm in the Spring area. I'm no expert by ANY stretch of the imagination as far as all this hammock camping is concerned...but I'll be glad to lend a hand.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images
    "And another one bites the dust"

Insert evil laugh here.

Welcome aboard, you'll likely never go back to ground again. I know I will not.
    When you have a backpack on, no matter where you are, you’re home.
    PAIN is INEVITABLE. MISERY is OPTIONAL.

Alan,

I emailed brandon this afternoon . . . only a two week wait.

Pm sent about Houston

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    Chris,

Welcome to the addiction! You've hit a home run with the BlackBird, from what I hear. You've ordered EXACTLY what I would order.

(I hope to have a BB some day soon. I know Brandon has been swamped, so I decided to wait until after the holiday craziness has settled a bit for him.)

I see that you're in Houston and will be more than willing to help, if I can. I'm in the Spring area. I'm no expert by ANY stretch of the imagination as far as all this hammock camping is concerned...but I'll be glad to lend a hand.

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    I am amazed at how Brandon can hammer out these hammocks so fast. He must have a good system of patterns and such. More power to him.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Hammock
    WB Blackbird & Traveler
    Tarp
    MC SpinntexDeLux
    Insulation
    MW3,Yeti,HGsb,UL90
    Suspension
    WS
    Images
    Welcome, you have found THE site for info & feedback regarding Hammock camping. Without this forum I probably would have been butt frozen back to ground dwelling.

In one season I've tried couple other hammocks before settling on the BB as the hammock of choice. The nice thing about hammocks and their accessories is the flexibility for a wide range of conditions. Unfortunately that can result in the collection of a wide range of gear.

I learned the hard way (pre-hammockforums.net days) that for me I need some form of bottom side insulation once night temps drop below upper-60's. Found out with time that I prefer a quilt vs. bag for topside insulation and prefer moderate tarp coverage. Eventually you will figure out what works for you under the conditions you camp in.

For what it's worth, this is my current kit that I'm real content with.
    Hammock: WBG BB 1.1 single
    Tarp: OES MC Deluxe Spinntex
    Topside Insulation: BMW UL 90 for T>mid 60'sF
    JRB Nest for T<mid 60'sF, warm down to the low 20'sF
    Bottomside Insulation: HH ocf+sb+JRB WS2 for temps down to mid 40F
    JRB Mt. Washington for T<mid 40'sF

Noel V.

Hammock
    Hammock gear
    Tarp
    Dyneema Hammock ge
    Insulation
    Down top and botto
    Suspension
    Hammock gear
    Images
    Chris, I have the exact BB that you ordered. I am 220 pound and I think the double bottom is a must for me, also Brandon says they lay flatter. Congrats on your new BB. Mule
    Predictions are risky, especially when it comes to the future.

Thanks everyone for all the help.

Being that I'm in houston, most of my camping will be in a very hot and humid enviornment. I tend to sleep hot. Is their a temperature range in which you don't even mess with an UQ?

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast