Tadpole/ Superfly
    Insulation
    HG- TQ,UQ- DIY PL
    Suspension
    Whoopie,D Buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dejoha View Post
    Oh, and I guess I should mention this:

I am NOT sponsored by Handy Hammock, nor do I have any business relationship with them, in case anyone thought differently or was curious. As I stated in my review, I was given a review sample upon request.

I do not receive any royalties, kick-backs, or renumeration for any of this. My review was as objective as I could make it, detailing what I saw were flaws or challenges with the stand.

Anyway, I just thought MAD777 and Roadrunner72 might be interested that I tested the stand with an 11' hammock. It works.
    Never thought you were sponsored by them. Thought your review was an unbiased opinion. Just my. 02. Glad to see that it can be used with the longer hammocks. I actually reread your review, and saw that you tried different hammocks. If I ever did get one, I would make the changes that you recommended, as I think it would be an improvement......RR
    I'm a member of PETA!!!!

People
    Eating
    Tasty
    Animals

Hammock
    Handy Hammock
    Insulation
    Bespoke
    Images
    Jeff,
    Many thanks for the review. It appears that your initial pitch of the Handy Hammock was a bit taught so maybe we need to clarify our instructions. The unloaded hammock should sag a little even before you load it. When you lay out the pitch the guy lines should not be so far from the strut base as to pull the hammock completely tight.

With regards to your comment: "I can't speak for the vendor about selling without the hammock, obviously. If I were the vendor, I'd be a little leery of selling it without the hammock just because of how the parts work...have to control for people using it wrong and getting hurt, then getting mad at the maker. With the hammock integrated into the system, it works pretty well. I'm sure there's a workaround in there, but that means more R&D for the vendor.", I've had a few people contacting me directly enquiring about a) getting the stand without the hammock at a lower price and b) getting single struts so that they can achieve a 1-tree hang. After some consideration I'm pleased to say that the answer is yes to both . I recognise that if you already have a bunch of hammocks you're going to want to use our stand with your existing kit and if you can hang a hammock I'm sure you can make sensible choices about how to use our struts without falling on you rear!

a) We will be making the stand available without the hammock (probably in April when we get started on our second production batch) but the price will be almost the same as the standard set, just slightly cheaper as the hammock is not a major component cost of the system. These stands will include additional O-rings and Dyneema cord to facilitate easy use with hammocks from other manufacturers. Here's the prototype which is in the post (with instructions) to you and all our other reviewers - looking forward to your feedback on it. (We deliberatley used components already in stock)

b) Yes we will be selling single struts. Again, probably April when we will get started on manufacturing more units for the Spring/Summer season. For anyone interested in a one-tree hang the single strut system will add just 24 ounces (under 700 grams) to your gear.

@Roadrunnr72
    Yes the price is something we are working on but it's a chicken and egg situation. We need to sell some to generate cash for higher production runs and economies of scale. Happy to offer bulk prices for a group sale if you want to speak with other scout groups etc. We're also investigating shipping a bunch of stock to a US holding address to see if we can reduce the shipping costs to US custmomers.

Thanks again Jeff and to our other reviewers and anyone that has given feedback and comments on our hammock stand. We do try to read all the feedback and ultimtely it should become a better product because of it.

By the way, here's my Dad's singe garage converted to a workshop with a hammock rigged up using floor bolts to secure the 4 guylines... This picture shows him testing the o-ring above (on the strut closest to the camera) in indoors comfort while there was snow ouside

And after testing is complete... what better way to relax?...

PS If anyone reading this has a relevant blog and wants a review hammock do get in touch. We need some more quality web-links into our website to give us a chance of getting listed higher in the search engines.

For product updates etc, do please signup for our occassional email newsletter or Facebook page...
    http://www.handyhammock.co.uk/page/newsletter
    http://www.facebook.com/HandyHammock

Thanks!
    Handy Hammock: The Worlds lightest portable hammock stand (54 ounces inc hammock)

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    That's awesome, Jason! Having a single strut would make car-camping in campgrounds or deserts much easier as well...just hang off the car!

Seeing your new component for other hammocks, I think I will connect a structural ridgeline between the rings so I can set up the whole stand on its own. Then I will connect the hammock to those rings separately. At least for hammocks without a bug net and built-in structural ridgeline.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    DIY 8oz 30D Marpet Camo
    Tarp
    DIY 12x10 4 Season
    Insulation
    MSS & PLUQ & PLTQ
    Suspension
    DIY-Woopie Sling
    I'm in for a group too!!!

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Hammockgear
    Insulation
    Te-Wa & JRB
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    I have one arriving next month. A blue one. Looking forward to it.

Jason, nice setup you got there in that tiny garage.

Always feel good to support a start-up. Best wishes to you and your family.

Hammock
    Handy Hammock
    Insulation
    Bespoke
    Images
    George,
    Many thanks for your support! We hope you enjoy ours (Please exuse the pun)
    Handy Hammock: The Worlds lightest portable hammock stand (54 ounces inc hammock)

Hammock
    Clark NX-250, ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    Clark Vertex Tarp
    Insulation
    Clark Pockets
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Hey Jason, I just emailed you while reading the first part of this review requesting a stand without hammock and then after I came back and read more, much to my surprise here you are. Welcome to Hammock Forums. With what you are doing this is certainly a community that you need to be a part of. Great bunch of guys. You couldn't ask for a better R&D department. I would like to order but I may just wait until the new until is available in April. Or maybe then some people would like to do a group buy.

I have been looking for about a year for a lite-weight solution mainly for the beach. I want to set up a hammock in the sand with the waves crashing beneath me and hang at night.... Will these pegs work in wet sand? I was wondering if they would erode. Also, how sturdy is this set-up, not that I would but could I swing sideways if I wanted?
    It's hard to have a bad day in a good hammock. - Jeremy Flatt

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Elite - I think this stand would be great for the beach, but I wouldn't put it below the water line...pretty sure the waves would erode the sand enough that you'd be wet in the morning.

I don't have a place to test in the sand at the moment (unless we can make it to Great Sand Dunes NP before this summer...which is possible), but it might be a good idea to use sand/snow anchors instead of the stakes. Guess it would depend on the sand's consistency.

That's definitely the kind of use I'd expect for this stand to excel. It's small enough to be backpackable if you don't ultralight, so beach and desert camping make perfect sense. Now to test it!
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    Tarp
    Clark Vertex Tarp
    Insulation
    Clark Pockets
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Sounds good... at the beach I wouldnt use it all night... just for an hour or so to relax...

Hammock
    Tarp
    Clark Vertex Tarp
    Insulation
    Clark Pockets
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I could throw some of these down on each side ;o)
    http://sandsharkanchor.com/wp-conten...llow-water.jpg

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast