DIY
    Tarp
    OES Spinn
    Insulation
    RAB & WM Blue CCF
    Suspension
    Many DIY

Anyone use a poncho for hammock tarp?

Need a tarp for my hammock and was thinking about just making a big poncho and using that as my tarp. (Like 10x6) If it helps I'm using an ENO hammock but may switch to something else soon.

I would only use this setup 3 season and realize I might have to pitch the tarp low in gusty conditions.

Chances are I'll switch to a cheap byer hammock or maybe warbonnet (if I can get the $$) by the time I take this setup on my 120mi June excursion.

Hammock
    Hammock gear
    Tarp
    Dyneema Hammock ge
    Insulation
    Down top and botto
    Suspension
    Hammock gear
    Images
    I think you will need a larger tarp than that for your hammock. Seems to me you will need at lease an 8x8 hung as a diamond or larger. Mule
    Predictions are risky, especially when it comes to the future.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    You can get by with smaller. There are a couple pics on my site of folks using ponchos in the field. The problem is setting up camp in the rain...
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    I have used a poncho as a supplemental tarp, or an over cover, in high wind situations. My only complaint was the noise.

Last week, I used a poncho as an over cover on a real cold night. It completely covered the bugnet, except for an opening at the head end. Later, I decided it might have been overkill.
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Senior Member ringtail-THFKAfood's Avatar
    Hammock
    Warbonnet Black Bird
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    WB Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

poncho

I use a poncho as the fly on my Hennessy. It works great on a bottom entry hammock when you attach your fly to the hammock lines so that the fly is very close to the hammock.

It will work on smaller top entry hammocks, but you have to set the fly so low it is inconvenient to enter/exit the hammock.

The Campmor Ultralight extension the GoLite ponchos are almost exactly the same size.
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    - Mark Twain

Images
    It can certainly be done and will no doubt save you money and weight. I toyed with this idea before my long hike and decided against it after I tried it on a shakedown trip. I waited until a rainy weekend was forecast and them set off. This time the weatherman was right and it rained and T-stormed for most of the time I was out. Setting up the tarp in the rain was difficult but doable. It would probably get easier with practice. I keep my ridgelines seperate so I first clipped them around the two support trees and placed the lines on the ground toward the center. After securing one corner to the first tree I picked up the second ridgeline, removed my head from the hood while still supporting the poncho, worked my way down to the opposite corner and tied it off. It was then fairly easy to stake the remaining corners out. You have to remember that the ridgelines and stakes need to be placed into a pocket that can be reached while still wearing your pack. Now you can drop your pack. I tried to seal the hood from underneath by cinching the drawcord but I never could get it to stop leaking. I had to wait for a lull in the wind to run out and wrap it properly. A hoodless poncho with an off center opening might solve this problem, but then I need a hat. My hammock straps seperate from my hammock at the cinch buckles. Did I remember to attach them along with the ridgelines and drag them into the area to be covered by the tarp? That would be, no. Back out into the rain. Again, practice and prior planning would help. Ok, so everything is set up, I get out of my sweat and rain soaked clothes and change into my dry camp wear, sit down and cook a meal, Listen to the rain, reflect on the day, journal, you get the idea. Then it hit me, I needed to dig a cathole. What's that old saying about animals not eating and,well you know, in the same spot. Guess what I had to do...du...dudu? My choice was to just go squat in the rain, break camp and take my poncho, or take care of "bidness" under the protection of the tarp. I made two decisions right there. One was to stay dry while I relieved myself and the other was not to use this setup on my hike. To add insult to injury, hiking out on the last day I managed to snag the poncho on some briars and ripped a section across the ridge area, preventing it from being used as a tarp. Which brought me to another consideration. How many eggs do I feel comfortable placing in one basket? I decided that my shelter and my sleeping bag/quilt should be my FPL or final protective line from the elements. If all else fails I want to be able to set up camp and stay dry and warm enough to keep me from dying. That brings me to the topic of using your sleeping insulation as your primary (day wear) insulation but that's for another thread.
    I'm not saying all this to discourage you from HYOH (That's Hanging Your Own Hang). By all means if it works for you, go for it. There are several people who do what you are suggesting and maybe they have managed to work around these things that I consider negatives and could chime in here with some advice. Age might be a factor. When I was in the infantry, it seemed that I was always wet and cold or wet and hot or wet and somewhat comfortable, or just plain wet. It was the life of a Grunt and, as a young buck, a badge I wore with pride. Not anymore. I just want to make sure that you consider the whole picture and not just the weight savings. During my hike I weathered two tropical storms, countless thunder storms and a rain of near biblical proportions in Maine. For that kind of weather I need a tarp and rain gear. Good luck with what ever you decide and have fun!
    Brian
    ...and there came to be a day, all too soon, that I became aware that I could travel no more on my long journey. Though I did not arrive where I had planned, I believe that here is exactly where I am supposed to be...

Images
    T-Back,
    Thanks for that very interesting post. That is one of the most informative and useful posts I have read, based on real world experience. And then taking into account personal prefs and considerations.

I have oft considered switching to a poncho/tarp system, but in the end have decided in favor of some extra weight with a separate tarp and rain gear. Though I still think a poncho, possibly used to augment a lighter tarp, might be a fine alternative for me one day.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    OES Spinn
    Insulation
    RAB & WM Blue CCF
    Suspension
    Many DIY
    Thanks for the great input...

It would appear that do this I would need to either A) carry raingear or B) carry tarp. I have a really light rain jacket (like 9oz) but it seems like a tarp is smarter. Looks like I might have to just try it in the rain on a shakedown.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock ThunderBird
    Tarp
    Zpack Cuben 7X9
    Insulation
    JRBSierraSniveller
    Suspension
    ring buckle system
    Images
    I've tried to make a poncho/tarp work for years, but for me it doesn't work. By the time I get one large enough to work as a tarp over my hammock, it's too large for me to wear. I wind up stepping on the front of the poncho, expecially when climbing up rocks, etc.

But, the poncho has saved me from a uncomfortable night on two occasions. On one night, in Connecticut on the AT, a storm came up and we had blowing rain. It blew under my MacCat Deluxe tarp from a quartering wind and my head was getting wet. I set up the poncho over the upper part of my hammock and I stayed dry and comfortable the rest of the night. On another occasion I was trying out a new bigger winter tarp. The tarp was advertized as seam sealed, but rain was leaking through the center ridgeline and getting everything wet. I was again able to rig the poncho to shed just the water coming through the ridge line and was able to sleep.

Right now, in addition to a new MacCat 8 X 10 rectangle SpinnTex tarp, I carry a MLD poncho/tarp plus a rain jacket. I haven't experienced any rain with the new tarp, but am sure sometime in the next six months I'll know if it works. I'd like to cut the MLD poncho down to about 4 X 8 (or maybe 5 X 8) and use it as a weather shield underneith my hammock. It might be a little small for rain protection while hiking, but would keep my pack dry (pack covers just don't seem to work). Unfortunately, I can't sew and live in a small trailer, so setting up a sewing machine would be difficult at best.

Hope this helps,

Images
    what I would suggest is to use a poncho tarp in weathers where there is light rain and/or light wind. A poncho tarp would not last long in heavy wind a few of my poncho tore that way. And in heavy rain you would like to have your rain gear with you and not above you tied up. If you are expecting heavy weather I would suggest bringing the poncho for your rain gear and a extra tarp for your shelter.

I also ask this same question before. I will try to place the link here if I can find it again.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast